Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eye Problems

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    ...I had to wear glasses for driving and seeing at a distance ( Put on the glasses to watch the TV and take them off for reading the TV program )...
    Same here, William. One day I took them off while stopped at lights and could see clearly across the paddocks. They stayed off after that. Now I only need +1.5s for reading. Who said ageing isn't good?
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good one Am, I think we are the lucky few , On a different note , Touch wood !! I seem to be getting better as I get older , Figure that
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same vision problems(astigmatism and shortsightedness and wear multi focals). I relate to mark and whodo. I drop the camera and hold it a little further away and look down to see the back of the camera. You reallly do get used to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have multifocal glasses - and have no problem using my camera. I use the viewfinder without a problem - only thing I do have a slight problem with is manual focus. Lesley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might find that you don't need your glasses for different screens, I need glasses for my desktop but not for my Ipad. Not sure why? Maybe it is the distance? My better half comes in handy to for reading up close, he wears glasses but takes them off to read up close, my arms are just not long enough any more to read things at a distance and up close it is just a blur. However I have been advised to look at the histogram on the back of the camera when taking a pic, and this has helped I can see this and it helps judge if the photo I just took is good or bad.
    D7000, 18mm to 105mm Nikon lens & 18mm to 250mm Sigma lens.

To know what you know and to know what you don't know...is to know.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the laser surgery that you mention (one eye short the other long). It worked brilliantly, though it did take about 6 months for my brain to get used to it. It doesn't effect your photography at all, in fact it makes it easier. Fixing the astigmatism is the key as then you can were normal glasses (if you ever need them) and you can look through a camera viewfinder without glasses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long sighted with astigmatism all my life and in the past few years multifocals for close up. I take mine off for taking pics and put them back on for reading the screen. You get used to it, it's now second nature.
    On another note they suck cause now i can see the wrinkles!
    jj

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update....I was reassessed by my eye surgeon and he now says that I cannot have the laser eye surgery as my corneas are too thin and he is not willing to take the risk.....I knew something was up when he said initially that I was a very tricky case...Boo hooo so now it is definitely multifocals for me as I cannot afford the $10 000 for lens implant surgery which is now my only option for glasses free living!

I have worn glasses all my life so that is not the issue it was getting used to the multifocal aspect....I don't see how it can be possible in the glasses I wear as there is only about 2.5 cm from the top to the bottom of the frame....there would be barely any room for the transition!
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a pity. I had thin corneas too, though in my case they could use Lasek (as opposed to Lasik). I guess your corneas are even thinner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wearing multi-focal glasses for some years, but I do remember that it took me a few days to adjust to them at first.

I leave them on and look through the top part of the lens (the long distance part) to look through the viewfinder and obviously, the lower part to look at settings etc.

It all becomes fully automatic after a few days.
    I also have prescription sunglasses, but these are only fixed lenses, and it is annoying when you have to read with them on.
    I can read quite well without glasses, but I also have astigmatism which can make it tiring after a while.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of surgery, as your eyes will continue to change and if you have the surgery done, you may well end up having to wear glasses anyway, later on.

Don't fret about multi-focals. If done well, they are fantastic to have, but as I said earlier, it will take you a few days to become comfortable with them.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12