User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Screw-on ND Grads?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screw-on ND Grads?

Ok, so I'm thinking about ND AND ND grad filters...

Google would suggest LEE & Cokin plates at the top of the tree and then working down the price range to cheaper screw on types.

Tiffen do what would appear to be a middle of the road screw-on 0.6 ND Grad, but what's people's thoughts on the screw-on ones?

From my limited knowledge I can see that you will be stuck with the line through the centre if the frame and can't move it up & down, only rotate about the centre...

Any other issues to consider?

Thx
    Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Q- From my limited knowledge I can see that you will be stuck with the line through the centre if the frame and can't move it up & down,

Exactly why the better solution is the slide version, as you never know where you want to put the 'horizon' line. I use Cokin P series, and a variety of cheap eBay ones without any problems. The cheap eBay ones are handy if you need to 'modify' the holder to suit an ultra wide angle lens (10mm +\-) You can always upgrade yourself later to a more expensive Lee set, or dive right in at the beginning. Comes down to your budget.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got one. I've never used it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a screw on type but wish i had got the COKIN one
    If i were you i would get the COKIN type as i intend to do
    My adventures with and

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks All, looks like I'll give the screw-on's a miss.

Only yesterday I could have done with one, and guess what, I didn't want the horizon in the middle!!!

Thx
    Jon
    Sent using Forum Runner
    Last edited by Ventureoverland; 26-05-2013 at 11:35am.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't do the screw on! I was trying to think of exceptions , but struggling to do so lol
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    Don't do the screw on! I was trying to think of exceptions , but struggling to do so lol
    Thanks Dylan.

Can anyone confirm if the Cokin system will accommodate 82mm Dia filter sizes?

I seem to recall they are only big enough to attach to the front of a 77mm. May need to google when I get to a 'puter. If so, then its gonna have to be a LEE system so it can attach to the 16-35 Mkii.

Thx
    Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon cokin do have 82mm adapters
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see you are getting good advice.

Unless you can think of a specific reason why you would want a screw on ND Grad, which would produce a gradient at a specific area of exposure, don't get one.

If you can possibly afford it, get the LEE filter system. I have them and they are freaking awesome. No colour cast, high quality plastics or glass etc and they will preserve the image quality of your equipment.

I had the Cokin system and could never really get rid of the colour cast and my images were never really sharp with them on. With LEE on board, the images are as sharp with the filters on or off.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a really excellent B&W 77mm...optically brilliant but as said before you are stuck with your horizon at mid frame. Shoot wide & crop??.I've also got a set of cheap Cokin knockoffs & for experiments or B&W they are fine.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fruengalli View Post
    I've got a really excellent B&W 77mm...optically brilliant but as said before you are stuck with your horizon at mid frame. Shoot wide & crop??.I've also got a set of cheap Cokin knockoffs & for experiments or B&W they are fine.

Cokin knockoffs? Someone actually bothers to counterfeit these?

I have heard/read about the B&W's they have a cast as well.

All the casting filters are fine for monochrome which would explain why so many long exposure image are monochrome. Some careful experimentation will almost eliminate the casting altogether.