User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12

Thread: Tethered Portraiture when your camera doesn't have WiFi?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tethered Portraiture when your camera doesn't have WiFi?

I like the idea of shooting with a companion device (laptop, tablet) to allow the model to see the results as they happen. I dislike being tethered to a cable when I'd like to move around the subject for different angles, etc. The solution would seem to be Wifi but my D7000 doesn't have that luxury. Could this be the solution? Tech advice required on whether what I'm after - cableless tethered shooting - is possible with this device. Any comments?

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/03/eye-...y/#more-113141
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly looks the goods, and it says my D3100 will work fine with it. $89 for 8GB and $143 for 16GB from eGlobal
    Cheers

You don't have to be dead to be a donor.

Education is what remains after that which has been learnt, has been forgotten.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like it'll do what you want it too .. that is, display an image on a remote device. but only as long as that device is either iOS or Android powered. That is NOT a laptop device, unless that lappie is running Android(which I think from memory you can actually do(not sure tho).

But if you got a tablet, then it will display the images just shot, on the tablet.

But it isn't proper tethered shooting tho .. ie. as in you can't control the camera with it.

AFAIK, your other option is to use the ludicrously expensive UT-1 from Nikon. (approx $500!! )
    Actually, the UT-1 isn't Wifi, it's just the ethernet connection port to allow the ability to add a wifi capability to some of the newer cameras.
    So in terms of price, it actually gets worse,

Whether there are other third party options for this sort of work .. I dunno?

Maybe try the Phottix site. They're well reknown for this sort of accessory type(remotes, remote screens, etc).

Edit: Actually, the UT-1 isn't Wifi, it's just the ethernet connection port to allow the ability to add a wifi capability to some of the newer cameras.
    So in terms of price, it actually gets worse, where you also have to purchase a WT-5 that plugs into the ethernet port of the UT-1.

Total price .. is .... wait for it!! ..... about $1200 ...

Nikon are insane!. Do they actually expect to sell any of these units at some point. Are there really any people (of sound mind) willing to pay over $1k just have the capability to wifi their newish Nikon cameras?

So where I originally said that your other option was to use a Nikon UT-1 .. well make that the reality is that Nikon don't actually provide a real option to do wifi with a D7000.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 05-06-2013 at 11:36pm.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this will do the job, Compare to Mobi Streamlined work-flow Multi-platform Cloud backup RAW
    Eye-Fi Pro X2 memory card The power of WiFi for the camera you love, just $99.99
    Buy Now+free shipping Performance professionals trust.
    Ultra-fast, Class 10 performance and 16GB capacity easily captures hours of HD video, low light and fast action shots.

And, only Pro X2 quickly and reliably delivers your high-quality images bit-for-bit to your computer, smart-phone or tablet using built-in WiFi.

this was supposed to be a link but you can get the idea,I havn`t used it but have heard that it will work and displays on computer you can check out the site.

Jack.
    Last edited by pixy; 06-06-2013 at 1:39am.
    Pentax K5iis, k7 plus lenses from 18mm-600mm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your using a ipad..then camranger seems a good fit..if not thry this..it may work for a windows based system

http://www.elv.de/olidata-wireless-u...fmt/2/affmn/18

Theres a thread on dpr about wireless tethered shooting

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3203391
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 06-06-2013 at 2:21am.
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, guys. I was thinking that the Eye-Fi Mobi might be a good, cheap alternative because I already have an iPad. No chance of me spending hundreds for the Nikon kluge, Arthur! Since the D7000 has 2 card slots, it seemed like a neat, reasonably-priced option. I already have Lightroom for tethered shooting IF I choose to use that, but I hate the cables that restrict my movement around the subject.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Steve, I'll check out those links as well. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually used the Pro X2 (I own one) and it's not to bad. You just have to set the SD card up to the wireless network or device you wish to use via the included software and USB card reader. Also the transfer is done using their software and didn't auto import to Lightroom which is fine if you just want to display the photo on screen.

My solution when I used it for birthday parties was to shoot both RAW and JPEG on my D7000 and use the X2 in the secondary SD slot and save only the JPEGs to the X2 card whcih uploaded to a laptop running a slideshow of the photos which update automatically, then I could worry about the RAW files later.

I have't used the Mobi card, but I would assume that it would work in a similar way....

Hope this is useful
    Last edited by falcon91; 06-06-2013 at 10:17pm.
    D7000
    18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G VR, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 50mm f/1.8D, SB-700

SX230 HS

Edit OK...Please provide details
    Link to my photos

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I shoot RAW + small jpeg and have the small jpeg transferred only?
    I wonder what the excess battery drain would be. I'm already displeased with my EM5's charge. Hate to see what this extra bit of convenience will cost me (in terms of battery life).
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon91 View Post
    Hope this is useful
    Very. Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Looks great to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    using the D7000 and setting one card to RAW and the other to JPEG, then yes you can only send the JPEG file wirelessly.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Falcon.
    Unfortunately my EM5 doesn't have dual SD slots so this would be impossible for me.
    I just wondered whether the software was smart enough to just send the jpegs.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    I just wondered whether the software was smart enough to just send the jpegs.
    Don't know about "smart enough", Swifty, but according to the specs the Eye-Fi Mobi, unlike the X2 version, will only send JPEGS period. IOW it can't send the RAW images even if you wanted it to. Does that mean you can recover the RAW file from the 8Gb Mobi afterwards? Beats me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    Don't know about "smart enough", Swifty, but according to the specs the Eye-Fi Mobi, unlike the X2 version, will only send JPEGS period. IOW it can't send the RAW images even if you wanted it to. Does that mean you can recover the RAW file from the 8Gb Mobi afterwards? Beats me.
    If that's the case, then it will still save the RAW files to the SD Card.
    With my X2, i get the option of telling the card what I want it to send (RAW/JPEG or both) but it will always write ALL data to the card, including video etc... It's the firmware on the SD card that allows the files to be transferred over WiFi, so if the firmware doesn't "recognize" the data it can't transfer it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the x2 version of this and use it quite often for light painting and studio work. It does in fact work with windows PC as well as your mobile device! If you have a wifi router you can even get it to push images to multiple devices at the same time. There are 2 versions of these cards. The pro version lets you transfer either RAW or JPEG depending on how you set it up (not both at the same time). Since I can't edit RAW on my iPad I just went with the regular version. My camera is setup to shoot RAW+JPEG. Both files are recorded to the SD card, but the JPEG is also sent via wifi to my iPad and/or desktop.

I've not noticed any extra drain in battery life using this card. That said I generally only use it on long exposure work so the battery is already taking a kick in the pants. I easily fill the card before the battery dies.