User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Flickr slow????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flickr slow????

Took around 20 photos on the new Nikon, opened a flickr account, and downloaded the 20 photos! it worked but took 40mins!! is this about right? or is my computer to slow???
    & has any one used the Nikon WU-1a to transfere photos to a smart phone? & are they worth the $75??
    & third and final question, have been looking at a few photos on the forum, a lot of members write back saying (the photo is on an angle, should be straightened, the sky should be chopped, too much light) is this fixed when taking the shoot or on a computer program? and if so what program would I need. mainly for family and holliday shoots?
    thanks

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like your computer is a little slow , 40 mins is a long time, im not familiar with nikon WU-1a so cant comment. as for cropping, straightening and any other adjustments you have to do that with a computer program, lightroom, photoshop are the way to go, but a free program you can download is Gimp. not as powerful as the others but does a ok job of cropping and straightening as well as adjustments. do you shoot in RAW? as usually the camera manufacture will give you a disk with a RAW program on it that does the job ( canon yes, nikon? )
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What uploader are you using with Flickr and what size photos are you uploading. If they are full size then that time may be right. I use the Flickr Uploadr program on my computer and in preferences you can set the max size / resolution of your pic to be uploaded. I set mine to 1600 pixels across and the program resizes the pics before uploading. I reckon I can upload 100 photos in about 40 mins.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's a 24MPx camera, and assuming they were full-size jpegs you were uploading... say... (wave arms a bit here)...
    each jpeg was around 8 MBytes, then what's your internet upload speed? Mine's typically about 500MBits/sec (not bytes).
    So, 2 mins per photo doesn't particularly sound that bad, as when I upload my full size 15MPx jpegs it can take about the same time per image.

Do you want to run a Bandwidth Meter? Click Here for one. It'll give you some idea of your internet connection.
    You can then look at the file size and go from there.

As for that wireless adapter to download images... I'd have no idea, except that it is 2n compatible, so some speed should apply. However, I suppose you WOULD NOT
    be sending the full sized Nikon images to the smart phone.

If you have no other program - but what came with your camera??? Do you use Capture NX or View NX? - there is the free GIMP software at the link:
    http://www.gimp.org/

Otherwise, do you have Adobe Photoshop or Elements?
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 28-05-2013 at 9:37am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys, was downloading photos of 6.4mb! upload speed was 2.29mbps!
    so should I be taking photos in RAW or jpeg?
    I read that jpeg was more user friendly as in email, facebook etc! and Raw was for fine detail?
    cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Dane, 6.4mb is pretty big, even for flickr. Not sure why you are uploading so big.
    You are right about jpg being the easier way to go. But as you get more serious about the images you take. RAW is were you want to head
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would Adobe PhotoShop Elements 8, be what iam looking for?? just had a quick look on Gumtree and Ebay! or something else, that you can recommend! (Australia only ebay)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    whatever you use you need to resize them, here is a photoshop tutorial, you will just need to adjust the concept to whatever software you get. It is about resizing the pixel dimensions as well as the KB size.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...r-the-Internet
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the dane View Post
    thanks guys, was downloading photos of 6.4mb! upload speed was 2.29mbps!
    so should I be taking photos in RAW or jpeg?
    I read that jpeg was more user friendly as in email, facebook etc! and Raw was for fine detail?
    cheers
    Dane (The)
    Your figure above, is it MBits, or is it MBytes? There's an 8-fold size difference.
    If MBits, then I would think it's a bit slow, but if "Bytes", then it's still slow
    When you quote or cite these figures, do be specific. For example, 1 "byte" = 8 "bits".
    Bandwidth is often stated in M(ega)Bits/sec - sometimes MBits/sec. Another measure is called "Throughput" and that is
    stated in Megabytes MB/sec or even MBytes/sec. It is unhelpful to use just lower case letters to describe either one.

In my instance as posted - uploads at 500 MBits/sec - that means a "throughput" of approx 62 MBytes/sec. That is why I said that
    either way, your speeds are on the low side.

When you run that test, you can copy the results results and paste them in a post like this. You go to "Share", then you select "Copy". It will be in
    your Clipboard and then you can post them here, like this (for me):

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2736369083.png

That's a link to an image file that shows the reuslts. I wouldn't mind seeing yours so that I/we might be able to give you better advice.

Am.

PS: To answer the other part of your post, I think Elements 11 is the latest (Sorry if wrong.) But like I said before, it doesn't matter all that much
    what you use. The ideas and concepts for image processing are the same across products. That's why I suggested the free GIMP (which I uninstalled a little while back).
    But it is free, and it gets you to understand what you're doing with your images. When you move to/can afford Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Elements, you will only
    have to learn how to do the same things in that program. The ideas will be the same.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 28-05-2013 at 9:24pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While you get other software figured here is a free resizer ...... http://bd-sizer.en.softonic.com/
    The smaller the file size, the faster it gets onto Flicker (sorry if that sounds obvious). If you are only putting photos there for people to look at then remember that any photos you see here on AP are only 1024 pixels (max) on the longest side and 250 KB (max).

Capture.JPG
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.