Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: What would you do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you do?

Hi everyone,
    looks like my 20 D gave up! Each time I take a photo she just put out a burst of shots, even when I switch her of she does it i can not take any photos anymore it is always the same prob!

Now my problem is I save up for 7D and I am almost half the way there! Offcourse I could take some money from that and give the 20D for a repair, but then it will take me even longer before I get a new body! Also I just spend a while ago around 150$ for a service and so I do not really want to spend more money on a old body, but on the other hand I would then for about a have a year not abele to get out to do some photoshootings!

Well,
    What would you do?

Cheers Klaus!
    I am happy about any CC to the pictures I show. These pictures can be P.P. and in the same thread showed again!
    Thank you Klaus!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what you are describing sounds like shutter failure. You can get a new shutter assembly installed, but as you say the 20D is getting on in years now, and an upgrade might well be worth it. Not sure of your financial position, but you can get those special deals of interest free credit cards. So you could use your deposit and borrow the rest, then pay it off over the next x months?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm,
    no, that would not work right now, we try to get out of all our depht till end of the year, I think what I will do I will try to sell a few things which I do not use anymore and see how much money I can get together!
    And for the balance I might have to negotiate with my finance minister !
    Will see how that goes!
    But thanks for your answer Ricktas! Then basacly you agree with me that it would be not worth it to spent anymore money for my old 20D!
    Last edited by twix; 09-06-2013 at 7:54pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twix View Post
    Hm,
    no, that would not work right now, we try to get out of all our depht till end of the year, I think what I will do I will try to sell a few things which I do not use anymore and see how much money I can get together!
    And for the balance I might have to negotiate with my finance minister !
    Will see how that goes!
    But thanks for your answer Ricktas! Then basacly you agree with me that it would be not worth it to spent anymore money for my old 20D!
    The 20D whilst a good camera, is getting to be old tech now and the replacement of a shutter would probably cost more than you get a decent second hand 20D for, that was working.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    The 20D whilst a good camera, is getting to be old tech now and the replacement of a shutter would probably cost more than you get a decent second hand 20D for, that was working.
    This 20 d was already a second hand one I bought for 150$ about 1.5 years ago and i made quiet a bid of nice pic`s with it, but i think it is time now to move o n to a new camera and because al my digital SLR`s has been used ones I really like to get me a new one this time!
    Even when it means I will be without a camera for a while know!
    Maybe i should use the time without a camera to get onto the PP side of photography and learn more about it to improve my pictures!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twix View Post
    This 20 d was already a second hand one I bought for 150$ about 1.5 years ago and i made quiet a bid of nice pic`s with it, but i think it is time now to move o n to a new camera and because al my digital SLR`s has been used ones I really like to get me a new one this time!
    Even when it means I will be without a camera for a while know!
    Maybe i should use the time without a camera to get onto the PP side of photography and learn more about it to improve my pictures!
    great motivation and I like that you are thinking positive about it all. Learning to PP is a great skill to acquire and will take time to learn and perfect, so go for it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your positve encouregemet Ricktas!
    (sorry for my poor gramma)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look around as there are a lot of end of financial year sales on at the moment. You may be able to get a 7D for a really good price and they have come down quite a lot anyway. Definitely save and go for a new camera....that's what i would do.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked eglobal and they have 7D body for $939 at the moment....good luck with whatever you decide
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktoopi View Post
    Have a look around as there are a lot of end of financial year sales on at the moment. You may be able to get a 7D for a really good price and they have come down quite a lot anyway. Definitely save and go for a new camera....that's what i would do.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked eglobal and they have 7D body for $939 at the moment....good luck with whatever you decide
    Thanks for your opinion on this ktoopi and that is exactely what I will do!
    Whait a bit longer and get a new body!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering why a 7D? Wouldn't the single-processor variant - can't remember if it's 60D?!? - be suitable?
    Do you need the extra speed the 7D offers?
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Just wondering why a 7D? Wouldn't the single-processor variant - can't remember if it's 60D?!? - be suitable?
    Do you need the extra speed the 7D offers?
    Am.
    Well I could have a look at the 60D, but what me really sold to the 7D is the viewfinder! It is just so great, I always struggled with the one on the 20D and if I remember right I compared the 60D and the 7D together at Harvey Norman and I was just so blowen away from the clearaty of the VF that I decidet my next camera must have a good VF like the one on the 7D! Reason is, I always struggle a bit to see thinks thruogh the VF clearly and there for often I have results where the pics arent as sharp! And yes, I adjustet the VF with the little next to the VF!
    The good AF and the high FPS is say just an extra bonus for me when I do motorsport shots!
    ameerat my main focus in photography is macro, motorsport, wildlife, landscape and architucture! So the good AF and the high FPS would be an extra bonus for me!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I would have expected them to be fairly similar, and the 60D at least up to scratch as it is a later model.
    Fair enough if you have a use for some speed.
    Am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ameerat,
    I just came back from HN and had a look at the 60D, unfortunately the batterie was empthy so i could not much play around with it!
    What I liked is the swivel screen, it`s a pitty the did not put one on the 7D! But then again, the body size and weight i liked more on the 7D and off course the VF.
    But I decidet I will go next WE to WF in Parramatta and see if I could try both cameras next to each other, and then I will decid!
    And I konw this next camera I bying will have to last me for quiet a couple of years so I am prepaired to rather wait a bit longer and pay a bit more!
    Well,
    I will go next WE and find out!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, it might help (if you haven't already done so) to check out the specs of both cameras in a convenient summary.
    If you go to THIS PAGE at DP Review, you will find a list of Canon cameras.

The 60D is in the 2010 section and the 7D is in the 2009 section. Just scroll up and
    down the page. You can open the link to each camera in a separate tab. It shows some "Quick Specs" on that page,
    but you then click on the "Specs" tab on the page for a more detailed set of specs.
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 10-06-2013 at 6:39pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did had a look a dpreview as well as Amazon and also at the german Traumflieger site , flicker and a lot of others!

The way
    I see it, it really comes down to personell preferances! the one think what makes me a bid undecided ore say uneasy about the 7D is that some people reckon that the 60D is easyer to learn then the 7D. But then again, I hardly work with the program function`s. I really try to influence my photos in Tv, AV or manual mode to try to get as creativ as I possible can, even I still have to learn a lot and it often doe`s not turn out the way I would like it!
    But that is not the cameras fault that`s just me that I have still a lot more to learn !

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had just a look at the Harvey Norman site,
    the 60D is currently 750$ http://www.harveynorman.com.au/endec...t/?q=eos%2060d
    and the 7D 1000$ http://www.harveynorman.com.au/endec...sult/?q=eos+7D

and if it is true what the rumours saying it can only get cheaper till I got my money together!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,
    couldn`t wait, I ordert my 7d today!
    I bought it at HN for 1097 plus extendet warrenty!
    The only drawback is that I have to wait till the middel of next month!
    Huh, can`t wait to hold it in my hands and get startet!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by twix; 25-06-2013 at 5:37pm.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Read that as "applause".)
    You must feel in party mode.
    Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh how I know that feeling. Was going to mention Camera market as there was one for sale for around the $800 + mark near new in NSW sorry to do that to you probably shouldn't have mentioned. Just Got LR 4 for $88's from a retailer in Adelaide S&T version But hey cheaper than anywhere else even Grey so hopefully I'll be able to start posting more in the near future.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes,
    I am very happy cant wait!

"Oh how I know that feeling. Was going to mention Camera market as there was one for sale for around the $800 + mark near new in NSW sorry to do that to you probably shouldn't have mentioned. Just Got LR 4 for $88's from a retailer in Adelaide S&T version But hey cheaper than anywhere else even Grey so hopefully I'll be able to start posting more in the near future."
    no thats ok ROA44!
    I had a look around, but thought for myself that I am not prepared to pay 800-900$ for a second hand one if I can get a brand new one for only 200-300$ more!
    Last edited by twix; 26-06-2013 at 6:44am.