Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

More unemployed photographers

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And way too rapidly. I guess with so many submitting their Iphone pics etc it will be a growing thing but sad for the pros. Our local newspaper still employs 2 full time photographers but also publishes photos from freelancers.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we had about 30 on staff at the Guardian in the late 90s. I think it's more like 5 these days.
    It's a bold move by Chicago Sun but who needs John H White when you're only showing Grumpy Cat videos?
    It's interesting that they laid off the editors as well. Who's proofing the iphone images from the reporters? The janitor?
    I'm sure the reporters appreciate the extra workload. How long before they're replaced by bloggers who were never at the scene?

the Sun must be in very financial dire straits to make such a decision.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is just a sign of the times - the world is changing, and not just in the photography field. People need to be retrained and redeployed in developing employment opportunities. No matter, when you lose your job it can be very disheartening, so I do feel for these people.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny6teen View Post
    It's interesting that they laid off the editors as well. Who's proofing the iphone images from the reporters? The janitor?

Sub-editors in India!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many a true word spoken in jest?

It reminds me of what is going on here with people being made redundant and having to spend time handing over to their Indian replacements (who in turn have been flown here & back from India for the hand overs)
    Steve

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone viewing this thread ---- hands up honestly if you have ever sent an image to a news service for free -----
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Anyone viewing this thread ---- hands up honestly if you have ever sent an image to a news service for free -----
    I have a number of times otherwise our local clubs get no publicity at all as the local papers wont pay. The papers own sports editor can only attend 1 event at a time and she only shoots in full auto mode with the papers entry level camera and kit lenses. I shoot local football and motorsport events and cover some of my costs selling photos to the competitors I also submit articles to magazines and until I did that sport had virtually zero coverage. I don't like it but if I don't accept it the sport misses out completely.
    Cheers
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 02-06-2013 at 11:22pm.