Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK - Unsolicited Calls!!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't read all the posts here, but might read them after this.

The do not call register, which I have been on for about 6 years has been great for us, even with our silent number.a number that has been silent for 15 years, we still do get the occasional call from a foreign agency.

From your OP, I don't know if it is overseas calls or locals that's getting your attention.

Essentially, what occurs in these call centers is a computer generates a number, it calls you and then one of the available operators picks up the call. The operators work on an incentive bases, which is standard practice across any industry now days.

There can be a short paused between you picking up your phone and the operator answering as the call needs to resolved at their end, it is long distance and it is VOIP.

Do you have local junk calls? If so, maybe you or someone in your home have released your number to a marketing agency. Have you subscribed to any news papers or competitions lately?
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enduro. I use my mobile phone for when I join anything, and oddly, I don't get too many at all on that. They were from local sources.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is info on who can or can't cold-call you and under what circumstances they can. "Inferred Consent" is the exemption that most scumbags (I hesitate to call them outbound marketers) use to justify calling you. Many of us photographers carry business cards for instance. We hand them out. Some of the people you are handing them to are going to call you and try to sell you something. Publish your contact details on your website, and you will be targeted.

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_100642

I don't like to tell charities to f&*k off when they call me, even the serving Police Officer from the PCYC who calls me every year in spite of me telling him to F^&k off every year, but I point out to them that I'm on the register for a reason, and annoying me is not going to get me to open my wallet.

- - - Updated - - -

Inferred Consent explained further:

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_310572

Conspicuous Publication does have to be all that conspicuous for these clowns.
    Last edited by Warbler; 25-05-2013 at 1:51pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Int articles, Warbler. In the light of them, I am successfully missing out on a lot of cold calls.
    I'll see how it goes.
    Am.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can fix that for you AM. What's your email address? I'll register you on a couple of news sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    I have a whistle beside the phone funny thing is they never call back again

me too, but we still get occasional calls. Mind you, a lot less than before the whistle.

We don't use the whistle on calls from charities of course. We do inform THEM that we don't donate to those who call and they are now on our DO NOT DONATE list. That seems to have reduced the number of those calls as well.
    Last edited by Boo53; 25-05-2013 at 5:21pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12