User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: File saving in the future, PSD of TIFF?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

File saving in the future, PSD of TIFF?

Now that Adobe has come out with Creative Cloud as the only option to use PS in the future, I am starting to wonder if I should start saving my new files as unflatten TIFF and not as PSD files. It is a new concern seeing a PSD file is strictly a formatted to work on Adobe products. I currently use CS5 and it is doubtful I will subscribe to new C.C. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by ricktas; 19-05-2013 at 6:42am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure why you set your post up as a table with white background and light text. It was impossible to read. so I fixed that.

I have never saved as psd as it is a proprietary format. It's annoying enough that camera companies use proprietary raw formats. so I have saved all my working files as tif and so hopefully they will be easily accessible in the future with ps or whatever other editing software comes along that offers me what I need,

p.s. If you want your blog address in your posts go to settings, top right corner of any Ausphotography page and edit your signature to include it. Just posting it with your post each time makes people think they have to click it for more information on the topic you have raised, and they gets annoying when you click and there is nothing there on the topic.
    Last edited by ricktas; 19-05-2013 at 6:51am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I am new here and still finding my way around.
    Last edited by Jad; 20-05-2013 at 1:08pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually only save as PSDs when I want to keep some particular Photoshop features for a while. It is not my permanent record of an image. Those are the original raw
    (plus metadata, but which is easily undone) and a finished jpeg, perhaps a tiff.

And how's the trip?
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I agree with the proprotary image issue, but wouldn;t a DNG be a better format as it's still a RAW format?

If PS can't save as a DNG (been a while since I played with it) then a TIFF would be the next best I guess.

I also have converted a lot of my NEF files (raw nikon) to DNG as well and it would appear that I am forced to now since CS3 cant be updated to the latest ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) needed for the D600.

Mick
    Mick

Nikon D600 & D80, 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 50mm f1.4 Sigma ,18-135 Nikkor, Kenko Extension Tubes, SB-700 and a few little bits and pieces

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After I've finished editing a file, I keep a copy of RAW (catalogued in lightroom) , a 'base' edited TIFF file (which can then be reworked for print on different media), and a jpeg for web.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same as Dylan.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I usually only save as PSDs when I want to keep some particular Photoshop features for a while. It is not my permanent record of an image. Those are the original raw
    (plus metadata, but which is easily undone) and a finished jpeg, perhaps a tiff.

And how's the trip?
    Am.
    That is similar to my approach. Not every image I make is worthy of PS processing but I keep them much like I did with a film negative. My important images are my main concern and I will make sure I adapt them to any new changes in software of storage hardware so I have access to them in the future. Keeping your files current to the changing technology is a real concern with digital photography. I have thousands of 4x5 negatives that are archival processed and stored properly. There is a satisfaction knowing I never need to worry about them becoming obsolete because of new technology. We will be heading into the mountains of West Virginia to make some photographs The rain we are having this week will make for good waterfalls pictures.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my touch ups are in Lightroom which allows me to work with the raw. When I have to do something in Photoshop, its TIF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for the guys using LR..do you convert your camera Raw files to the Adobe DNG format?.....or can you work on the original Raw file such as a .NEF for Nikon ?
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can work on the original NEF files.

Last edited by MissionMan; 22-05-2013 at 8:50am.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like some other comments, I do most my work in LR 3.6 but and special edits in PSE9 but have found some issues with post sharpening etc back in LR with a TIFF file so for a while now I have been using PSD to save the workings of PSE and then jpeg or tiff for a final product file that will be printed or supplied to a customer.
    Last edited by mikew09; 22-05-2013 at 2:57pm.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's an image that has had a lot of adjustment in PS I will save a PSD before flattening the image and exporting to JPG just so I can go back later and either remind myself how I did something or in case I want to make any changes in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

If it's an image that has had a lot of adjustment in PS I will save a PSD before flattening the image and exporting to JPG just so I can go back later and either remind myself how I did something or in case I want to make any changes in the future.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Whether it's a potato or a nut it's a foodage - K. Pilkington
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://500px.com/dmacaulay75