User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: what lens ? !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what lens ? !!

Hi all... as i do like taking pics landscape birds etc........ i also like doing astro pics ... i just aquired a new 7D i was thinking of getting a 17-85 f/4.0-5.6 is USM lens ! i will be using it for wide field night sky scenarious any suggestions as in what canon lens for getting more light in quick etc ?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if you want wide angle you need to go wider than 17mm. Look at something like the Sigma 10-20. If you want more light in, you need an f2.8 lens, but expect to pay a premium for that
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-05-2013 at 6:21pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm ic what about a lens that would do me proud as in it will do fairly wide ! and also let light in without going f/2.8 but also useable in normal as in landscape etc etc ?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The sigma 10-20 can take good nightscapes, landscapes and more. I used mine religiously till I upgraded to full frame sensor cameras (the 10-20 is only for crop sensor cameras). Then I got a Nikon 17-35 f2.8 and now I also have a Sigma 12-24 f4.5-5.6 which gets a fair bit of use as well. I took this and these with the sigma 12-24 (which you can use on a crop sensor body and full frame body). My winning entry here was taken with the Nikon 17-35.

Now I know you are going to be shooting Canon, but I wanted to show you what the Sigma's can do with the right person behind the camera. Certainly Canon offer some good lens choices, and you could go a wide lens that way too, but a pro level (f2.8) lens will have some advantages (focusing in low light being one of them), with a premium price point, but there is no reason a more consumer level lens, like the Siggy's cannot perform the job admirably. Especially with nightscapes you will most likely find you need to use manual focus anyway.
    Last edited by ricktas; 15-05-2013 at 7:29am.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seroiusly the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 at just over $500 is a pretty decent lens for the money.
    At f3.5 it's only a tad slower than the f2.8 but is way way cheaper.
    I had this lens with the Sony and loved it, was reluctant to let it go when I got the 5D.
    By all means, if you have plenty of dollars to splash on a UWA f2.8 then go for it.
    Last edited by CAP; 15-05-2013 at 8:54am.
    CC always welcome and appreciated.
    Tweaks welcome but please add how and why.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the fastest APS-C wide angle zoom lens, I reckon the Tokina 11-16/2.8 is the way to go.

I think, from memory, at f/2.8 it had very high IQ at the wide end.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Canon 10-22 lens, it's a great lens and it's great value at the moment with the $ the way it is, you would only be paying a tad more for it than a third party lens such as a Sigma.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm they all sound nice ,,, but i was wanting to spend either on a 2nd hand or new about 600$ but as i also like doing land scapes etc and also wanting to hook camera onto a Polaris star Tracker for night shots its hard to pick a lens for all occasions i inititally thought 17-85 f/4.0-5.6 is usm lens but i might even go for 17-135 hmm more imprtntly i need to learn how to use my new 7D lol as i love taking pics and freinds say i have a good eye for good shots etc,,, more im a novice really on how to get the best out of cameras , be great if some 1 lived out my way tht is talented on how to use cameras lenses etc love to have a chat 2 some 1 in regards to all tht

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IceDropsFromMars View Post
    hmm they all sound nice ,,, but i was wanting to spend either on a 2nd hand or new about 600$ but as i also like doing land scapes etc and also wanting to hook camera onto a Polaris star Tracker for night shots its hard to pick a lens for all occasions i inititally thought 17-85 f/4.0-5.6 is usm lens but i might even go for 17-135 hmm more imprtntly i need to learn how to use my new 7D lol as i love taking pics and freinds say i have a good eye for good shots etc,,, more im a novice really on how to get the best out of cameras , be great if some 1 lived out my way tht is talented on how to use cameras lenses etc love to have a chat 2 some 1 in regards to all tht
    Hope we get to see some of those photos in the CC forums soon then. There are plenty of AP members in Sydney and they have a few member meets each year (check the AP member meets forum for NSW).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what you described, I'd definitely be going for the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8.

Not too expensive, and you can easily pick them up used, and not only is it an F2.8 at the wide end, but the colours and contrast are excellent.
    Don't worry too much about focusing with a UWA, just set it a bit shorter than infinity and virtually everything will be in focus anyway, especially if it is stopped down a bit.

The best thing about the Tokina, unlike most other APS-C UWA's, is that it will work on a full frame camera if you zoom it at 15mm or more, and that makes a VERY wide angle on a FF camera.
    I use mine on my 5D3 al the time and the results are great.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmn...

Spanner for the works:

Sigma 35mm f:1.4 - Fantastic all rounder
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DON'T even consider the Canon 17-85. It has a design fault which results in the failure of a ribbon cable. I've got one and had it repaired twice. Google this lens and "focus hunting" and you'll find plenty of examples. The 17-85 has since been replaced by the 15-85 which I would highly recommend.

If you are after an UWA lens, I am about to pick up a new Canon Aus stock 10-22 from a B&M store in Brisbane for $685, which is cheaper than some grey sellers, and about 10% more than grey stock from DDP.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3