User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: what video card

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what video card

just bought a new monitor to replace a faulty ( thats what I tell the missus ) 27 inch dell 16x10....I think its a 2709W..the new screen is a 30 inch dell 3014...I know my video card is a bit low end...and idea of what I need to get the best out of the new screen....Ive always had Nvidia cards...
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thommo, whatt'ervyergot already in video cards?
    Am(wondering).
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just had a look..its a Gigabyte GTS 250...says it will do 2560x1600..

using capture one for editing..i cant sure the open GL setting for editing..but I can on my dell laptop..my card would be around 4 years old 1 gig of video Ram

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it manages to reach the monitor's specs. Have you given it a whirl yet?
    Am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How much do you want to spend..you can spend very little to a LOT.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tommo.

I always have a look at Tom's Hardware before I plonk down the readies. Here is a link to their latest monthly 'best buy' for Video Cards. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html

These are mainly cards for gaming, but they will also do a bloody good job with PP and will get the most from your new monitor. I go for the lower end models and have always found their recommendations to be spot-on.

I have also found that some cards don't like some motherboards so I'd be inclined to stick with a Gigabyte card as it has been happy in your system.

Just watch the size of the card and the power requirements.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally i wouldnt bother with a high end card unless you are doing some pretty intensive gaming... unless you like throwing money around. for me, i buy for a purpose and dont like to spend unnecessary $$$ so i'd just get a low end card that will run with your monitors specs.

- - - Updated - - -

btw, i have a gtx 550 ti and do a fair amount of 3d gaming.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet..but I will do and see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Well, it manages to reach the monitor's specs. Have you given it a whirl yet?
    Am.
    - - - Updated - - -

no more than $300....Im not too interested in gaming,,but i would like to use the open cL aspect that capture one7 has introduced..as it makes PP work a little quicker in rendering the adjustments

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    How much do you want to spend..you can spend very little to a LOT.
    - - - Updated - - -

Gee I aint been to Toms hardware for a while...just looked up the MB specs..seems Im restricted to a PCI express version 2.0 card..so that may limit my choices

Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Hi Tommo.

I always have a look at Tom's Hardware before I plonk down the readies. Here is a link to their latest monthly 'best buy' for Video Cards. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html

These are mainly cards for gaming, but they will also do a bloody good job with PP and will get the most from your new monitor. I go for the lower end models and have always found their recommendations to be spot-on.

I have also found that some cards don't like some motherboards so I'd be inclined to stick with a Gigabyte card as it has been happy in your system.

Just watch the size of the card and the power requirements.
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 24-05-2013 at 8:59pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously, as you don't have much interest in gaming, a $80-90 2Gb 600 series Nvidia will do the job perfectly for 'ya(with 2560x1600 res capability).

$300 is a bit over the top.

You can probably get a 2 or 4Gig 630 series card for about $70-80

I'm looking at either the Asus GT640-DCSL-2GD3(more expensive) or the GT630-DCSL-2GD3(cheaper) ... depending on what's in stock at the time. 640 series is obviously faster, but not by all that much and if it's only for photo editing, you won't see any of that performance advantage anyhow.

My initial preference is for the cheaper 630 card, and not just for the $30 saving either. The Asus incarnation of this nvidia design doesn't use a fan for cooling, but a passive heatsink. Obviously minimises noise, and while graphics cards with fans usually produce very low noise levels .. it is one more aspect of the PC to go wrong .. later down the track. They can build up with too much dust and subsequently build up noise levels.

On one card, I had to eventually replace the small fan due to an annoyingly noisy operating level. It was a dodgey home made affair, where I had to literally rip the old fan off the heatsink, and then screw on a larger much quieter fan onto the heatsink fins. Worked like a dream in that the new fan made no (detectable)noise.

So there's some more things for 'ya to think about Steve.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one seems to work well on SHMBO's new pc Steve.

All we need to do now is to get her doing some serious video editing to test it out -------
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the Link Andrew..the 650 looks like a contender for sure

Arthur..I see your point of the lower end 6XX cards.....

most of yesterday I was doing some research and looking on Gumtree for any gamers that might have a used higher end cards for not too much money..seen a few 680...but still a bit rich for me.....I did look at the older 580...

also checked out the ATI cards..such as the 7950 or 7970...dunno nothing about them though...also I may have to replace my PSU..seems these new cards draw quite a few watts

while I was trawling through GT...I saw a used Dell U3011 for $750 ( they never come up in perth !!!!)...now Im in a dilemma about do I cancel my U3014 order and buy the used ( still has two years warranty) U3011..the saving is around $400 if I do.....i could put that money towards a epson 3880 .....but the new screen has LEDS backlighting saving power USB3 and a less aggressive Anti glare coating...Im gonna check it out today...also I need to make sure I can cancel the dell order too....or I might end up with two 30 Inchers....what shame that would be

this end of the photography business is as painful as researching new lenses etc..but equally as important I think ?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the option of a 3014 or a 3011, I'd take the 3014 any day of the week(unless the 3011 was much cheaper than $750).

Many reasons for this, one is that the 3014 will calibrate slightly better, but another important consideration is that the 3014 will use 1/2 the power that the 3011 will.

That's about 40(odd)watts calibrated for the 3014 vs 85(odd) watts for the 3011 .. both calibrated. They use even more power at default settings due to increased brightness settings from the factory.

3014 has a 14 bit on board procesor as opposed to the 3011's 10 bit. That makes colours accuracy a little bit more accurate, but in saying that, us humans won't really see those differences.

I'd say go for the 3014. It'll end up being a better long term proposition.
    If that means having to get a 630 series nvidia card at $70(ish), at least the 630 has the ability to drive the screen.
    The 630 should still run the screen smoothly for almost any video work that you may end up doing.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too late..I ended up buying the 3011 for $650....its as new with 18 months warranty left....it looks great at 2560x1600 at about 70 cms away....Ill put the savings towards a new printer in the end it will be a $496 saving ( $610 if i factor the GST)

I know the power is double..but it aint on all the time..so I doubt ill see much money lost that way....

now just got to cancel tha other monitor tomorrow and get a $1260 refund..lets hope thats easy..!!

LOL..the things I do