User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: D800 set up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D800 set up

Hi I am not sure if this has been covered here before but I was wondering about any views on the right set up for sport shots verses birding shot is there a major difference in set up of the camera.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are shooting action sports, with lots of fast movement, you can initiate two things, one set the default ISO to 400 or 800, to ensure you get faster shutter speeds, without pushing the ISO to high that noise/grain intrudes. A few tests should determine if 400 or 800 suits your needs best. The second thing would involve focus. Set your autofocus mode to af-c (continuous focus), so the camera constantly focuses on the subject and set the AF area more to 3D tracking, thus the camera will track the subject and if they move across the frame it will select a new focus point to ensure the subject is kept in focus.

However, it depends on the type of sport you are shooting, the above works well for fast paced, multi-directional and angle, sports. Take a tennis player making sudden moves forward and backward, side to side.

You may find alternate settings work better depending on the sport being shot
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    set the AF area more to 3D tracking, thus the camera will track the subject and if they move across the frame it will select a new focus point to ensure the subject is kept in focus.
    Hmm I've found the 3D tracking to be a bit of a hit and miss on my D800 in complicated backgrounds with thick trees and bushes (I get much better results with 51 points). 3D works well for me when I'm birding against a clear blue sky. Mind you, I'm using an archaic 70-210 AF which is a slow POS.

Edit: regarding ISO, I set mine to auto with a minimum shutter speed of 1250 and max ISO of 3200.
    Last edited by Sifor; 19-05-2013 at 3:58pm.
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one I used as a starting point for my D700. You can use something like this and then adjust as you see fit.

http://www.outthereimages.com/images...etup_Guide.pdf

As mentioned, the 3D isn't great. I used it for kids and that's about all. Everything else I use the 9 or 21 point tracking.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks that is some help I my have had the minimum shutter speed set a little low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D800 setup guide can be found here.

http://www.outthereimages.com/12_04_newsletter.html

There is also a link to download files.
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar