User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pc Spec Suggestions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, the $$ value per Gig for an SSD is quite high when comparing to a magnetic medium, but I'm yet to get 200+ Megabyte per second transfer speeds from one either!

I have a 128 gig Samsung SSD, and I've found that almost everything on the PC is quicker now. Up until getting the SSD the biggest bottleneck was waiting for the HDD to catch up, and I didn't slouch on the HDD I got either! My boot times went from over a minute to under 10 seconds, hell, widoze doesn't even have time to complete the win 7 animation before it's up and running!

I suppose at this time, I'd better admit that I am a gamer, and I do like to play the occaisional FPS. Yes, I've played MW3 a couple of times.

Yes, the load times are significantly reduced on a game that is installed on an SSD.

The Key term here is Load Times. by having an SSD load times are significantly reduced. I'd much rather have the SSD then a faster processor. Processors can be made forced to go faster then they were intended. HDD's can not.

- - - Updated - - -

eg, if you specify 8G ram, then make sure it's one 8Gb stick, not 2x4Gig sticks. Same with 16Gig ram, 2x8 may be a better long term prospect than will 4x4Gig sticks.
    Good advice, but doesn't RAM still work in pairs?
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Mate!..... if CaptureNX2 would run(natively) on Linux, I'd be there too(for the most part).

Id' rather not have to run an OS through another OS.

BTW, my kids enjoyed using Ubuntu a while back when I had it running on an old PC.
    But back then they were new to PCs in general(about 6 and 8 yo).
    But once they got their own Windows machines, they do actually prefer the Win environment over the more utilitarian Ubuntu method.

But it did run a whole heap faster on this old box, where Win7 struggled too much. WinXP 32 was fine on it tho.
    Not to get too far off topic, but apparently some people are running CaptureNX2 using Wine. This is running the app natively, just that Wine supplies the libraries that work with linux instead of Windows.

Also, Ubuntu have radically changed their interface (now called Unity) in later versions. I think it's better than Win8 anyway

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You already have loads of advice... But my two cents... SSD is a must for Windows and Programs, this type of hard drive has been a god send to me! Made LightRoom and Photoshop miles faster! Also, an i7 CPU and loads of RAM like 8 - 16gb. unless you're video editing with heavy rendering, your graphics card is not too important, an everyday $89 cheapy will do just fine.
    Daniel Thompson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Canon 7D & 5D Mark II : 24-70mm f2.8L : 70-200mm f2.8L IS II : 17-40mm f4L : CANON EF 100MM F2.8 MACRO L IS USM: 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM : 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS : 50mm f1.8 : 430EX II & 580EX II External Speedlites : Manfrotto 190X PROB + 804RC2 head : Lee CPL, ND and GND filter system : Lee Big Stopper : CS6 Photoshop : PS Elements 11 : PS Lightroom 5 Tightly packed into a Lowepro Pro Runner 450

Follow me on FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/GreenOrchardPhotography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for all your replies... I am going to have to sit down and go through it all, but it looks like plenty RAM and SSD for a start....
    See more at www.annpinnockphotography.com.au
    Sony A7R, Zeiss FE55 1.8, Zeiss FE16-35mm 4.0, Sony 28-70mm, Metabones Nikon convertor, Nikkor ED 70-300mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Tripod, Lee Seven5 Filters, PS, LR,

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies! I took lots from what was suggested and had my computer built -

I love it! The spec I went for is :

Intel i7 3770 cpu
    Intel DB75EN mainboard
    16 gig Kingmax DDR3 ram
    Gigabyte GTX 650 video card
    Hard drives -
    1 x Intel 240gig SSD
    1 x Seagate 2 Terrabyte HDD
    Thermaltake V4 case with 500w PSU
    Windows 7 64 bit Pro
    LG DVD Burner

Then I went all out and bought a Dell 27" UltraSharp Monitor!!

I am keeping the SSD just to run windows and save all programs to the 2TB internal drive.

I have two external WD Hard Drives 1 x 2TB and 1 x 3TB

LOVE IT All.

Annie

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that lot should percolate nicely.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'