Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Furore over award-winning photo

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HDR using a single exposure is usually called psuedo HDR, because(as already said) there is no more digital information in a single image psuedo HDR as there is in a single image.

You could easily forego the convoluted process of creating the various exposure compensated images from the single exposure .. and then merging again, and simply process in the normal manner (dodging/burning)! It's the same information in the file that's being used.

Most modern digital cameras have the ability to recover at least 3 stop of 'lost' information in the SOOC raw file. That's usually 1 stop in the highlights, and 2 stops in the shadows.

Most commonly made multi exposure HDR images are created with the aim to capture more than this extra 3stops of dynamic range that the camera can't reveal.

- - - Updated - - -

HDR using a single exposure is usually called psuedo HDR, because(as already said) there is no more digital information in a single image psuedo HDR as there is in a single image.

You could easily forego the convoluted process of creating the various exposure compensated images from the single exposure .. and then merging again, and simply process in the normal manner (dodging/burning)! It's the same information in the file that's being used.

Most modern digital cameras have the ability to recover at least 3 stop of 'lost' information in the SOOC raw file. That's usually 1 stop in the highlights, and 2 stops in the shadows.

Most commonly made multi exposure HDR images are created with the aim to capture more than this extra 3stops of dynamic range that the camera can't reveal.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Definitely not a worthy World PRESS image candidate, let alone a winner IMO.
    I think we disagree with that one, Arthur. The impact is all in the subject. I think we can get a bit hung up here on having a perfectly exposed, composed, etc image with no thought to the subject (or degree of difficulty).

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all seems to have stirred some pretty extreme reactions about what is allowed and what isn't.

This page shows things in a slightly different light ( pardon the pun ) with what is claimed to be a before and after mouse over comparison of the shot.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/manu...hotos_big.html
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill put my two bobs worth in..... why not!!

It could be a HDR from a single photo, copied 3 or more times, each altered with their exposure and then blended together...... or it could be a simple dodge and burn on a single image......

Either way, it is a fantastic image and I don't see what the fuss is all about. He is legit in what he did and didn't stray from the rules. Even those who use film dodge and burn to get a final image. Nothing out of the ordinary and very basic indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    It all seems to have stirred some pretty extreme reactions about what is allowed and what isn't.

This page shows things in a slightly different light ( pardon the pun ) with what is claimed to be a before and after mouse over comparison of the shot.

It didn't work! What ever.....still a great image with a lot of impact!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post

The interesting quote from Andrews link; "Hover your mouse pointer over the image below to switch from the newly-discovered newspaper version to that which won the World Press Photo contest."
    So the photo in Jim and Dylan's previous links aren't the true reproduction of the winning photo?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could live with the HDR processing from a single image, the dodgin and burning but don't agree with painting in a different hairline for the subject holding the child on the left
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is an amazing photo. A once in a lifetime shot. I suspect that much of the criticism is from people who know they will never get a shot like it. Are we really going to say that you can't lighten areas of a photo, particularly when the intent is to bring out the detail of faces? Are we going to apply rules that we don't apply to any other photos to these extraordinary ones? That just seems to be jealousy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a highly emotional image...looking at the childrens faces is quite heart breaking..the anguish and knowing that the people in the bodies are no longer there..also the emotion of the mourners really brings the image to a unbearable conclusion......for me thats what the image says.

yes the Photographer has Dodged and burned..pushed and pulled..big deal !!..its not a fake..not a composite...these post judge bloggers are fools

one other thing...imagine you are the Tog in this environment..looks to be taken with a wide angle in their face lens ..he would have been walking backwards at a frantic pace firing off image after image...what a difficult workspace to endure
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 17-05-2013 at 9:08am.
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I tend to see it as exposure blending, where two or more version of the same RAW file are blended and the final is created, where masking etc is applied to allow different parts of the different layers shine through. Whereas for me, HDR is where the entire photo, as a whole, is processed to create the higher dynamic range. I don't believe either processing has changed the story being conveyed with the photo. It has not had people added, removed to change what was happening on the day. I do not see white balance and tonal changes as 'cheating' in photo journalism.

As to whether it is worthy of the title bestowed on it, it certainly is a thought provoking, heart wrenching newsworthy photo and as such it's reach is extensive. It tells the story. A story that is relevant and part of the 'news' that reflects the scene as it happened. Your regular newspaper reader would most likely not care. But if the bodies of the children were edited in from a different scene/country etc, then it would deservedly need to be removed as the winner. As it is, it is one photo, one RAW file, that captured an event that was taking place.
    Last edited by ricktas; 17-05-2013 at 9:37am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk on the ABC radio this morning. Hope this really is the link .
    http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2...am=612_morning
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people have been so blinded by the fact that this image has been processed that they've even gone so far to state that it has ruined the emotion of the image
    I thought to myself, it would be such a shame to be such a post process skeptic that the mere thought that this image wasn't SOOC would ruin what would otherwise be a moving and emotional image.....I think there are times when you're better off to just 'look' and appreciate rather than 'looooook' to criticise or defame .
    Have you guys seen the more recent AIPP QLD debate about a disqualified image?
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    Talk on the ABC radio this morning. Hope this really is the link .
    http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2...am=612_morning
    link worked fine..thanks for posting it was a interesting conversation and seemed to me a common sense discussion

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    Some people have been so blinded by the fact that this image has been processed that they've even gone so far to state that it has ruined the emotion of the image
    I thought to myself, it would be such a shame to be such a post process skeptic that the mere thought that this image wasn't SOOC would ruin what would otherwise be a moving and emotional image.....I think there are times when you're better off to just 'look' and appreciate rather than 'looooook' to criticise or defame .
    Have you guys seen the more recent AIPP QLD debate about a disqualified image?
    no..could you elaborate ?
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 21-05-2013 at 11:39pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tommo, a candidate was disqualified because of 3 apparent breaches to the wedding section - this was publicised on facebook of all places.
    One of the criticisms was that the wedding shot was of 2 actors but it turns out that it was their actual wedding!
    AIPP QLD had to suddenly retract the slander included in that post and it turned into a huge explosion on FB. (the only rule which was breached in the end was the 24 month period for the photograph to have been taken within prior to comp entry for which the photographer accepted was his mistake)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an interesting question (what is ok and what isn't) and one that is difficult to apply hard and fast rules to. For many forms of photography, including press photography, the subject is 90% of the final product. In the case of the award winning photo, no amount of photographic genius is going to make a normal street scene better. If it did somehow look "better" it could only be done by "cheating". I remember a photograph that was disqualified a couple of years back (a photo of a Haiti slum, from memory) where the photographer changed the lighting to such an extent that the image no longer looked at all like the original. He made it seem much darker and more threatening. What was done was possibly no more than was done with this winning photo, but it was judged to be illegal. Why? Because he had changed the whole mood of the image intentionally. With the award winning photo the intent seemed to be to show the faces and not to change the mood. In the case of the disqualified photo the photographer had turned an ordinary Haiti slum into something much more - like something out of Gotham City.

Where you have rules like this, there will always be the black letter people who refuse to see any distinction and try to apply rules across the board. The wedding photo that you mention, Dylan, would presumably have been illegal had the actors not been getting married? The rules intention seems to be that it can't be a total setup. But where is the cutoff? The black letter people would just ban all actors on the grounds that it was too difficult to police if they didn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12