User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I do with this antique camera?

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What should I do with this antique camera?

This was my father's camera and I said I'd find out whether it was worth selling or not. It was working when last used, but that's so long ago. Don't know if you can buy film for it, or what type it takes even, so I haven't tried it out. The shutter works, and the shutter speed adjustment ring works, as does the aperture adjustment. The focus ring turns as well. The bellows look intact and undamaged.

My options are

1. he can keep it, if it is worthless
    2. sell it (on eBay?) if it is collectable
    3. buy it from him myself as a great shelf display camera
    4. buy it and use it?

All depends on what it might be worth, and I want to do the right thing by him.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check completed listing in Evilbay to see what it's actually selling for. Not sure if the camera below is a good guide to what you might expect for yours. Often little differences, such as the type of lens, can make a big difference to desirability and price.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Cameras-/...mplete=1&rt=nc

I'm not familiar with it so I have no idea if it's worth anything.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day WP

My thoughts are "go for #3 above"
    I have seen far too many of this camera style in display cabinets up & down the eastern states - ie- it;s a very common design, but I have no immediate knowledge of the actual camera make. I also feel that you'd be able to buy lots of these for $20 at various flea markets

Film-wise it'll take either '120' or '620' roll film - the only difference if I remember it, is the dia of the internal metal rod that the film is mounted onto ~ the drive cog/key will give some idea of which is which

Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with Ozzie. Buy it and keep it yourself. Not only are you into photography, but this can be a great keepsake from your dad in years to come.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you guys are all correct. My preference is for option 3, but I really want to be fair to him w.r.t the price. I found one other reference that indicated the price might vary from $20 to $70 depending on condition. I think, if I put it on eBay, he might get about $50.

I'd love to put a roll of film through this camera. But even if I get some '620' or '120' respooled onto '620' hardware, who would develop it? I am guessing, none of the usual mall photo shops. I think I'll be happy to have it as a display piece.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So... Have you checked it out thoroughly? It worked, you indicate. Does it still work? Some of the options may become irrelevant if it does not.
    But if it does!!! Well, what do you do with a working camera?
    Look up who develops film still. There are plenty of places that do , even 120/620. The 120 is quite available and I have a few rolls in the fridge.
    If it is 620, well, I dunno if it's obtainable, but you could find out via Google, I'm sure. It's a matter of the spool it is wound on.
    As for turning it into cash, how strapped are you?
    Am.

Gosh! The only refs to manuals for this camera are to be paid for.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 18-05-2013 at 10:16pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I agree with Ozzie. Buy it and keep it yourself. Not only are you into photography, but this can be a great keepsake from your dad in years to come.

A quick google http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Kinax/Kinax-I.html

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    So... Have you checked it out thoroughly? It worked, you indicate. Does it still work? Some of the options may become irrelevant if it does not.
    But if it does!!! Well, what do you do with a working camera?
    Look up who develops film still. There are plenty of places that do , even 120/620. The 120 is quite available and I have a few rolls in the fridge.
    If it is 620, well, I dunno if it's obtainable, but you could find out via Google, I'm sure. It's a matter of the spool it is wound on.
    As for turning it into cash, how strapped are you?
    Am.

Gosh! The only refs to manuals for this camera are to be paid for.
    As far as I can tell, I think it works.
    - by putting the shutter on 'B', cocking it and firing, I was able to observe the aperture iris closing. Different aperture settings result in the expected change in aperture..
    - the shutter trigger seems to work as expected on other shutter speed settings
    - the focus ring turns and the front lens element moves as it turns on it's thread.
    - the bellows do not appear to have any holes or other problems (although, due to age, I fear their longevity)
    - opening the back, I find a spare spool in the film supply end of the camera, which can be removed and placed in the take-up end. The winding knob turns it, so I expect a new film can be loaded and exposed successfully.
    - the little window in the back opens to allow viewing of the film position while the back is closed.
    The only fault I found is that the rear of the lens - easily accessible with the back open, needs cleaning.

As for turning it into cash, no, I don't especially want to do that. But, if it had been a rare collector's piece worth hundreds of dollars or more, then the right thing to do would be to sell it for my father. If, as it appears, it is only worth $50 or so, I will buy it from him (if he is happy with that). I like old technology, and I think this is a cool camera. I would actually use it, but as I said, I worry about it's age and the bellows especially, so it may not stand up to much use.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Yep doesn't look as if it's at all rare or collectable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Kinax (made in France, if I remember correctly) Was a reasonable camera in its day. Used 120 film. Try it with cheap film or find somebody who can process the film for you. Otherwise, find a place on the shelf.
    Alive and still clicking - apologies to PSQ.
    Living and working in the Roaring Forties
    Assorted cameras of all sizes and shapes including Pentax K (the original), MX, Z1,K20D; 50mm 1.2, 35mm 2.0, 85mm 1.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with option 4, if it doesn't properly, you can always switch it option 3. You can show up all the hipsters and take real instagram style photos (if not better).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with no.3, as a personal memento, and also as an display of earlier phot. equipment.
    Constructive critique of my photos is welcome and appreciated.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the spool - there is always one left after you remove the film that has been wound off the "new" spool - measure the thickness
    of the rod. From memoir (since we're talking old) the rod on a 120 spool is about 1cm wide. I seem to have the impression that for the 620 spool,
    the width is about 5mm. If it's a 120 camera then you're
    Am(laughing along with yer*).

*That is, if it still takes a good pic. Also check whether the lens is clear and not funged up. Look through it.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 19-05-2013 at 4:16pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It measures about 7mm. I am sure, I saw at least one reference that said it took 620.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wet... So I got looking a this again, given that you might be needing 620 film.
    There are lots of refs if you just search "620 film", but two facts quickly emerge:
    1. 620 is available along where you get hen's teeth
    2. It is expensive compared to 120 film.

I found this useful little video that tells you
    all about it. Just watch it and you will know all. (And it's mildly entertaining.)
    Am.

Alternatively, I (think) I read somewhere that you can alter the 120 spool ends to suit the 620 engaging mechanism.
    So it wasn't a dream! Scroll down the page a bit for a comparison.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 19-05-2013 at 5:40pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may find this link useful, re- 620 film, too-
    http://www.brownie-camera.com/buyfilm.shtml

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's cheap for a roll of B&W 120 film, so I think I will just buy a roll and see if it will fit. Apparently, it does on some cameras, and if it doesn't, a file and nail clippers will make it fit. I just cleaned up the lens, front and back, and it's not too bad - just one small blemish.

I need to figure out exposures manually of course - just never done that before. The camera has f4.5 to 32, and focus 6 feet to infinity. The shutter is marked 10 to 150 and B. Of course the B is bulb. Are the other markers likely to be 1/10th to 1/150th seconds? If so, I better not get film that's too fast, 100ISO or less.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on yer. That sounds like the spirit. Figure out the exposure fairly easily. Negative film will forgive a stop or so. Try ISO 100, f/11, 1/250sec. (Or so.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another interesting use would be to convert it to a pinhole camera.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 10 to 150 is most likely to be 1/10th to 1/150th. my medium format camera goes from bulb to 1/30th second only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would keep it. I have one of my Fathers camera he had back in 1950. He is gone but the camera sit on my shelf as a memory of him and his days doing photography. Many of the old family black and white pictures I have were taken with that camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast