Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  37
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: raw files from 5d mk iii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    had same problem but then installed canon software and "voila" all good!!!
    seems that the software that you are using is not compatible with the MK111
    also after I installed the canon software windows pictures worked as well, now have JPEG files and Raw files in windows picture gallery side by side
    Off to Turkey in 12 days travelling to Beijing by overlander truck for the next 14 weeks
    so have all software up to date
    Bob

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with the ACR/Bridge theory, is that Karen is having the same issue with Windows Explorer too.

The camera should come up in Win7 as a multimedia device of some sort, so device drivers for the direct transfer of the files from camera shouldn't be an issue either.

With the camera plugged into the PC, check the Devices window to see if it comes up correctly as a Canon 5D ... etc, etc.

The other thing with deleting files, especially if they have taken up a lot of room, is did you Shift+Delete or just Delete.

if you just delete, they may be sitting in the recycle bin .. taking up room (you thought is supposedly empty)!

Shift+Del removes them completely. Do this with care tho, as once you delete them this way, they can (almost) be gone forever.
    You can recover files deleted in this Shift+Del manner tho .. but you don't want to make a habit of doing it this way.

Empty the recycle bin just in case .. there could be a multitude of Gigabytes worth of data in there too.

I've had similar issues of only being able to download one or two files at a time .. not realising at the time that my (250G) drive was 99% full!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget the 7 plagues of Egypt. This is a modern pestilence.
    Am(en).
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventureoverland View Post

Out of interest, does the Supplied Canon Software work/transfer correctly?
    I strongly suggest you do a full install of the canon solutions disk. The 5D3 is very specific about the drivers it uses.
    ...... I'd suggest you install the canon software .....
    This is certainly worth a try.
    Try downloading via canons Zoombrowser EX once, than see what happens with what you usually do.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Yes, but you'd have to do a disk defragmentation - or two! - to rearrange that freed up space into more contiguous blocks.

Anyway, have you got another computer to try the downloads on? At least try to isolate the cause of the problem.
    Am (wondering about it).
    Did That!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

Empty the recycle bin just in case .. there could be a multitude of Gigabytes worth of data in there too.

I've had similar issues of only being able to download one or two files at a time .. not realising at the time that my (250G) drive was 99% full!
    I had emptied the recycle bin!

- - - Updated - - -

Forget the 7 plagues of Egypt. This is a modern pestilence.
    Am(en).
    yes it is and it's driving me nuts!!
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok everyone.....despite all of your helpful advice I am still unable to retrieve the data from the sd card. On the weekend i tried using an old CF card in the new camera that i have used in my old camera many times without a problem and recieved the same message. The first few files down load then it stops and can't retrieve any more. I took the cf card out of my new camera and put it into my old one and the pics downloaded no problem at all.

I checked my windows updates and discovered that windows has not been updated in 12 months!!!! I thought this was happening automatically but apparently not. I tried to install updates and it failed every time. went through the help process and followed all instructions but still not able to get any updates. Do you think this is the cause of my woes?? Will buy a card reader and see if this helps and will also install Canon software and see if this helps . After these options have been expplored i am at a complete loss if they don't work!

Cheers Karen

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A card reader should work. After all, they are just files. Windows shouldn't care what they have in them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karen,

I wouldn't waste money on a card reader!

The fact you can't install windows updates is a sign that something isn't right with the computer.

Firstly, install the canon software. If it will install that will probably solve your camera/card reading issues.

Then id suggest you try to do the windows updates again. The canon software may allow windows updates to go beyond the point it currently fails, assuming it does, great.

If the canon software won't install either then I suspect you need to fix the underlying windows issue first. All these things are linked together.

Sorry can't be much more specific.

Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    A card reader should work. After all, they are just files. Windows shouldn't care what they have in them.
    Agree it should work IF the USB transport protocol isnt stuffed - there is something more fundementally wrong with the PC than a simple a 5D3 driver - Windows Update wont install the updates. A corrupt driver could cause this behaviour, installing the Canon software will overwrite some files and not just install a 5D3 driver and may allow the windows updates to install correctly.

Whilst a card reader may allow the images to be read from the card, it will not fix the underlying issue.

Jon

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karen,

I wouldn't waste money on a card reader!

The fact you can't install windows updates is a sign that something isn't right with the computer.

Firstly, install the canon software. If it will install that will probably solve your camera/card reading issues.

Then id suggest you try to do the windows updates again. The canon software may allow windows updates to go beyond the point it currently fails, assuming it does, great.

If the canon software won't install either then I suspect you need to fix the underlying windows issue first. All these things are linked together.

Sorry can't be much more specific.

Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

- - - Updated - - -

Agree it should work IF the USB transport protocol isnt stuffed - there is something more fundementally wrong with the PC than a simple a 5D3 driver - Windows Update wont install the updates. A corrupt driver could cause this behaviour, installing the Canon software will overwrite some files and not just install a 5D3 driver and may allow the windows updates to install correctly.

Whilst a card reader may allow the images to be read from the card, it will not fix the underlying issue.

Jon

Thanks Jon I will give the above a go instead of getting a card reader.....I agree with you there seems to be an underlying problem and i suspect it is all linked back to not being able to get windows updates! Once again thank you for your advice it is most appreciated

Karen

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Failed Windows updates don't necessarily mean a problem with your PC.

After 12months of non updates, there could be an issue with the PC trying to do too many updates, and or the updating may be slightly out of sync, or updates may need a reboot before they can be successfully installed but other updates may be interfering in this process.

Problem updates can be something like graphics drivers, or mouse keyboard drivers or whatever.

On the machines I've set to update regularly(because they get regularly used, there isn't usually an issue. But if there is, then it's usually because of clashing updates, and the major one I notice is M$'s Wireless keyboard/mouse software updates.
    Sometimes Office updates also cause issues.

Something to try with updating is to do them in smaller job lots.

That is, if you have say 20-30 updates listed, untick most, and only do say 5 or 10 in one go, then restart the PC and do the next lot.
    If you have a list of optional updates that you may also want, do them as the last batch.
    Look at each update's file size too .. some of the updates can be over 200M and can cause issues. These are usually graphics drivers or service packs.

I get this issue when I turn on a PC that hasn't been updated for some time too.

I don't think this is causing your download issues, as you already said, old files on the CF card are working.

So if I read this properly, you can get the files from your old card on the old camera successfully, but not the files from the 5DIII? But you can use the card in either camera?

If this is so, and you can get the CF into either camera, then try this:
    take images with the CF card in the 5DIII, and then place the CF card into the old camera.
    The old camera may not recognise the 5D files, but this is of no importance. Does Windows recognise that they are on the card(on the old camera) and does it transfer them onto the PC.

If this is possible, then you know that the files are the issue, and that the 5D is the issue.
    Hopefully installing the latest version of Canon's software will help, or that using a card reader will solve the issue.

If you have a PC with USB3 capability, I'd recommend getting a USB3 card reader. As files get larger in size, they obviously take longer to transfer.
    USB3 ports are coloured blue.
    USB3 is about 3x faster in transfer rates than the old USB2 system ... sometimes faster.

I did this with my D800(with its 75Mb files) .. and the difference(in speed, hence reduced time) in getting 200 images off the card and onto the PC is worth the cost of the USB3 card reader.
    If your PC is still only using USB2 ports, then the card reader may be a wasted effort for now.

For now, concentrate on getting your PC updated tho ... there may be vulnerabilities that may cause you more important grief.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktoopi View Post
    Ok everyone.....despite all of your helpful advice I am still unable to retrieve the data from the sd card. On the weekend i tried using an old CF card in the new camera that i have used in my old camera many times without a problem and recieved the same message. The first few files down load then it stops and can't retrieve any more. I took the cf card out of my new camera and put it into my old one and the pics downloaded no problem at all.

Suggests a problem with the new camera having trouble talking with you computer (regardless of anything else going on with Windows).

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A card reader is a good idea irrespective of any other issues. They are quite cheap - about $30 from memory and are a lot faster than most cameras and they don't fail due to strange software problems.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Arthurking83

thanks for your advice....when I check for updates for windows it says there are 9 updates but none of them download.

I used my new camera on the weekend and put an old cf card in it and took a load of photos shooting in raw......I was not able to get these photos onto the computer while they were in the 5 diii but I took the cf card out of the 5diii and put it in my 7d and had no trouble downloading them to my computer.....the 7d also had no trouble reading or recognising 5diii files on the memory card.

My PC does have USB 3, three of them in fact so maybe a card reader is a quick fix and installing the canon software that came with my camera will fix also. As soon as I get a chance I will install the software that came with the camera and see what happens.................will keep everyone posted

Thanks again everyone for all your advice
    Karen

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Suggests a problem with the new camera having trouble talking with you computer (regardless of anything else going on with Windows).
    I think you are right Mark L! Sighhhhhh technology is awesome until it doesn't work!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    A card reader is a good idea irrespective of any other issues. They are quite cheap - about $30 from memory and are a lot faster than most cameras and they don't fail due to strange software problems.
    Hmmmm I was thinking about getting one , before all of this problem started

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, if you have USB3 ports, then for sure you will get an advantage in owning a USB3 card reader.

I have the Lexar model(with the pop up card slots) .. has CF and SD card slots, and the speed it reads and transfers the files to the PC was worth the quite lofty(for a card reader) expense.

file transfers went from about 10-20Mb/s on an old USB2 reader to 100Mb/s with the new USB3 reader.
    Where I used to have time to get up and make a cuppa during image transfers, I barely have time to get out of the seat now.

If you're still having trouble with WinUpdates, try doing them one by one for a while, and rebooting if the PC requests.
    Watch for really large ones and/or any slow installations too. Some take seconds to install, others take forever.

If you come across a medium-large sized installation(say 60M update) that seems to take a long time to install, and successfully get that update done, try to do the remaining updates all at once.

Do you have any other internet issues?
    While you are doing the updates, are you also doing other internetty things too(downloads/syncing/watching youtube vids/etc).

If you have any of the updates listed that are very large(200+Meg) service pack updates, you can in most instances download the service pack to your PC and install it from there instead.
    I do this for all service packs.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 14-05-2013 at 11:57pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another update.....I have installed all the software that came with my camera and still have the same problem.............sighhhhhhh

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh, Karen! Six months have passed (it seems) since you posted this. There are a lot of issues that have been discussed, but AFAIC see, the problem is between your computer and the 5D/5D files.

Card readers, updates, software are all side issues. I can only think of one more thing that's (perhaps) germane to the problem, and that is the volume you are trying to download at the one time. I'd say that a quick fix - that is, you want ALL the files off your camera - would be to download them in smaller batches - try 10-15 at a time.

You'll have to address the underlying issue eventually, but in the meantime...
    Say, have you done a Checkdisk on both your card and your HDD? It's a DOS command, and you'll have to run it from a DOS prompt.
    Check it out - it should still be in Win7 - type "CHKDSK /?" to see the options.
    A(shaking my head)m.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..... There are a lot of issues that have been discussed, but AFAIC see, the problem is between your computer and the 5D/5D files.

...snip...

Check it out - it should still be in Win7 - type "CHKDSK /?" to see the options.
    A(shaking my head)m.

Shouldn't really need to do this, as (as I understand it) Karen can get the 5D files off the card, but only via the 7D when connected to the PC.

So there is an issue with the 5D on her PC that is most likely causing the issue.

I'm also wondering if Karen has access to Lightroom, which can access the 5D in remote shooting mode?
    If not, then there may be other (free) software that may also connect to the 5D in this mode.

So, (for Karen). With the 5D connected to the PC, does it show up in Devices as a connected device?
    Does the 5D require a specific USB cable, or do you use the same USB cable as you do with the 7D.(ie. could it be a cable problem?)

At this stage, it seems that a USB card reader is probably the best option for now, and if it's important to Karen to have the ability to connect the 5D to a PC, she can work on that later.

The other(probably more important) question is .. how did you go with Windows updates?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't really need to do this, as (as I understand it) Karen can get the 5D files off the card, but only via the 7D when connected to the PC.
    [Edited in: "this" being to run a CHKDSK command on card and HDD.]

So there is an issue with the 5D on her PC that is most likely causing the issue....
    Correct, AK, so why wouldn't a CHKDSK be useful to check for any such issues?
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 15-05-2013 at 9:03pm.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hopefully , in this case, we can't see the forest for the trees.

Does the 5D require a specific USB cable, or do you use the same USB cable as you do with the 7D.(ie. could it be a cable problem?)
    Beat me to it AK.
    Did a quick google thing today and read what you suggested.
    The person seemed to have the same problem as Karen. Would work with their old camera but not the 5D. Someone suggest they must use the new cable, as older, used ones sometimes had trouble connecting with the 5D 'cause of worn contacts. It worked using the new cable that came with the 5D. (jeez, would have saved some of my two finger typing time if I'd bookmarked the page )

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So there is an issue with the 5D on her PC that is most likely causing the issue.

I'm also wondering if Karen has access to Lightroom, which can access the 5D in remote shooting mode?
    If not, then there may be other (free) software that may also connect to the 5D in this mode.

So, (for Karen). With the 5D connected to the PC, does it show up in Devices as a connected device?

At this stage, it seems that a USB card reader is probably the best option for now, and if it's important to Karen to have the ability to connect the 5D to a PC, she can work on that later.

The other(probably more important) question is .. how did you go with Windows updates?
    Unfortunately I don't have lightroom............yes the camera shows up as a device when connected to the pc and I have used both the cable that came with the 7D and the cable that came with my 5diii When I down load the photos I don't have a choice about how many i am downloading bridge downloads everything on the memeory card. i have roughly 200 photos on the card.

When i connect the 5d to my computer the whole download process starts normally and two or three are downloaded but then it stops and I can't get anymore. The message that I get is along the lines of 'computer not being able to connect with the device'

As far as windows updates are concerned...installing the software that came with my camera seems to have fixed that problem at least
    Karen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast