Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: raw files from 5d mk iii

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktoopi View Post
    .... When I down load the photos I don't have a choice about how many i am downloading bridge downloads everything on the memeory card. i have roughly 200 photos on the card.
    Another thing I noticed briefly when looking at the trees in the woods was someone said transfer to computer via EOS Utility which is part of the Canon stuff you installed. It basically allows you to transfer and set info between your computer and camera.
    Think you can set up EOS Utility to transfer photos to your preferred software with one click when connecting the camera to the computer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How old is your computer, how much RAM memory does it have and is it a laptop..

I was going to suggest you use a different USB port on your pc to plug in the camera. They're not all the same.

I don't know where any of my camera data transfer cables are. I've never used them.

I've recently upgraded to a newer Sandisk brand USB v3.0 card reader and even on my Vista machine (4Gb RAM) with USB v2.0 ports, the transfers seem to go a bit faster. However, I use 16GB Sandisk Extreme cards and notice that if I select all the files on the card and do a copy and paste to a folder on the PC or to a USB external drive, every now and then I get a message that says "device not responding" but it eventually recovers and carries on.

I put this down to a memory or buffer problem in the laptop or maybe even a USB driver problem.

If it was mine, to prove the issue, I'd take the 5DIII and cable and try to download the card files using the camera and someone else's pc, if you are able to get access to another pc.
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...... The message that I get is along the lines of 'computer not being able to connect with the device'

OK, so it's definitely an issue or incompatibility between the PC and the 5D.

Could be one of many things, so there's no need to blame Windows yet .. as flash said, could simply be that USB port(or ports) or could be the brand of USB chipset/driver.

Have you tried connecting the camera's USB cable to other ports on the PC, including the USB3 ports?

Do you have lots of other devices connected to the other USB ports?
    Sometimes if you have too many devices connected that draw a lot of power, the last connected device can be problematic(long shot, but possible).

USB ports come in clusters. There will be a small group at one end of the motherboard, and there may be a few at another point, and there will also be a small connector to allow USB ports on a PC case to be connected easily too.
    If you haven't already tried using a USB3 port to connect the 5D, give that a go too.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flashc View Post
    If it was mine, to prove the issue, I'd take the 5DIII and cable and try to download the card files using the camera and someone else's pc, if you are able to get access to another pc.
    Do as suggested. You need to prove the issue is with the camera or the PC instead of trying shots in the dark. And BTW, Bridge DOES let you choose which files to download. There's an "uncheck all" box, and then just check the ones you want.
    Last edited by Warbler; 16-05-2013 at 6:31am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Another thing I noticed briefly when looking at the trees in the woods was someone said transfer to computer via EOS Utility which is part of the Canon stuff you installed. It basically allows you to transfer and set info between your computer and camera.
    Think you can set up EOS Utility to transfer photos to your preferred software with one click when connecting the camera to the computer.
    Thanks for pointing that out MarkL I must have missed that bit of info.....as i haven't used any of canons software in the past i don't know what it can do

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Do as suggested. You need to prove the issue is with the camera or the PC instead of trying shots in the dark. And BTW, Bridge DOES let you choose which files to download. There's an "uncheck all" box, and then just check the ones you want.
    Thanks Warbler.....there you go, I never knew that!!
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    OK, so it's definitely an issue or incompatibility between the PC and the 5D.

Could be one of many things, so there's no need to blame Windows yet .. as flash said, could simply be that USB port(or ports) or could be the brand of USB chipset/driver.

Have you tried connecting the camera's USB cable to other ports on the PC, including the USB3 ports?

Do you have lots of other devices connected to the other USB ports?
    Sometimes if you have too many devices connected that draw a lot of power, the last connected device can be problematic(long shot, but possible).

USB ports come in clusters. There will be a small group at one end of the motherboard, and there may be a few at another point, and there will also be a small connector to allow USB ports on a PC case to be connected easily too.
    If you haven't already tried using a USB3 port to connect the 5D, give that a go too.

Hi Aurthurking
    I haven't actually thought of trying different USB ports....I will do that and I will plug it into one of the usb 3 ports and see if that helps.
    Karen

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by flashc View Post
    How old is your computer, how much RAM memory does it have and is it a laptop..

I was going to suggest you use a different USB port on your pc to plug in the camera. They're not all the same.

I don't know where any of my camera data transfer cables are. I've never used them.

I've recently upgraded to a newer Sandisk brand USB v3.0 card reader and even on my Vista machine (4Gb RAM) with USB v2.0 ports, the transfers seem to go a bit faster. However, I use 16GB Sandisk Extreme cards and notice that if I select all the files on the card and do a copy and paste to a folder on the PC or to a USB external drive, every now and then I get a message that says "device not responding" but it eventually recovers and carries on.

I put this down to a memory or buffer problem in the laptop or maybe even a USB driver problem.

Hi Flashc
    My computer is two years old...has 8G ram runs windows 7 and is a desktop system ...............However.....i do have a laptop as well that is only 6 months old i am typing this message on it right now!!! i will load photoshop onto it and try downloading onto this laptop and see if it works I generallly use my laptop for surfing the net emails shopping etc etc and my pc desktop is purely for photoediting

Thanks for your advice Karen

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the windows update problem had been fixed but.........it has not!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Do as suggested. You need to prove the issue is with the camera or the PC instead of trying shots in the dark. ....
    At the moment, if there is a problem with any of the devices, it's more likely to be the 5D, as Karen has already said she can transfer the files from the card if she uses the 7D to do the transfer .. just not with the 5D.

So the problem is either the 5D, or more likely a driver issue with Windows/USB chip in connecting to the 5D.

So far as I can understand tho, is that Karen has said that the 5D does successfully connect as a device in Windows, so at least it does connect .. now it's time to determine if the USB driver is causing the problem.

Connecting to a USB3 port will use a different driver/chipset for sure, and as we don't know which USB2 ports use which chipsets on the motherboard, the best way forward for now, to determine where the problem lies, is with connecting via the USB3 ports.

@ Karen:
    When you connect the 5D to the PC, Windows should automagically produce a notification that the 5D has been connected.
    The actual notification is a bit strange in the way it can work.
    On my Win7 PC, it doesn't actually open a window directly, just a small notification in the task bar(I actually prefer this to an annoying window too).
    If you click the icon in the task bar, it then opens a window which gives you various options for communication to the 5D.
    Do you see this notification and pop up window, and if so have you tried connecting/transferring with these recommendations.

The options you may see arecould be differently set up for respective PCs tho)

Manage media on your device
    Browse files
    Import Pictures and Video(here you can also which program is the default for transferring your images)
    Change general settings(here about the only useful option is to tick/untick the notification for when the device is connected)

Also in the window(which is basically a Windows Explorer window) it shows you the battery level and the total amount of storage on the device.
    If you have two card slots and both have cards inserted, it will show the total amount of space for both cards combined. If you click the storage icon, it will then take you to another window where it shows each individual card's space availability.

Do you see any of this when you connect the 5D(and turn it on obviously).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Arthur, if the same card reads out of the 7D, but not out of the 5D, then Karen has proved the fault not to be in the computer. I didn't read it that way, so my apologies. If the problem is with the 5D, then I'd try blowing out the slot with a rocket blower. It's a very odd problem if the camera still writes uncorrupted images to the card but won't allow a read via the USB connection. She's tried another USB cable so that is not the issue. I'd be sending it back to Canon under warranty right now if blowing out the SD slot didn't fix it. No beed to stuff around any further with software or drivers.

BTW, if you have a 6 month old laptop, then have a look under the front of it. You might find an SD card slot built into it.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing BTW. I believe the Canon 7D only uses CF cards, so Karen could NOT have got her SD card to download in the 7D Arthur. Therefore she has still not proven the fault to be in the camera.
    Last edited by Warbler; 17-05-2013 at 12:32am.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took out the sd card and put it back in then tried again. This time more photos downloaded but still not the whole lot. Could the card be corrupted?
    ...the memory card in question is a brand new sandisk 16G extreme pro SD card...
    From the above quotes, I'd say Karen is having a problem with an SD card. She could not have tried this card in her 7D. They just don't accept SD Cards. Plug the 5D mkIII into another computer and try that. Put the SD Card into a reader and try that. It's not that hard folks!
    Last edited by Warbler; 17-05-2013 at 8:30am.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used my new camera on the weekend and put an old cf card in it and took a load of photos shooting in raw......I was not able to get these photos onto the computer while they were in the 5 diii but I took the cf card out of the 5diii and put it in my 7d and had no trouble downloading them to my computer.....the 7d also had no trouble reading or recognising 5diii files on the memory card.

Seems like the CF card is also causing issues on the 5D, but works on the 7D.

All points made so far look like they lead to the 5D being the problem. But this doesn't necessarily mean that the 5D isn't working properly.
    It could simply be a chip incompatibility between the 5D's USB chip and the PC's USB chipset.

Only way to work that out cheaply is to connect the 5D to another PC and see if it works.
    Also, connecting the 5D to another USB port(that uses a different chipset) will also determine if the respective chipsets are just not communicating properly.

This is not that uncommon to have incompatible USB devices. It's not the devices themselves, it's the chipset's drivers that cause the issue.
    I have a USB3 hard drive dock that doesn't work on the USB3 ports, but works perfectly on the USB2 ports.

As also said, could be a USB port issue on the 5D .. dirt or dust or simply a bung connection.

Firstly I'd get the USB3 card reader and hopefully this will transfer all files off the 5D's cards without issue, just like the 7D did.
    Once that is successfully done, the next step would be to get the 5D back to the retailer to check if there is a USB port connection problem, and get it rectified if there is a problem.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok everyone I have established that it is not a fault with the camera or the memory cards ..........I just connected my 5diii camera to my laptop via the usb 3 port with the SD card in it and the photos all downloaded no problem at all...... so the issue ovbiously lies with my photo editing computer somewhere. The only problem now, is that the version of ACR that I have on my laptop doesn't read files from the 5diiiI couldn't see the actual photos but I counted the CR files and they are all there. Now I will have to go and download ACR update 6.1 for CS5 and on and on the story goes! At least I can get my photos off the sd card.....and now to work out what the hell is wrong with my computer!! A good friend of my husband who works in IT has offered to remotely access my computer and try and sort out all of its issues including the windows software update problem..............which by the way I have now noticed is happening on my laptop as well.....no software updates since last year when I got the damn thing. The error message I get when trying to update windows relates to my internet security and firewall etc....as I have the same software on both computers (AVAST)I assume that is the problem. Although I did turn off all the security on my editing computer when I was trying to get updates earlier in the week!

I just want to say a big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to try and help me out with this very frustrating problem......I was starting to get a bit stressed thinking that there might possibly be something wrong with the camera! I read and followed all the bits of advice that I have been given and although i haven't solved the actual problem of whats wrong with my computer yet......at least I was able to establish that the computer was the problem and I was able to retrieve all my photos thanks to my fellow Aper's

Thanks again Karen
    Ps I will keep you posted as to what was wrong with the computer.........not sure when my husbands friend can work on it....hopefully soon!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    At the moment, if there is a problem with any of the devices, it's more likely to be the 5D, as Karen has already said she can transfer the files from the card if she uses the 7D to do the transfer .. just not with the 5D.

So the problem is either the 5D, or more likely a driver issue with Windows/USB chip in connecting to the 5D.

So far as I can understand tho, is that Karen has said that the 5D does successfully connect as a device in Windows, so at least it does connect .. now it's time to determine if the USB driver is causing the problem.

Connecting to a USB3 port will use a different driver/chipset for sure, and as we don't know which USB2 ports use which chipsets on the motherboard, the best way forward for now, to determine where the problem lies, is with connecting via the USB3 ports.

@ Karen:
    When you connect the 5D to the PC, Windows should automagically produce a notification that the 5D has been connected.
    The actual notification is a bit strange in the way it can work.
    On my Win7 PC, it doesn't actually open a window directly, just a small notification in the task bar(I actually prefer this to an annoying window too).
    If you click the icon in the task bar, it then opens a window which gives you various options for communication to the 5D.
    Do you see this notification and pop up window, and if so have you tried connecting/transferring with these recommendations.

The options you may see arecould be differently set up for respective PCs tho)

Manage media on your device
    Browse files
    Import Pictures and Video(here you can also which program is the default for transferring your images)
    Change general settings(here about the only useful option is to tick/untick the notification for when the device is connected)

Also in the window(which is basically a Windows Explorer window) it shows you the battery level and the total amount of storage on the device.
    If you have two card slots and both have cards inserted, it will show the total amount of space for both cards combined. If you click the storage icon, it will then take you to another window where it shows each individual card's space availability.

Do you see any of this when you connect the 5D(and turn it on obviously).
    Hey Arthurking83

When I connect the camera to my editing computer I get all of the above that you mentioned as my photos start to download normally....but after two or three it stops and can't connect to the device anymore.
    Karen

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I connect the camera to my editing computer I get all of the above that you mentioned as my photos start to download normally....but after two or three it stops and can't connect to the device anymore.
    Karen
    Aha!

OK, so .. technically I don't think there's anything wrong with your editing PC.

My suspicions tell me that it's the USB port that you are using on the PC .. which all point back to the USB chipset on the PC's motherboard.

There is a very high likelyhood that you have (say) 6 or 8 USB slots on the PC in total. If there are any front facing ports on the PC's case, these will be connected to a small connection on the motherboard, via a cable(99.9% probability).

The rear USB ports are usually clustered into two, sometimes more, groups. They generally use a different chipset for each grouping.
    Some options to rectify this are:
    * uninstall and re install each USB host controller driver (tedious)
    * connect the camera to one of each of the USB ports and see which one has the camera connected to as a device.

If you connect the camera to one USB port and find it listed as a device, if this USB port is causing issues, then mark that one down as a port NOT to use again!

Try another port and see if the camera connect there and repeat the process.

(FWIW) my HDD docking station had exactly the same issue with transferring data as you describe for your 5D. It would transfer a totally random amount of data .. sometimes 100Meg, other times 500Meg and then just stop dead and Windows would report that the device was disconnected. From that point I could do anything with the docking station. Docking station is basically like an external hard drive, but you can take the actual hard disk out of the dock .. and then insert another very conveniently.
    The problem turns out that the USB chip in the docking station is a dud(massive dud) and won't work correctly on my USB3 system. it works perfectly on the USB2 system tho.

SO to find which of your USB ports are which, go to Device Manager(rightclick My Computer->Properties->Device Manager).
    Scroll down till you see the list of USB controllers and hubs.

Each hub and each controller will list your device.
    Right click each of the listings there until you find the camera marked in the Advanced section of the right click properties box.

See like this:

Device manager_D800E.jpg

I simply went down the list of the USB controllers and rightclicked to open the small window, and in that window, chose the Advanced tab. D800 is listed there in the devices.
    With the camera connected to this port, I now know that if I wanted to update the driver, I know which one to update.
    Sometimes you can forcefully update the USB driver to another version, even tho if you do the automatic driver update, Windows will always tell you that the installed driver you have is the best!

Only problem with this is trying to find a better driver for the USB controller .. that is working out what the actual chipset is.

You could try your motherboards website to see if they have updated drivers for the motherboard.

Or, like I said, with that window still open, you could try each individual USB port and see where the camera shows up on each connection.
    What you will be trying to do is to determine, does the camera work at all on any of the USB ports/controllers.
    You could connect it to any port anywhere on the PC, and find that it's connected to the same controller/hub as the one you know DOESN'T work. CHances are very high that it also won't work on that USB port too.

If you have the same issue on every USB port on the PC, then the chances are that there's definitely something wrong with your Windows installation with respect to the 5D.

Note how the USB3 chipset is clearly marked out as such in my Device manager list.
    This is why I earlier said to try to connect the 5D to a USB3 port on your PC. USB3 and USB2 are totally different chipsets on your PC, so connecting to a USB3 port will definitely use a different chipset.
    The problem with USB2 ports is that you don't know which one is connected to which chipset.

Something that could be the actual problem with your 5D connection is the power draw on that port.

You will find this in the Root Hub information. If you rightclick each of the Root Hub listings you will see a tab labelled Power. At idle the camera should use very little power. Each Root Hub has about 500mA of power available to it, if the camera draws too much power, the PC will drop the connection to it.
    If there is a problem with that USB hub .. same thing will happen.

if you can work out what brand and model of motherboard you have in your PC, I'm sure someone will help you with any updated drivers if this can help you eliminate potential problems.

Note that with my USB3 issue for my HDD dock, I never got the problem resolved. My USB3 system is operating perfectly except for this one device. Took me over 2 months of trying to nut the issue out with driver updates, and firmware updates on the dock itself .. all to no avail.
    It has nothing to do with Windows itself, and is simply a problem with the USB chip in the dock ... so I resigned myself to the fact that it will only ever be used in USB2 mode.
    All my other USB3 devices, including the D800, work as expected .. fast!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi arthurking83 I will have a go at this as soon as i get a chance!

Thanks karen

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all I just thought i'd give you all an update on this situation since so many people took the time to try and help me

I still cannot figure out why the 5diii does not communicate with the computer. I have tried all the suggestions mentioned in this thread. I now have a USB 3 card reader and am able to retrieve all files from all memory cards no problems! So problem hasn't really been solved but I have gottten around it

I am still trying to work out the problem but it may take me a while.......Thanks again to everyone who tried to help me

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TA. Let us know when you do. Intriguing that such modern equipment should do that!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    H..... So problem hasn't really been solved but I have gottten around it

The main problem has been resolved(in getting the files off the card), and in general this is the way I prefer to do it myself too.

As for why the PC and camera don't communicate properly, is a strange one .. and in reality not all that important unless you want to work in a tethered mode.

The fact that it connects and transfers OK for a short time, to me, suggests either a power issue on the USB hub .... or a USB driver issue(on your desktop).

I dunno about the 5D, but the D800(my camera choice) has a USB3 connection, but is not as quick to transfer from card to PC as is the dedicated USB3 card reader.
    It's not a huge difference in speed, but a difference nonetheless.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had similar problems with downloading photos from my 7D to my new laptop using a card reader, it would download some then stop, you could gradually download them but it would take ages then after windows finished installing updates every time I turned it on and off I installed the 7D software and had no further problems. I use a Lexar USB3 reader and while it is very fast on my desktop with USB3 it is also much faster on my laptops USB2 than my old USB2 reader.
    Cheers
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 05-06-2013 at 11:18pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I had similar problems with downloading photos from my 7D to my new laptop using a card reader, it would download some then stop, .....
    The difference here is that Karen is having trouble downloading files when connecting the 5D to the PC directly. She has just posted saying that part of the problem is solved in that using a card reader there is no issue with getting the files off the card.

The question is; why is the connection between the 5DIII and the PC dropping out after a short time.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you believe it!!!!!! The plot thickens.......where my 5diii files once transferred to my laptop no problems(all the issues above were on my editing pc downstairs) now my laptop won't recognise raw files from 5diii not even when I put the CF card in my 7d!!!!!!! Go figureI think I am jinxed! Although not the only one with these issues.....online I have found that many, many people are having the same problem but there are no clear answers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast