User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Nikon 85mm 1.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon 85mm 1.8

Has anyone used this (not quoting the 1.4)... for indoor portraits?

If so whats your thoughts?
    Cheers

Wazza
    ---------------------

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are talking about the 85mm f1.8G, it is supposed to be one of Nikon's finest. This is the last page of a 3 page test by Photozone and the lens gets 4.5 stars out of 5. They don't get much better than that!

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/717...8518ff?start=2

It also gets a huge score of 40 on DXO Mark, not many get that score, it's as high as the legendary 85mm f1.4G:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Len...%29/Nikon-D800
    Last edited by Lance B; 16-05-2013 at 8:07pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    If you are talking about the 85mm f1.4G, it is supposed to be one of Nikon's finest. This is the last page of a 3 page test by Photozone and the lens gets 4.5 stars out of 5. They don't get much better than that!

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/717...8518ff?start=2

It also gets a huge score of 40 on DXO Mark, not many get that score, it's as high as the legendary 85mm f1.4G:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Len...%29/Nikon-D800
    Hi Lance.. no mate, am opting for the 1.8 for financial reasons.
    Going to have a read anyway.. thanks for that

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Ackary View Post
    Hi Lance.. no mate, am opting for the 1.8 for financial reasons.
    Going to have a read anyway.. thanks for that
    Sorry, idiot me put 1.4G instead of 1.8G. If you reread it now, I have editted my post to read 85mm f1.8G instead of 1.4G. I even linked to the correct sites as 85mm f1.8G. So, what I said still stands, it is a superb lens and brilliant for portraits.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the older variety 85 f/1.8D Af-s and the biggest + would be the
    9 Diaphragm blades the G series only has 7 so Bohek would be more eye pleasing

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't used the F/1.8 version Warren but as Lance has pointed out it is extremely well regarded at a very desirable price point.
    Given your usage of "indoor portraits" for the lens on an FX body it requires you to be fairly close to the subject for head and shoulder portraits. This is a bonus where space or the lack of it needs to be taken into account. Being close to the subject generally means that you will need to have a sufficiently small enough aperture in use to give enough depth of field to the subject so the difference between F/1.4 and F/1.8 becomes a non issue. The focal length is also sufficiently long enough to avoid a lot of distortion for that style of portrait as well.
    The 85mm length is the first thing that I look for when doing that style of photo so what is there not to like about that lens.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    I haven't used the F/1.8 version Warren but as Lance has pointed out it is extremely well regarded at a very desirable price point.
    Given your usage of "indoor portraits" for the lens on an FX body it requires you to be fairly close to the subject for head and shoulder portraits. This is a bonus where space or the lack of it needs to be taken into account. Being close to the subject generally means that you will need to have a sufficiently small enough aperture in use to give enough depth of field to the subject so the difference between F/1.4 and F/1.8 becomes a non issue. The focal length is also sufficiently long enough to avoid a lot of distortion for that style of portrait as well.
    The 85mm length is the first thing that I look for when doing that style of photo so what is there not to like about that lens.
    All very good advice, Andrew. When you are that close to a subject, you will probably require a min aperture of about f4 to get enough of the subject in focus.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a lovely lens and very sharp, though my example is unusually prone to spherochromatism at wider apertures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thumbs up for the 85mm f/1.8 G lens.I have a 85mm 1.8 f/1.4 D to go on a D800 and 1.8 G is my go to lens ... easy to use on the run and lots of fun to use
    Nikon Gear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was the first lens that I bought when I changed my kit from Pentax to Nikon.

I love it. It's disgustingly sharp and and quiet. I've used it for indoor and outdoor portraits. Works great on my D90 and D300s. If I were to lose my kit, I would cry over that lens alone. And maybe a bit over my 35mm but definitely the 85. LOL
    [- Instagram -]

Nikon Slave... (D90 & D300S)
    -- CCs extremely welcome, further editing of my photos is not. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 85 1.4d and it's lovely, even though in some occasion I would prefer the rendition of a G lenses, it's razor sharp and the right focal lenght for portraits (especially in dx)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/61845413@N07/
    D80 + 50mm f1.4g + 85mm f1.4d + sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS + SB900