User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Usb cable to usb cable conector?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usb cable to usb cable conector?

Hi, If I was to purchase a usb 2 usb conector! would I be able to move photos from my camera to my smart phone?
    Reason I ask, just came back from a weekend in Melbourne, and every good photo I took my wife wanted a photo taken with her phone to send to her friends! (so it would be better at the end of the day to find my best photos, send them to her camera, then txt them to her friends) It sounds like it should be straight forward ??????? or do I need an app??? or it cant be done????
    thanks
    Last edited by the dane; 17-06-2013 at 8:32am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you can buy usb transfer cables but they are designed for using Computer to computer, I very much doubt you could plug a camera into a phone directly. But I could be wrong.

Looking forward to getting to see some of these photos you have taken in the CC forums
    Last edited by ricktas; 17-06-2013 at 8:35am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cables are easy to find, but the software is the problem. I'm fairly certain that it won't work by default. You may be able to find an app for your phone that will do it; the USB connected camera should look like an external drive to the phone so you'd need an app that would let the phone kick off the transfer.

It would be simpler to connect them both to a computer and do it from there.
    -- Mister Q

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your camera use an sd card?

The ability to do a transfer from your camera to a smart phone exists through the use of an eye fi card ( some limitations exist I believe ) and it may be the easiest way to go.
    Last edited by I @ M; 17-06-2013 at 8:58am.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Does your camera use and sd card?

The ability to do a transfer from your camera to a smart phone exists through the use of an eye fi card ( some limitations exist I believe ) and it may be the easiest way to go.
    good thought. most smart phones also have a memory card slot (expect iPhones), so say your wife's phone uses microSD, you could use an adaptor and use a microSD card in your camera, and then just put the card in the phone.

However all of these are compromises and I would recommend waiting till you get home, can view the photos on your computer and selectively work out what you want to share on the net.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, for the quick replys this early in the morning!!!! But think you could be right, just leave the laptop in the motel when on holidays!
    Was worth a thought! was toying with the idea on the plane home last night!!!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say no actually.

I know Android is USB host capable, but I think the device manufacturers limit this deliberately(for good reason, I think)

I have Samsung, so this comment may be specific only to Samsung, and other manufacturers may do it differently.

Samsung phones don't have USB host capability, but Samsung tablets do. The difference could be in the connector. For the tablet, you need a special adapter for the special plug at the bottom of the tablet.
    It's more like an iPhone type plug, as opposed to the standard micro USB plug on almost all Android phones.

USB host on the tablet works fine using the special adapter too tho.
    I have to say tho, I've never actually tried to find if an unhacked Android phone can actually do USB host .. but I see little point in doing so.
    The ability to perform USB host abilities also implies the power to do so and almost all phones don't really have the power to do this.

The simplest way would be as already suggested and to use a micro SD card adapter if your phone is Android(they all have 'em) and hoping that your camera has an SD card slot.
    Shoot in a jpg mode if you wish with the micro SD card in the adapter in the camera and then place it into the phone and transfer to the phone.

Of course shooting with the SD card in the camera is of no use.

Already said too was the option of using a Eyefi card too .. doing it all wirelessly.

other options(that I know work) is to get a Galaxy TabII cheaply, find the $5 USB host adapter plug on ebay and bob's your best mate!(works for me if I ever need it).
    Direct Wfif top your Android phone is a cinch after this.
    The genuine Samsung USB host plug is stupidly expensive, so the cheaper $5 option, that many ebayers have for sale, is the way to go if this sounds appealing.
    But don't do the doofus thing I did and panic when it didn't work at first .. a totally blonde moment on my part. Pulled my hair out for about 10 mins or so wondering why USB host wasn't working on the tablet .. only to find that the adapter plug has a teeny micro switch that changes it from std card slot mode to USB host mode ... and then of course my face turned bright red with embarrassment
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The iPhone/iPad SD card reader gadget works quite well too. They used to come as a set with an SD card reader and USB connector but I think they're sold separately now. It might do what you're looking for if you've got an Apple phone.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem fixed went to the local computer parts store they told me, about an app to down load called DSLRDashboard, and brought a OTG cable for $6! Just click on the usb logo and pick the photos to send to your smart phone! the app also supports the Nikon Wu-1a & 1b wifi! I also brought that today as Teds had them on special for $49. I don't think I would wifi 100 photos at once just the ones I want to send as a text message or facebook!