Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: raw files from 5d mk iii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

raw files from 5d mk iii

HELP

I finally made room on my hard drive and tried to up load files from my new 5d mk iii. Jpeg no problem but would not recognise raw files. I did some research on internet and it says that CS5 and CS6 should read 5d iii files and I have CS5. Anyone have any clues as to what I'm doing wrong? Usually I plug in camera and upload files using bridge and then process in ACR then Photoshop.

Cheers Karen
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Karen,
    I had the same issue when I first bought my 5d iii. From memory all I had to do was update to the latest version of Camera Raw. It was a while back now, so can't remember the exact process I had to use, but from what I can recall it was pretty painless.

Cheers,
    Dave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had the same problem too and as dave said just update you camera raw
    Canon 5D MKiii / Sony A7Rii / Canon 16-35mm f 4 L /Canon EF 24-70mm f-2.8 L USM / Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM / SIGMA 50mm F14. ART

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dave and Harper......did as you suggested and got excited as raw files started to download to computer.............BUUUUT it stopped after only a few and I got a message saying that the rest were not able to be accessed???????????????? Any ideas anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will need to update your Adobe Camera Raw - ACR - to its final version of 6.7 in order to open 5D3 raw files on CS5.

The download is free and is on adobe's website
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, did you try out the fancy video on your new 5D Mk III? I did, and found that the video files screwed with Bridge's head and it wouldn't download them. If you've got any video files, just uncheck them and all the RAW files should load okay. If that is not the case, then I don't have another answer. I think my Template settings might have been the problem.
    Last edited by Warbler; 08-05-2013 at 3:29pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    You will need to update your Adobe Camera Raw - ACR - to its final version of 6.7 in order to open 5D3 raw files on CS5.

The download is free and is on adobe's website
    Thats the version I just downloaded!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Um, did you try out the fancy video on your new 5D Mk III? I did, and found that the video files screwed with Bridge's head and it wouldn't download them. If you've got any video files, just uncheck them and all the RAW files should load okay. If that is not the case, then I don't have another answer. I think my Template settings might have been the problem.
    Um No I didn't try out the video capability yet

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took out the sd card and put it back in then tried again. This time more photos downloaded but still not the whole lot. Could the card be corrupted?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you downloading them through the camera or are you using a card reader?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I assume your using a PC and not a Mac.

Id suggest you try to copy the files in Windows Explorer from the Memory Card (either in the camera or via a memory card) - thus removing anything software related other than Windows. This will confirm if the data is intact on the card and that the transfer mechanisms are working OK. Hope the following bit isnt too insulting (ignore if it is)... The memory card should be visible as a hard disk in Windows Explorer and will have a drive letter (E:, F: etc). Your jpg's and raw files will be in a sub-folder in this drive. raw files have a .CR2 extension.

If that works, then your issue lies with Adobe and I suspect a driver being out of date somewhere. If it fails then my first question would be what sort of memory card are you using, SD or CF? What size and what brand?

If you have critical data on the card and you are worried about loosing it, Im in North Sydney and often around Terrey Hills area, happy to pull the data off for you until you sort the issue.

hth
    J

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harper View Post
    are you downloading them through the camera or are you using a card reader?
    I simply use my camera but am thinking of getting a card reader.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Ventureoverland

Thank you for for your advice.............yes I am running PC, and the memory card in question is a brand new sandisk 16G extreme pro SD card. I will go and try your suggestions as the particular files that i can't seem to retrieve are the ones I really want!! Murphy's Law isn't it that I can retrieve all the not so important stuff but not the files I really wanted!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktoopi View Post
    I simply use my camera but am thinking of getting a card reader.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Ventureoverland

Thank you for for your advice.............yes I am running PC, and the memory card in question is a brand new sandisk 16G extreme pro SD card. I will go and try your suggestions as the particular files that i can't seem to retrieve are the ones I really want!! Murphy's Law isn't it that I can retrieve all the not so important stuff but not the files I really wanted!!
    I never use a card reader, always leave the CF card in the camera and just plug it into the Mac. Seems the most reliable and least risk of damaging pins to me.

Anyway, with that SD Card, 99.9% sure it wont be a card issue. My money right now would defo be on the Adobe / Camera RAW software but its important that you confirm if you can simply copy the files off the car in Windows Explorer.

Keep us posted!

J

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clean the contacts on the SD Cards. My money is on the card. Had some issues of late with SD cards in my camera as well as in the card readers. Sandisk 8Gb Extremes and Lexar 64Gb cards in both 1 and 5 series cameras. After reading downloading the cards via the card reader, when I return them to the camera to format them I get errors. Common errors are "Card not Installed", or "Card not formatted in this camera". They seem to just get dirty. They often won't read at all in Sandisk card reader.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=

Keep us posted!

J[/QUOTE]

Will do.....about to go and try your suggestion.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I have tried the above as suggested by Ventureoverland and this is what has happened.

First I changed the download program to windows instead of bridge and tried to down load photos that way.......some of the files i could not access before started to download but only about three before it stopped and I got a message saying
    "device attached to system is not functioning *retry *skip file *skip all files with problems(not exact wording) *cancel

I am assuming "device" is my camera which is a worry as it is a brand spanker!!!

I cancelled all that and then I went into 'computer' and clicked on 5d mk iii and opened the memory card..............I could see all the files no problem at all............I am able to copy them across to my pictures one at a time......it wouldn't do more than one at a time ....kept crashing system and causing windows to stop working!!

However...at least I am able to get the photos. However I can't do this method everytime I want to download photos!!! It takes forever !! How can I fix it??????

thanks everyone for all your advice and help so far

Karen

- - - Updated - - -

Ok another update............started copying photos across to my pictures one by one but only after a few .......I was unable to do anymore......got the same message as before ...........Device attached to system is not functioning. Turned camera off and tried again ....could not read the files properly.....could see them with the blue CR symbol but could not see the actual photo. Turned camera off again and tried again ....this time could see all the photos normally and could copy a few more across to my pictures but once again after only a few...it stopped working and I got the same 'device attached to system not working' message.
    Last edited by ktoopi; 09-05-2013 at 11:32am.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When was the last time you did a Windows Update? This is starting to sound more like a Windows problem than it is a Canon / Adobe problem.

You could update the firmware on the 5Dmkiii to the latest (1.2.1) from the canon USA site, but I doubt that will make any difference at all. Ive just updated mine and the list of "fixes" does not include anything related to USB transfer.

Did you format the card in the camera before you started shooting? Once you get the data off it may be worth formatting in the camera, shoot a dozen raw images and try to get them of again.

Out of interest, does the Supplied Canon Software work/transfer correctly? Given the errors you reports last, I doubt it will.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added a reply about the properties of your hard drive, but it was at the time of last nights server downtime.

Go into Windows Explorer and right click the drive you are trying to place the new files into.
    If this is a single disk system, then this is your C: drive.

After you right click, select properties(at the bottom) and look at the pie chart/figures that revel your hard drive's space allocation.

If it's still quite full, then you need to cull more.

You shouldn't fill your Windows drive beyond the 80% full point.

If you're close to or over that, then it's best to invest in another drive.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I added a reply about the properties of your hard drive, but it was at the time of last nights server downtime.

Go into Windows Explorer and right click the drive you are trying to place the new files into.
    If this is a single disk system, then this is your C: drive.

After you right click, select properties(at the bottom) and look at the pie chart/figures that revel your hard drive's space allocation.

If it's still quite full, then you need to cull more.

You shouldn't fill your Windows drive beyond the 80% full point.

If you're close to or over that, then it's best to invest in another drive.
    Hi Arthurking83

Thanks I will do that ...but only a few days ago I transferred 5 yrears worth of photos onto external harddrive and then deleted them from my c drive! This should've freed up a heap of space I thought!

Karen

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Ventureoverland
    I thought my windows updates were done automatically but will check on this......I don't think I did format the card first....I can't remember and I haven't put the canon software onto my computer as i don't use it!! I use bridge ACR and photoshop! LOL

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but you'd have to do a disk defragmentation - or two! - to rearrange that freed up space into more contiguous blocks.

Anyway, have you got another computer to try the downloads on? At least try to isolate the cause of the problem.
    Am (wondering about it).
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karen,

You need to be very analytical to track down the fault. Eliminate the sources one by one. Is it only this one card you have problems with? If so, the problem is likely the card. You've already eliminated Bridge by proving that the problem exists both in Bridge and in Windows Explorer. Try a Card Reader. If it is the same, then the problem is not the camera or the card reader. Try another computer, if it's the same, it's not your computer. As I said, my money is on the card. Did you give the contacts a clean?

Cheers,
    Tim

Oops! AM is on the right track with your hard drive too. Empty the trash folder. And don't forget to try a different USB cable either. One thing at a time though.
    Last edited by Warbler; 09-05-2013 at 6:09pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktoopi View Post

Hi Arthurking83

Thanks I will do that ...but only a few days ago I transferred 5 yrears worth of photos onto external harddrive and then deleted them from my c drive! This should've freed up a heap of space I thought!

Karen

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Ventureoverland
    I thought my windows updates were done automatically but will check on this......I don't think I did format the card first....I can't remember and I haven't put the canon software onto my computer as i don't use it!! I use bridge ACR and photoshop! LOL
    Karen,
    I don't use it either, but installing it does more than just install a few apps, it installs device drivers as well.

Adobe Raw is simply a bunch of algorithms to essentially decide the data contained within te raw file. You appear to be missing up to date device drivers. The drivers you will be currently using will be generic ones at best. I strongly suggest you do a full install of the canon solutions disk. The 5D3 is very specific about the drivers it uses.

For what it's worth, based on the information given to date, I do not believe the problem to be the card or hard disk space. I'd suggest you install the canon software and then, fail in that format the card in the camera and try again.

Sent using Forum Runner

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast