User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Present for cousin - camera and photography course help??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Present for cousin - camera and photography course help??

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, I thought that this would be a good place to start...

My cousin's 30th b'day is coming up and all she talks about is how she would love to learn about photography.
    So a bunch of us family members have decided to put in money and buy her a nice camera and enrol her in a beginners photography class.

Only questions we have is: what's a good starter camera AND can anyone recommend any good beginners photography classes in Perth? I have tried google for the courses but it's hard to know which ones are any good so I thought insider knowledge would be more valuable

Thank you, any help would be appreciated.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF YOU CAN GET TOGETHER ENOUGH FOR A 7D ITS A GOOD CAMERA and will be right for most subjects
    i would then give her a link to this forum instead of money on the course
    your cousin will learn heaps on the tutorials etc and participating
    cheers macca

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you say 'starter camera' are you looking for a Digital SLR? How serious do you think your cousin wants to be with photography? Perhaps a high end point and shoot or one of the interchangeable lens cameras would suit? We need to know a bit more about what you think your cousin will do photographically before we can give really good advice here.

As said above, they could learn a lot from this site, but if you want a course or two in Perth, look up the camera clubs in the area. I reckon a membership of one of the clubs could be good, and it will get your cousin meeting other photographers too. Many clubs hold workshops as well.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Georginaaa - a!
    I second the second point by Macca - whether in Perth, Brisbane, Sydney, even Bendig , and you could prove it for Belconnen.
    But the question of "good" would have to remain "moot". (Pity they don't sound the same!)
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing that hasn't been mentioned as yet is that it is extremely difficult to recommend what might be a 'good' camera without being told a budget..

As a pretty good beginners camera I might recommend a Sony NEX-5 or similar, but an entry level DSLR may be just as or even more suitable depending on lots of factors.

For what it's worth, my first camera was a Nikon D90 with 18-105 lens and I still think it's a pretty solid option.
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The free course is here ...... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...otography_Book
    The ongoing eduction can also be found by participating here on AP. (as you can see, questions are answered, mmm, sometimes with more questions)
    You then have more money to spend on a camera.
    As the cousin learns and decides to pursue photography more (or not), then they can decide what course to do later (or have a more expensive camera to sell 2nd hand).
    They may decide they like a particular area of photography like macro or landscape. They could then choice a course that is more specific. They may have a talent and decide to start a business. Then the money should be spent on a course on how to run a business.

Are you a photographer Georginaaa? If so, hope to see you around AP. If not, get a camera and start taking photos.
    Last edited by Mark L; 25-06-2013 at 10:05pm.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.