Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just received the new Nikon AF-S 80-400 f4.5-5.6 ED VR - sample shots

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just received the new Nikon AF-S 80-400 f4.5-5.6 ED VR - sample shots

I finally received my 80-400 f4.5-5.6 ED VR today after a lot of dickering around by various camera stores. So far with some limited time with it at the zoo this afternoon, this lens is the "ants pants".

Most of these are shot wide open @ f5.6 (some f8) and at ISO6400 due to the dull, gloomy, wet day here in winter time Sydney at Taronga zoo. The lion shots were taken through glass as well! Just shots to test how good it is.

Nikon D800E, 1/160s, f/5.6, at 400.0mm, iso6400 handheld

Nikon D800E, 1/125s, f/5.6, at 400.0mm, iso6400 handheld

Nikon D800E, 1/833s, f/5.6, at 400.0mm, iso5600 handheld

Crop of above.

Nikon D800E, 1/625s, f/5.6, at 400.0mm, iso6400 handheld

Nikon D800E, 1/400s, f/8, at 400.0mm, iso6400 handheld

Nikon D800E, 1/833s, f/5.6, at 400.0mm, iso6400 handheld

Nikon D800E, 1/200s, f/5.6, at 180.0mm, iso6400 handheld against glass

Nikon D800E, 1/200s, f/5.6, at 180.0mm, iso6400 handheld against glass

Nikon D800E, 1/250s, f/8, at 270mm, iso6400 handheld

Nikon D800E, 1/625s, f/8, at 370mm, iso6400 handheld

Nikon D800E, 1/200s, f/5.6, at 400mm, iso2500 handheld
    Last edited by Lance B; 19-06-2013 at 10:32pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lovely series of shots, Lance. Really love the lions images, especially through glass. How do you find the auto focus on this lens? And how do you think it stacks up against the 300 f4. ? It certainly looks nice and sharp!! The detail is excellent ! Thanks for sharing
    D610 and D90 with a 16-35mm f/4,a 70-200mm f/4 ,a 300mm f/4 +TC11 convertor, 18-200mmDX and 85mm micro Dx.

Sally...CC always appreciated

My Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/salnel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks pretty good for me, especially with such a high ISO !
    How was the AF in these low light conditions ?

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by salnel View Post
    A lovely series of shots, Lance. Really love the lions images, especially through glass. How do you find the auto focus on this lens? And how do you think it stacks up against the 300 f4. ? It certainly looks nice and sharp!! The detail is excellent ! Thanks for sharing
    Thank you very much for your lovely comment, Sally!

The AF is quick! and very accurate! Very happy with both those aspects as well as overall IQ. The 300 f4 might have an ever so slight edge in sharpness, but the versatility of the 80-400 is without question, especially as it has VR and in these low light situations it was great to have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sar NOP View Post
    It looks pretty good for me, especially with such a high ISO !
    Thank you very much for your nice comments, Sar!

How was the AF in these low light conditions ?
    AF was fast and accurate, never hunting and always spot on and VR worked a treat as well. All in all a great travel lens for when you want to go "light".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks , Lance..VR is the one thing I wish the 300 had ..I seem to always be in low light !!

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by salnel View Post
    Thanks , Lance..VR is the one thing I wish the 300 had ..I seem to always be in low light !!
    I just hope they update the 300 f4 to a 300 f4 with VR soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lance. Any samples at 80mm? Thanks.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great set of shots and certainly appears to be an impressive lens. As I get older and less stable I definitely need VR and find purchases swayed by its availability.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic shots Lance and the shot of the lion is simply stunning especial through glass!, you have got be pleased with those results

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unique Faces View Post
    Hi Lance. Any samples at 80mm? Thanks.
    I haven't tried it at 80mm yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post
    Great set of shots and certainly appears to be an impressive lens. As I get older and less stable I definitely need VR and find purchases swayed by its availability.
    Thank you very much for your nice comments Lplates!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by flyreels View Post
    Fantastic shots Lance and the shot of the lion is simply stunning especial through glass!, you have got be pleased with those results
    Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Peter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert Lance, but that lens looks to me as taking photos, or should I say the quality looks to be as good as your primes, I know that's a big thing to say, but these shots are fantastic.

#4 the crop, is great, the detail in the feathers, colours and sharp as per your usual standard, and all with a fairly high ISO.

The Lion photo, if you hadn't said it was shot through glass, no one would know, crystal clear and tack sharp.

A fantastic series, and to your usual standard, sharp, great colours, and great DOF.

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Gonk0; 21-06-2013 at 10:26am. Reason: fixed spelling

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    extremely impressive Lance. the shots of the wallaby and goat are particularly telling of its abilities. Mongo also notes these were shot wide open and at 6400 ISO ! You have given it a pretty good report card.

It would be interesting to see for completeness (in the near future) how good it can get if it was stopped down a little(if that makes any difference) and to see how it works with converters (not that there would be an abundance of need for converters).
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im continually impressed on how well the D800 handles the high ISO. It must have been really gloomy to be at 6400 and 1/125. Well done on hand held at 400mm and those speeds.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    extremely impressive Lance. the shots of the wallaby and goat are particularly telling of its abilities. Mongo also notes these were shot wide open and at 6400 ISO ! You have given it a pretty good report card.

It would be interesting to see for completeness (in the near future) how good it can get if it was stopped down a little(if that makes any difference) and to see how it works with converters (not that there would be an abundance of need for converters).
    Thank you for your very nice comments, Mongo!

In these shots there was little light, as you can see by the fact that many were wide open and at ISO6400. Once I get to some bight sunshine, I will give it a work out at f8 and higher and maybe the use of the 1.4x TC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gonk0 View Post
    I'm no expert Lance, but that lens looks to me as taking photos, or should I say the quality looks to be as good as your primes, I know that's a big thing to say, but these shots are fantastic.

#4 the crop, is great, the detail in the feathers, colours and sharp as per your usual standard, and all with a fairly high ISO.

The Lion photo, if you hadn't said it was shot through glass, no one would know, crystal clear and tack sharp.

A fantastic series, and to your usual standard, sharp, great colours, and great DOF.

Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you very much for your glowing comments and extended appraisals, Gonk0! Very much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warus View Post
    Im continually impressed on how well the D800 handles the high ISO. It must have been really gloomy to be at 6400 and 1/125. Well done on hand held at 400mm and those speeds.
    Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Warus!

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great set @ 400mm.That's the most saddest lion look I have seen in a long time
    Those extra Megapixel just works in the cropping dept

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cupic View Post
    Great set @ 400mm.That's the most saddest lion look I have seen in a long time
    Those extra Megapixel just works in the cropping dept
    Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Cupic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally had the chance to pixel peep the photos on my 27" Ultrasharp. They certainly look great! I wonder how they will look like with the D4 given it's excellent high ISO performance . I think they will be super.

No doubt a lens like this will be optimized for 400mm but will be interesting to see how it performs at the other end. Cheers.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unique Faces View Post
    Finally had the chance to pixel peep the photos on my 27" Ultrasharp. They certainly look great! I wonder how they will look like with the D4 given it's excellent high ISO performance . I think they will be super.

No doubt a lens like this will be optimized for 400mm but will be interesting to see how it performs at the other end. Cheers.
    Thank you very much for your kind comments, Unique Faces!

Actually up to ISO12800, the D4 and the D800 have about the same high ISO ability, ie both their noise signatures are basically the same up to that ISO. It is over ISO12800 where the D4 has the advantage and this can bee seen by DXO Marks tests. This has also been attested to by Sar Nop of this forum when he trialled these two cameras back to back in the deeply dim rainforests of far North Queensland earlier this year on a birding tour that he did. He said there was no advantage of the D4 at ISO12800 and under, but over that, the D4 has the big advantage. However, the D800 will have the better cropping ability due to the higher pixel count.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    Thank you very much for your kind comments, Unique Faces!

Actually up to ISO12800, the D4 and the D800 have about the same high ISO ability, ie both their noise signatures are basically the same up to that ISO. It is over ISO12800 where the D4 has the advantage and this can bee seen by DXO Marks tests. This has also been attested to by Sar Nop of this forum when he trialled these two cameras back to back in the deeply dim rainforests of far North Queensland earlier this year on a birding tour that he did. He said there was no advantage of the D4 at ISO12800 and under, but over that, the D4 has the big advantage. However, the D800 will have the better cropping ability due to the higher pixel count.
    That's great to know. Thanks for your feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic images definitely put this lens on my wan't list thanks for the post.
    Nikon D600 tamron 24-70 2.8 50 1.4 K5 Da70 Da 40

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast