16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The black stealth skin is back, it may have the odd wrinkle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kym, for some reason my enter/return key isn't working in AP, working normally in all other apps.... any ideas?
    Shirl
    Gear - 7D, Canon 100mm macro f2.8L, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, nifty fifty, tripod, hitech filters, lowepro versapack and a long wishlist!
    http://www.shirleymilburn.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyMilburnPhotography

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant mongo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kym,

over the last few days or a little longer, Mongo has noticed that the site is slower to open new pages. At first the forum page would only half open and then the other half about 5 seconds later. At times when Mongo goes to a new forum or opens a PM, the time wheel shows up for a few seconds. Opening up post to edit what Mongo has just written takes much longer now. There are other similar episodes also occurring. None of these have ever occurred before and my system has not changed (IMAC using Safari using latest software). Don't know if this was expected by you but just reporting for your information.
    Last edited by mongo; 02-07-2013 at 8:19pm.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Certainly not something I am seeing here Mongo. Would be interested to hear if others are experiencing similar issues to what Mongo is reporting
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This latest release of software is faster (as measured on the server) due to better caching.

So the performance issues are very likely to be network issues anywhere between you and California (where we are hosted)

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mongo -- I've enabled performance stats on your account.
    You get something like this on the bottom of each page.

Uptime: 31 Days 11:26:40 MySQL Uptime: 0 Days 2:16:57 Page generated in 0.425 seconds with 20 queries Memory: 12.25 Mb [Server Load Averages (1:5:15) 0.60 : 0.31 : 0.28]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    @Mongo -- I've enabled performance stats on your account.
    You get something like this on the bottom of each page.
    yes, Kym. I saw it pop up fir the first time a few minutes ago and now it is at the bottom of the page as you have indicated.

What do you want me to do with it or are you monitoring the performance ??

It is definately much slower than before for me. Even the pictures on the posts are taking some time to open like a holland blind slowly dropping whereas before they would just pop open instantly. The time wheel is now constantly showing up for some functions.

- - - Updated - - -

Mongo would love to know how to read that stats bar. Mongo has noticed that some pages he has just tried to open took about 5 seconds and the loading bar showing the page downloading was very slowly progressing and then in a few cases it stopped for a short while during its advance and then resumed again taking (on a few occasions ) around 5 seconds. Yet, when Mongo checked the stat bar is was showing page generation in about 0.5 seconds.

The two may not have anything to do with each other as Mongo does not know how to read and interpret the stat bar but something is definitely not right at the moment....HELP !!!!!! (when you can. Mongo is not desperate yet but will be getting there some time soon)
    Last edited by mongo; 02-07-2013 at 9:03pm.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The first part : Uptime: 31 Days 11:55:26 MySQL Uptime: 0 Days 2:45:43
    is just data about how long the site has been 'up' fr and how long the MySQL (database management software) has been running

The second part: Page generated in 0.328 seconds with 24 queries Memory: 13.25 Mb
    is how quickly the server generated the page you are viewing, mainly, so it is saying the page I was looking at took 0.328 seconds to generate

The last part: Server Load Averages (1:5:15) 0.23 : 0.34 : 0.29]
    is the load on the server, If you see any of those 0.23, 0.34, 0.29 get up to things like 2.54, or 6.15 then the load on the server will be slowing down the display of site pages. If these all look as they do above, the site should load fast. So from that you can tell if the delay is caused by the site server, or if those figures remain low and your pages are loading slow, then it is somewhere outside the site, most likely in the cabling somewhere between the site server and you. The server load very rarely goes above 2.00, and when it does, it reports to Kym and myself that the site is experiencing load, as a warning that we could be under some sort of attack, or the server has an issue.
    Last edited by ricktas; 02-07-2013 at 9:26pm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    The first part : Uptime: 31 Days 11:55:26 MySQL Uptime: 0 Days 2:45:43
    is just data about how long the site has been 'up' fr and how long the MySQL (database management software) has been running

The second part: Page generated in 0.328 seconds with 24 queries Memory: 13.25 Mb
    is how quickly the server generated the page you are viewing, mainly, so it is saying the page I was looking at took 0.328 seconds to generate

The last part: Server Load Averages (1:5:15) 0.23 : 0.34 : 0.29]
    is the load on the server, If you see any of those 0.23, 0.34, 0.29 get up to things like 2.54, or 6.15 then the load on the server will be slowing down the display of site pages. If these all look as they do above, the site should load fast. So from that you can tell if the delay is caused by the site server, or if those figures remain low and your pages are loading slow, then it is somewhere outside the site, most likely in the cabling somewhere between the site server and you. The server load very rarely goes above 2.00, and when it does, it reports to Kym and myself that the site is experiencing load, as a warning that we could be under some sort of attack, or the server has an issue.

thanksRick , that's what Mongo thought. There must be a problem as Mongo has indicated above that the time to generate a page shown on the bottom of page from the performance stats DO NOT match the time it actually now takes to open a page e.g. about 5 seconds to open pages shows up on the stats bar as about 0.4 to about .055 seconds or there abouts

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    thanksRick , that's what Mongo thought. There must be a problem as Mongo has indicated above that the time to generate a page shown on the bottom of page from the performance stats DO NOT match the time it actually now takes to open a page e.g. about 5 seconds to open pages shows up on the stats bar as about 0.4 to about .055 seconds or there abouts
    Yep, those stats show that the server is OK, so the issue is somewhere between your computer and the server. It may be a network issue that resolves itself, or resolves with someone, somewhere repairing/replacing something. The other question is when do you last reset your modem/router? It does not hurt to power down and restart your modem/router every month or so.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Yep, those stats show that the server is OK, so the issue is somewhere between your computer and the server. It may be a network issue that resolves itself, or resolves with someone, somewhere repairing/replacing something. The other question is when do you last reset your modem/router? It does not hurt to power down and restart your modem/router every month or so.

Mongo will give the modem a restart and try that. However, the problem appears quite limited to the AP site. Everything else i.e every other site and functions are completely normal as a quick as before.
    Last edited by mongo; 02-07-2013 at 9:49pm.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Mongo will give the modem a restart and try that. However, the problem appears quite limited to the AP site. Everything else i.e every other site and functions are completely normal as a quick as before.
    which makes it sound like it is somewhere between Mongo's place and the AP server, that the issue is somewhere along the connection line.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just restarted the router and it seems to be firing along like the good old days - all initial indications are that it is now fine but Mongo will monitor over the next short time. It is strange though that it was only slow on AP. If it now works fine Mongo does not care what the reason was. thanks guys
    Last edited by mongo; 02-07-2013 at 10:02pm.

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Page generation + transmission (download) + browser rendering = display time (over simplified)
    Last edited by Kym; 02-07-2013 at 10:05pm.

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milbs1 View Post
    Kym, for some reason my enter/return key isn't working in AP, working normally in all other apps.... any ideas?
    It's ok for me? *IE and Firefox

Clear your cache as a step 1

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Milbs1 View Post
    Update: I've found an IE 10 issue - its been fixed, please advise if things are ok now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Update: I've found an IE 10 issue - its been fixed, please advise if things are ok now.

Ah, that's better!! Thanks Kym