Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A FUN competition idea

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A FUN competition idea

There has been some discussion of late about competitions, what makes a good entry, how members can sometimes work out who entered what based on the photographer's style.

So the mods and I have been chatting about this today and have come up with an idea and we want to know if you like it.

We would start a special competition that members could enter just like any other competition. However this competition would never go to a voting round where you rate the entries

Rather we would take all the entries, put them in a thread, give you a list of the members names who had entered and ask you to sort the members names into a list so that it matched the order of the entries. We would want you to try and work out which member took which photo.

We think the outcome could be very enlightening.

Would you enjoy joining in on this? We want to know what you think.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick,

I would like to see a slightly different competition thread, One where voting requires a justification. For example in the recent wind theme I saw a number of entries where wind was not the main subject. Sure they were all great entries but not in theme. It would be really good to have to justify your marking I think the mods and the rest of us could learn a lot from that. For example a bird theme, a score of 8 would have to be justified, good focus on the bird, great framing and detail etc. A score of 4 would be because there was no bird even though the photo of a great seascape was great. I for one try and keep to the competition even though I don't enter all of them I always try to shoot something for that week something new rather than re-cycling old photos just because it is easy. I'd even be willing to collate the results and summarise the comments.

Kind Regards
    Livio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Rick....
    I like the idea. Although looking through the names of those who entered after the comp had finished. Some of the names I have never seen in a CC thread... There are some who only enter the comps.
    Good idea.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great idea Rick.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a fantastic idea Rick, that will get the brains working..

Geoff I am also amazed at how many Members only enter comps also..
    My 52/2011 Challenge

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    What a fantastic idea Rick, that will get the brains working..

Geoff I am also amazed at how many Members only enter comps also..
    If they enter comps and not join in on the site they get a friendly notice (automated) when it is 15 days since they posted to the forums, when it gets to 30 days and a comp entry and no forum posts, they get warned that they will lose access to the competitions, through another automatic PM . If that does not trigger them to participate, then I send them a PM, and depending on their response, I act accordingly.

If you notice someone that concerns you in this regard, PM me with details and I will look into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love it, bring it on.

It would rely on the entrants posting in their "normal" style rather than doing something from left field.
    Mark

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant mongo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honest opinion .......... it is a good idea Rick because it is novel and interesting. However, Mongo thinks it will only be good for about two rounds and interest will be spent by the third time if it is intended as a regular thing. So, please do it - we can enjoy it for a while at least. The reality is that most regulars' "style" on AP, is often easy to pick. It is often as unique as a signature. Ergo, some of the dilemmas surrounding anonymity for competition generally.
    Last edited by mongo; 09-05-2013 at 8:17pm.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Honest opinion .......... it is a good idea Rick because it is novel and interesting. However, Mongo thinks it will only be good for about two rounds and interest will be spent by the third time if it is intended as a regular thing. So, please do it - we can enjoy it for a while at least. The reality is that most regulars' "style" on AP, is often easy to pick. It is often as unique as a signature. Ergo, some of the dilemmas surrounding anonymity for competition generally.
    We did not consider it being a regular thing, just a one-off to make people think a bit about their entries, voting, how a style can be identifiable etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea...............a bit like the good old guess who the baby photo is competitions that used to be popular in my workplace years ago! A bit of fun i say go for it!
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea. Something different. Toss it in every so often. I should do well. "Thats a shot of very flat country must be Geoff Port"
    EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea Rick, after looking at the names on some of the entries after the weekly comp has finished I think it would be a big challenge.
    Regards
    Wayne

CC Always welcome as its a great way of Learning

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livio View Post
    Hi Rick,

I would like to see a slightly different competition thread, One where voting requires a justification. For example in the recent wind theme I saw a number of entries where wind was not the main subject. Sure they were all great entries but not in theme. It would be really good to have to justify your marking I think the mods and the rest of us could learn a lot from that. For example a bird theme, a score of 8 would have to be justified, good focus on the bird, great framing and detail etc. A score of 4 would be because there was no bird even though the photo of a great seascape was great. I for one try and keep to the competition even though I don't enter all of them I always try to shoot something for that week something new rather than re-cycling old photos just because it is easy. I'd even be willing to collate the results and summarise the comments.

Kind Regards
    Livio
    To do this we would need to re-write/add-to the competition software to add a text box next to each entry for member comments.These comments would need to be appended to the competition entry database and then the software altered again to allow them to be displayed at end of voting. Certainly it could be done, but it is not something we have on the agenda at present. However, thanks for the suggestion.
    Last edited by ricktas; 10-05-2013 at 7:18am.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    To do this we would need to re-write/add-to the competition software to add a text box next to each entry for member comments.These comments would need to be appended to the competition entry database and then the software altered again to allow them to be displayed at end of voting. Certainly it could be done, but it is not something we have on the agenda at present. However, thanks for the suggestion.
    And I'd make that comp optional.
    It would like judges feedback at a club comp, expect from every voter.
    I'd assume the comments would only be available after the comp finished.

Not a big change really, I'll give it some thought.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    but it is not something we have on the agenda at present.
    OK so it might be on the agenda now...

Sir Rattus79 - The Proclaimant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it, I reckon it'd be a bit of fun. Bring it on, I'll get Nik Color FX warmed up in the mean time!
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Sunrise Chaser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea guy's I better go out and get a Sunset now
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Good idea guy's I better go out and get a Sunset now
    or a barbie on a bike!

Sunrise Chaser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh you noticed I dont generally stick to the same genre , You know I'm gunna post one that no one will guess is me As you said Rick it will be fun

PS : Maybe the processing will give me away
    Last edited by William; 10-05-2013 at 10:14am.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm maybe I'll do an over processed landscape

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast