User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17

Thread: Need some Help with Canon !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some Help with Canon !!

I'm hoping someone can help me with suggestions, tips or advice...or all three.
    5 years ago we bought a Canon EOS40D, since then we have taken about 21,000 photos mainly of our kids playing AFL, Netball, Rubgy League, Soccer and Cricket.
    We have 2 lenses EFS 17-85 1:4-5.6 IS UM and a EF 70-300 1:4-5.6 IS UM. We have had some amazing photo's taken over these years.
    Although we have taken a lot of photo's, we still class ourselves as beginners as we take these photo's in the auto sports mode.

I recently decided to upgrade only because the 40D was a few years old and based on the advice from the guy at the camera shop we bought an EOS 7D and obviously still have the same lenses. I have now found that the 7D is not as auto as the 40D and does not have a "Sports Mode" as such. I have had a bit of a play with different settings, but the photo's are not the same quality that we were getting with the 40D, this is hopefully where I hope someone can help me out.

So below are a few questions.
    1- Have I been given the correct advice to go to the 7D ?
    2- Would the 40D or the lenses deteriorate over time taking 21,000 photos ?
    3- We are looking at getting the A0465 CANON EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens is this a good buy to use with the 7D once we sort the settings out ?
    4- Would the A0465 CANON EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens work okay with the 40D ?

Any suggestions would be greatly apprecited.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to AP.

The 7D is a professional level camera, the 40D is a semi-professional level camera. Therefore the 7D will have some of the 'help' functions removed as it is designed for those who want to take control of their cameras. However, after 5 years of photography, you obviously have not considered learning more about how to make the camera work and control it, rather relying on the camera's computer to do the work. The 7D has an Auto mode and you can use that, and it is very effective. But I would recommend learning more about photography and understanding ISO, Shutterspeed and Aperture and learning how to control it all yourself.

Your EF-S lenses will work on a 7D as it is a crop-sensor camera, the same as your 40D (albeit with a much improved sensor from a technology viewpoint).

Your lenses, if cared for well, will not deteriorate, but camera bodies are disposable items, being obsolete after a few years. Your lenses should last you a lifetime, the camera body generally won't. The 100-400 will work with ALL current Canon digital cameras, both crop and full frame sensor versions.

PS. join in on the forums, show us some photos, as it seems you still have a lot to learn and we could assist in that regard, if you are willing to take on board the advice offered.
    Last edited by ricktas; 02-06-2013 at 7:51pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 7D has the technology to take better images than your 40D, but there is a learning curve, and a rather large one if you are coming from a background of just using your old 40D in the auto sports mode. It is not something you are going to learn overnight.

Shoot in Tv mode, (shutter priority) where you set the shutter speed and let the camera set the aperture, the faster teh shutter speed the better to freeze action, but too fast for teh lighting conditions and you won't be able to achieve a balanced exposure, you will also need to use auto ISO to let the camera increase the iso if needs be.
    You also have the options of customising your focus points, with AF assist points, groups, auto, etc.

I really feel that your retailer has let you down big time by not exploring your understanding of exposure and camera settings etc before selling you a 7D, in reality I think the 60D would have been a far better choice for you.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juddy65 View Post
    I recently decided to upgrade only because the 40D was a few years old and based on the advice from the guy at the camera shop we bought an EOS 7D and obviously still have the same lenses.
    The "guy at the camera shop" now has plenty of leverage to persuade you to buy "pro" level lenses.

1- Have I been given the correct advice to go to the 7D ?
    Absolutely for the sake of the "guy at the camera shop" and his wallet.

2- Would the 40D or the lenses deteriorate over time taking 21,000 photos ?
    No, not noticeably if normal routine maintenance has been carried out.

3- We are looking at getting the A0465 CANON EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens is this a good buy to use with the 7D once we sort the settings out ?
    Absolutely, but only once you work out how to drive the camera.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe have a look at the New to Photography book and the Learning Plan in the book.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    No, not noticeably if normal routine maintenance has been carried out.
    Not to threadjack, but what's routine maintenance? I've never done anything beyond giving mine a quick dust with a hanky. Does this count?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try playing around first with P mode. you can change the aperture, shutter, and iso while the camera will keep the shot "right" as it sees it for you.
    Last edited by Hayaku; 03-06-2013 at 12:37am.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 7D is my main camera. When I first got it and shot on 'green square' mode I found it focused poorly. I think its green square (auto everything) mode is not as good as most other cameras. As you seem to like shooting on auto modes this is not good news for you. I can't help but agree with other posters that there are other cameras that might have been a better recommendation for you.

That's enough bad news. Now for the GOOD news.

The 7D is an enormously capable camera, it just takes a little study of the manual. And with just a few selected aspects of the camera understood, you will be able to use it in a fairly 'auto settings' way that will work well for much of your daily use.

Study the following areas of the manual closely:
    - the auto focus (AF) modes
    - the AF zone/area settings
    - the micro adjust (MA) adjustment for lenses (do the MA adjust for your two lenses - see here)

Create a custom mode (C1 on your top dial) with the following settings for shooting your kids playing sports:
    - mode = P
    - ISO = auto
    - AF = servo
    - AF area = centre point expanding
    - High speed continuous shooting

It's only a starting point to get you going. As you learn more of the camera and what works for you, use the settings you want.

Your 70-300 lens is a good lens and quite powerful tele effect with the 40D and 7D. If you don't need more 'power' than 300mm but would like a bit more sharpness at 300mm and quick focusing, the EF 70-300 L lens is a goodie, and much easier to handle and carry than the 100-400 -- see the nice review here where it is compared with the 100-400 from a practical point of view. But if you feel you need 400mm, the EF 100-400 L is very good and it might be your best choice.
    Last edited by Arg; 03-06-2013 at 6:30am.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't you notice that there were no Auto Modes on the dial on top of the camera when the salesman had his hand in your pocket?

Not to disagree in any way with the suggestions above that you need to learn how to use the camera, there is something you can do to replicate the auto settings from your beloved 40D. You'll notice there are three Custom Settings available on your camera's control dial. My suggestion would be for you to choose the settings for getting sports shots that you seem to use your camera for and attribute them to the custom settings. In reality, all the "Scene Modes" are on your 40D are a series of factory-set custom functions.

Read through your manual to see how you set the custom functions.

If that is too difficult for you, or thinking about it makes your head hurt, then set the camera in "P" mode, auto-ISO, AI-Servo, and fire away.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, I see the post above has already suggested the Custom function mode. Those suggestions will serve you well in the absence of greater familiarity with how your camera works.
    Last edited by Warbler; 03-06-2013 at 10:08am.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your sports shooting the 100-400 L will be a very good buy. As suggested earlier: either shoot at Tv mode with a shutter speed exceeding 1/750 and ISO auto or create a similar setting in one of the Custom settings. Remember that when you use a long lens your minimum shutter speed should be 1 / "focal length in mm" and for a crop sensor camera like the 40D and 7D that should basically be multiplied by 1.6.
    I too urge to read up about shutter speed, aperture and ISO as the three main exposure factors and their interaction:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you've all scared Juddy65 off.

Some very good advice above. Two other items that really help,

1, Time
    2, Practice
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly, no I haven't been scared off just away with work.
    Secondly, thank you to everyone for your advice. I was sort of hoping for a quick fix but deep down I know what I have to do and that is to actually learn more about photography in general and obviously how to use our new camera. I will endeavour to do this as there is nothing better than looking at and sharing great photos that you have taken yourself.
    And I think I will wait until I do this before I jump into a new lens.
    We have a netball carnival tomorrow so I will also try the custom settings that have been suggested and might even put up a few photos.
    Thanks again for all the help.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazed to read that you took the advice of a salesman and bought a new camera though..
    I have a 40D its quite a few years old now and takes great images the shutter count two weeks ago was 117,503
    Maybe you have not used your 40D enough and it's not quite broken in yet..

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you Mary Anne.....my wife has definitely gone back to using the 40D, I will persevere though.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you, my other Canon is the 5D Mk 11 and yes a slight difference between that and the 40D
    I shoot Manual so it does not matter to me. You will get plenty of help here, and don't be afraid to ask.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great opportunity for you to learn about photography. I bought a 7D after having a G2 for years in green mode. It still takes a great shot providing you don't want to blow it up to a huge picture. Having the 7D forced me to find some information and I came upon this site. I don't spend a lot of time shooting but what is available here will allow you to shoot like a professional if you so desire. Really the only way to learn is with a structured program and practice practice practice. Did I say practice? good luck it is a great camera cheers Brian PS I should take my own advice.......
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 7D is a fine camera but I & Canon do not class it as a professional level camera. You will receive much conflicting advice. Go read, research & try before you buy. Much depends on how much you wish to spend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AI Servo and shutter speed priority to start for netball tomorrow. Don't change too much too soon! Good luck.
    D800 Nikon 70-200 VR II, Nikon 105 2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4,
    Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always buy "how to use 7d for dummies."

Joe.
    The things you see when you dont have a camera.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my wife has definitely gone back to using the 40D, I will persevere though.
    I think when you get a good general purpose custom setup, e.g. my post #8, your wife will come back to the fold...