User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: More Spectra light show

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Spectra light show

As Rick (and maybe others - only saw his post) mentioned, Hobart has the "Dark MONA" festival on at the moment, with the Spectra light show beaming 15km into the sky.

Thought I'd take the fisheye up last night for a bit of a play to get a different perspective. I'll probably try to get the moon in properly too as I took shots metered for just that too. SOOC apart from cropping; not for CC as it was a play

DSC_9197-2.jpg

DSC_9194-2.jpg

DSC_9201.jpg

DSC_9202-2.jpg

DSC_9220-2.jpg

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Scott. I like the wide perspective of the fish-eye. The domed effect created in the last one works so well. For me though the second last (fourth) one stands out cause being able to see the boxes that each light beam comes from and how they are setup as a grid gives this one added interest.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last of these is really effective and interesting to me.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truly amazing and Thanks for Sharing

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick, LPlates and Mary Anne.

The dome effect is pretty cool, I was hoping it'd almost look like being under a spaceship

You can see where people have put their hand near the lights by really bright spots directly above the light box. They're damn bright!

Brought the fisheye in again today to get a couple better shots after today tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    terrific Scott. I love the last one as it really shows the fisheye off.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Graeme
    This time I need to find a better setup for the fisheye - I had it slightly above the level of the lights last time, and the 170 deg view still gave a bit too much reflection. Definitely worth the play though

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like the POV of the last photo.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    SOOC apart from cropping; not for CC as it was a play
    And now you've had a play .....
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep being drawn back to #3 , just love all those beams creating that bright spot in the heavens. A nice set of images, thanks for posting
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser ShutterandBrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I was so hoping to get down there for this but just couldn't make it. Shots look great!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't work out the multiquote thing!

Thanks Mark I sure have had a play lol. Tried to go tonight before a meeting, but there was a huge queue to get parking anywhere near!

No probs David, thanks for liking!

ShutterandBrew: Thanks It's a pity you didn't, it's worth seeing, but don't think it'd be worth a special trip. There are however a couple winter events on over the next couple few weeks that are worthwhile. And BTW: Margate's less than 10 mins drive from here

And a different view... I live about 25km away from the city. Tonight's the first clear night we've had for over a week. I took this a while ago since workmates didn't think I'd be able to see it from here... Pity the moon's so bright tonight but it shows how far away we easily get some view of it:

DSC_9230.jpg

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure gives some scale to that light.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Sure gives some scale to that light.
    It was amazing to see. It has finished now with it being turned off at dawn this morning. I hope that they can get it back again for the Dark MOFO festival again next year. It gave Hobart so much life over the past week and a half. People were out and about everywhere, in freezing temperatures checking it out, photographing it and just experiencing the whole festival. We tend to hibernate a bit down here at this time of year, but this changed all that.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Mt Wellington to the left of Spectra, at 1270m.

It was a great spectacle, and visible from everywhere. Last night I was looking for it too - I sort of got used to seeing it in the distance. Tried to go a couple more times last week but there were queues every night for parking, and I didn't have time on those nights.

There certainly was a lot happening with Dark Mofo, much more than I realised! A couple workmates went to the mid-winter feast on Saturday night on the wharves, and there were thousands of people! Apparently even at 1.30 on Sunday morning there were about 50 people up on the Domain seeing a different exhibition. And people everywhere through the laneways in the city where there were more exhibits.

It's been great to see different things happening and so many people out in the cold winter weather. Long live David Walsh and his MONA and Dark Mofo, more activities and people - and more reason to visit