Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: The Australian Tax !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Australian Tax !!

Beware..this is a RANT

I dont know about you guys but im fed up to the back teeth with getting reamed by Australian Arms of multinational corps..so much so that I sent a email to Epson regarding their pricing policy of high end photo printer ( because I want one )

The printer is the Epson R3880
    heres my email

"Hi
    Just wondering why the Americans can buy a R3880 printer for $889 US and we Aussies with a stronger Dollar are still paying $1990... !!
    seems like price gouging to me ?dont you realise if you dropped the price people would buy more of these units ?its no wonder buyers are buying OS

regards
    Steve"

their reply..and I must admit I was amazed I even got a reply

"Thank you for contacting Epson Support.

We review our prices against competitor products with similar specifications to ensure that we are not pricing beyond market expectations.

We do not consider the prices in other countries of similar Epson products when setting Australian prices. Our prices are based on costs incurred by Epson Australia in delivering this product to market.

Regards

Epson Customer Support"

so bascily we will continue to rip you off because we can !!..also I cant even buy one from B&H..because of a import deal epson have that precludes grey importing their gear.. sometimes it sucks to be a Aussie
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 22-05-2013 at 10:12pm.
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are companies that you can use as shippers in the US which allows you to get around such rubbish. They charge a small fee but nothing like what the difference is in that price.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We review our prices against competitor products with similar specifications to ensure that we are not pricing beyond market expectations.

... Our prices are based on costs incurred by Epson Australia in delivering this product to market.

One or the other.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what gives me the absolute Sh#ts is Id like to just go down the road and buy my gear from a bloke who will look after me and still feed his family..I ain't asking for much..just comparative pricing with the rest of the developed world ..these companies sell in a global marketplace now..or aint they heard of the internet ....Id even pay a few more dollars as I did with my D800 to buy locally...but not another $1000 ..thats just rude in my book .

Ive just been scanning Amazon..seems I might be able to buy from there....I can get a 30" dell 3011 monitor and the Epson R3880 for the same price as just the R3880 from a local dealer..its just plain crazy..and our exporters have to fight against a high AU dollar..yet it seems our importers have a low AU dollar...LMAO

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I also blame our successive governments. Remember last year they had an inquiry into this exact thing, mostly software related, but what outcome? In a few years time someone might produce a report and say they think we are being over-charged, then someone else in parliament will mention that the inquiry was 'years ago', so the data might be to old now, and the status quo will remain. Remember that the government gets nice juicy taxes (GST at least) on a price of $1990, but they would not get anywhere near as much on $889.00. As has been reported in the media recently, Australia has become one of the most expensive places on Earth, to live...and it is going to get worse over the next few years.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you follow it up with another email stating that they have confirmed they are gouging and you will bypass them?
    I would. (Want me to?)
    Am(raged!).
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do buy from Amazon don't forget to factor in that it will be 110Volt not 240.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very misleading thread title as this pricing has nothing to do with tax!
    Governments do not control prices so how can anyone blame successive governments?
    110 volts only if it comes from Amazon in the USA I have bought electrical goods from Amazon Germany and they are 240 volts, only need an adaptor for the plug.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blkmcs View Post
    Very misleading thread title as this pricing has nothing to do with tax!
    Governments do not control prices so how can anyone blame successive governments?
    110 volts only if it comes from Amazon in the USA I have bought electrical goods from Amazon Germany and they are 240 volts, only need an adaptor for the plug.
    It's actually a common term in the Industry for any technology related item that is more expensive in Australia.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realistically, you would have to expect that these niche type products will attract a massive price premium in Australia compared to a massive market such as the USA!!

it's not something we like, that's for sure, but it's simply a product of our small market. Epson still have to make a profit locally, otherwise they'll end up just like Ford have!!

I'm sure there is some price gouging going on by Epson, and I'd have thought that a minimum of 50% premium in price compared to the US would be normal.

The other option would be that Epson could simply drop the prices of their products to correspond with those of the US market, and drive themselves broke in a matter of a year or two, and we'd have no option to buy them in Aus. Or the even worse situation whereby there are no official subsidiaries, or importers, and it's a free for all for any importer to bring them into the country and they don't provide any local support!
    And Espon(parent company) are most certain not to risk developing a bad reputation in that scenario.

Look at just about any Chinese product coming into the country, where the biggest issue is that of customer support. Their cars are generally avoided due to limited local support and the fear from consumers that it won't improve. A while back I took a Great Wall wagon for a test drive and was surprised at how well it actually drove, and how highly appointed it was in terms of features. I would have bought one too had it not been for a typical SUV shortcoming, as the price was very good. Look at any cheap Chinese electrical/electronic product and see if you can get any assistance from the manufacturer if you have issues with the device.
    Support in terms of firmware/assistance/warranty/repairs/parts/etc. If the importer doesn't specifically care, then you're on your own.

If some enterprising Chinese company decides that this Epson printer may be a worthwhile business effort to pursue and they replicate it(just as they do with almost all other products!), then I suppose you'll have a R3880 type printer for under $1K .. but don't expect any sort of product support when it's not working as you hoped it would.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to play the devil's advocate. I wonder how many of you, if you were running your own business and were in the similar boat as Epson Australia, would decide, out of the goodness of your heart, to price things that were fair rather than what you could actually charge the market when compared to the competition? When it is your business on the line, I bet most would get the highest price they could!

In this case, as they are quite an upmarket product, there is a finite number of these printers sold, different to the low end where they are competing on sheer volume and $ - however making up for lost profit on the price of their printer inks!! At this end, they look at the competition and see a printer from Canon, Lexmark, or what ever and see their price as $1,999, why sell it at $1,400 (a price which would be more reflective of the Australian market than the low US$899 price you quoted in the US) when you'd sell basically the same number as they would at $1,999.
    Last edited by Lance B; 23-05-2013 at 3:46pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    Just to play the devil's advocate. I wonder how many of you, if you were running your own business and were in the similar boat as Epson Australia, would decide, out of the goodness of your heart, to price things that were fair rather than what you could actually charge the market when compared to the competition? When it is your business on the line, I bet most would get the highest price they could!

In this case, as they are quite an upmarket product, there is a finite number of these printers sold, different to the low end where they are competing on sheer volume and $ - however making up for lost profit on the price of their printer inks!! At this end, they look at the competition and see a printer from Canon, Lexmark, or what ever and see their price as $1,999, why sell it at $1,400 (a price which would be more reflective of the Australian market than the low US$899 price you quoted in the US) when you'd sell basically the same number as they would at $1,999.
    I work for a wholesaler in sales, and often when I could get $25 per piece for a given item, I will regularly sell it for $17 + GST knowing that people talk. (also most of our items are reusable only to a point) and will come back to get more later. It's the goose that lays the golden egg thing all over again.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    I work for a wholesaler in sales, and often when I could get $25 per piece for a given item, I will regularly sell it for $17 + GST knowing that people talk. (also most of our items are reusable only to a point) and will come back to get more later. It's the goose that lays the golden egg thing all over again.
    As I said, it depends on the market and what you are trying to do. You can see a benefit in selling that particular item at a lower cost as it will probably assist in other sales. As I stated in my post, at the low end, it is competitive and price is king, at the higher end, it is a different scenario. I do the same thing in my business. Epson will more than likely garner no favours selling this particular item at a much lower price, unlike their low end products. It's the free market system.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id rather sell it a bit cheaper than have people buy OS to get a better deal..might be a moot point anyways as the dollar is heading south against the green back....I wonder how many retailers will hike their prices even before the drop has a effect...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind, if the Greens get their way, you'll be living in a cave and walking to the unemployment office.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I just bought a 30 Inch dell due to the 30% discount so the printer will have to take a backseat for a few months now..I bought from Dell AU...so it does show that better pricing will make your good sell ..
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 23-05-2013 at 8:25pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Never mind, if the Greens get their way, you'll be living in a cave and walking to the unemployment office.
    You'll also be able to euthanase yourself if you don't like it!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refrain, "All things bright and ..."

(But hurry, as stocks are limited.)