User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Restrictions on stocking lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Restrictions on stocking lenses

I was in the local JB store recently and asked the sales assistant why the only Canon lens that they sell separately is the 50mm 1.8. He replied that since there was a Camerahouse in town then that was all that they were allowed to stock as apart from that Camerahouse had exclusive rights to stock the other Canon lenses in the local area.

Has anyone else come across this before and knows whether it is correct? Would seem very anti-competitive if it is correct with Camerahouse being the only winner especially since they would not have to price match if nobody else is allowed to carry the stock.

I didn't check whether this also applied to Nikon or any other brands but it would seem to add to the argument for considering buying grey.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Both Canon and Nikon have authorised resellers. Just like car yards have brands they sell and the local competitors generally cannot sell those brands. If you want a new Toyota, you need to go to the Toyota dealer in your area, not the Holden dealership.

My guess is that JB are not authorised resellers, they just get the stock in and sell it anyway. JB until recently also had an option to buy grey stock from them at cheaper prices, doing so would not endear them to Canon/Nikon Australia at all.

It is not about being anti-competitive. Anti-competitive is about price, not availability.
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-05-2013 at 8:19am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well explained Rick

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wynny View Post
    I was in the local JB store recently and asked the sales assistant why the only Canon lens that they sell separately is the 50mm 1.8. He replied that since there was a Camerahouse in town then that was all that they were allowed to stock as apart from that Camerahouse had exclusive rights to stock the other Canon lenses in the local area.

Has anyone else come across this before and knows whether it is correct? Would seem very anti-competitive if it is correct with Camerahouse being the only winner especially since they would not have to price match if nobody else is allowed to carry the stock.

I didn't check whether this also applied to Nikon or any other brands but it would seem to add to the argument for considering buying grey.
    Also, don't be fooled into thinking it was Canon who prevented JB from stocking them, but the higher management of JB. My understanding is with JBs, the individual stores don't get much say in inventory. Inventory Management is handled electronically and pushed to them. The store manager probably would NOT be able to tell you whats supposed to be in his/her next delivery. Basically, JB head office may have made the decision to NOT stock the other lenses due to slow turnover (camera accessories not their core business)
    Last edited by aussieray; 14-05-2013 at 8:15am.
    Ray
    60D 5Diii

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....maybe just a lazy sales guy, i purchased a new 24-105L from jb AND they where happy to drop the price from a ridiculous $1750 to $890 to price match . if you ask they will get it in im sure
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can only imagine what it cost them and there profit margins

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulheath View Post
    ...., i purchased a new 24-105L from jb AND they where happy to drop the price from a ridiculous $1750 to $890 to price match .
    Out of interest, who were they price matching?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies. I guess it is must just be one of the frustrations of living in a regional area where the only non-Camerahouse authorised resellers are hours away.

Just an aside when I read the above comment about the 24-105L price matching I checked the JB website and they advertise the lens for about $150 more than the Camerahouse site.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Out of interest, who were they price matching?
    believe it or not DDP who actually have that lens at $854 they said they would price match plus delivery ( even though i was holding the lens in my hand lol) but as the shipping is free ... thats what they charged me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So they price matched a grey price?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
    So they price matched a grey price?
    DDP only sell grey items to start with

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    DDP only sell grey items to start with
    That's what I mean did the match a grey price.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes they did, and who am i to argue with that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wouldnt be at all. Well done.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    My guess is that JB are not authorised resellers
    ^ Nailed it.

Canon (like most camera manufacturers) have several levels of reseller. Anyone can resell the common stuff (things like an entry-level body and a cheap kit lens) with or without a relationship with Canon; at the next level you can resell all the standard stuff including high-end semi-pro gear like a 24-104 f/4L, a 5D III, or a top-quality flash; but only as a registered Canon Professional Dealer can you resell things like 1 Series bodies.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.