User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adobe to abandon Photoshop! CS6 is the last one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likely they're moving to this model due to piracy, however it will not stop it- they will find a way to crack the software. Even if it does an activation check every 30 days, that is not something difficult to overcome..

It will be a major turnoff for many, and so it'll be interesting to see what happens...
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's akin to a car company telling you that you can't buy one of their cars outright, only hire it. I hope this decision blows up in their faces.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://www.adobe.com/cc/letter.html

Will also be interesting to see how people like Google manage their Nik Software suite, and others who develop plugins and filters for Adobe products, adjust to work with this new cloud based operation.
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-05-2013 at 2:25pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    except for new model cameras' RAW files.
    You'll just have to sell all your lenses/bodies and get a .... They have Adobe DNG built in, no Vapourware required.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    Adobe aren't abandoning Photoshop or Creative Suite, it's just going to a subscription model. It'll be cheaper for some (those who subscribe the the whole package) and more expensive for others (those who just subscribe to Photoshop) but Adobe aren't abandoning anything.
    Adobe has said it will no longer be developing its Creative Suite range of software, leaving its subscription and cloud-based Creative Cloud as the only way of accessing the latest version of Photoshop
    What exactly is it about that initial line that makes you think they're not abandoning the CS line of products!!

CS6 has a limited lifetime, as already said by others. Once Adobe decides that ACR will no longer be supported for newer cameras, and Adobe stop supporting updates and bug fixes ... technically they have ceased support for the CS products!

Why is this concept so hard to understand.

For those that see this as a good move .. good luck to them.

For the majority tho .. having to pay twice as much for software every year, sounds like money not well spent.

There are many folks out there that may skip a generation or two of a particular software product, to then update it later on in their usage cycle.
    Windows is a classic example of this method of updating software ... you get the good stuff(Win2K .... WinXP .. Win7), and pass on the crappy versions(Win Vista, Win8 .. etc)

Adobe thing they above the general consumer trend for product cycles, and I(also) think this may become the start of the end of their dominance in this field.
    I just hope that whoever takes up this challenge, that they design their software so that it's not so convoluted!

I suppose there may be one side benefit of going this route tho(if their subscription model works in this manner).

They reckon you can use the software for 180days without having to be online.
    So can you come and go into the product's subscription cycle as you need, and not have to pay any missed usage?

That is, say you have atone of images you want to process in July ... and you do this, but you don't use the software for three or four months, can you come back to it in Dec, and only pay for this month's usage?
    Or do you have to pay for the missing 4 months, where you didn't use it?

This is the key to it's success.
    If you're paying to use a produce that you don't use ... I think this is going to become a massive fail mark against Adobe.

For many general users(ie. non commercial type users) ... I think they will gravitate to other raw converters and use TIFF file types as the basis for their photography editing.

I can't see LR lasting for too much longer without going to the same product modelling.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=arthurking83;1142884

They reckon you can use the software for 180days without having to be online.
    So can you come and go into the product's subscription cycle as you need, and not have to pay any missed usage?

That is, say you have atone of images you want to process in July ... and you do this, but you don't use the software for three or four months, can you come back to it in Dec, and only pay for this month's usage?
    Or do you have to pay for the missing 4 months, where you didn't use it?

[/QUOTE]
    I too thought that might be a way of circumventing the monthly payment, but I suspect that it will probably only apply for those on an annual subscription. They can't possibly be so stupid as to have a monthly subscription and then let you use it for three months without having to pay. Can they?
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    ..... They can't possibly be so stupid as to have a monthly subscription and then let you use it for three months without having to pay. Can they?
    Being Adobe, they'd have thought of this, and one would expect them not to allow people to come and go into the subscription as they please.
    This of course doesn't make any sense to a company seemingly hell bent on becoming the masters of the software universe ... but sometimes you never know.

BUT!!!..... It wouldn't be hard for them to produce a software model for this new CC product for those of you that would like to use it on a monthly basis.

Say you pay $10 more (than the regular price)per month just to use it for one month on a month by month basis .. or something like that.

I mean, you get this type of product services with internet providers, and phone companies now .. whereas a few moons ago this wasn't possible.

I personally wouldn't pay for software that is ultimately not mine to keep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand you wont actually be down loading the program but you will have to subscribe to be able to gain access to the software then do do what ever you want and log off then when you want to use the software again you have to go and log in again. A RRP. But I could be wrong someone may be able to correct this but that's what was suggested @ work. but I think I will @ least try to get Lightroom 4 real soon & or do I upgrade corel draw 4. all becoming a RRP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went on the Adobe website and it says if you qualify-cs3 or newer you can have a $9.99 single app monthly subscription for 12 months-doesnt seem like such a bad deal, maybe if it goes way beyond that after 12 months then that might suck.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding from reading the link Rick posted above is that you will sign up for a twelve month subscription, and therefore pay for twelve months when you do. You then also need to be online from time to time for your software to continue to function. Presumably you won't be able to simply pay for one month and get four.

See this link:

http://www.adobe.com/au/products/cre...ing-guide.html

Notice the words "Annual Commitment Billed Monthly"? No chance that you'll be able to buy a single month.
    Last edited by Warbler; 08-05-2013 at 10:26am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    I just went on the Adobe website and it says if you qualify-cs3 or newer you can have a $9.99 single app monthly subscription for 12 months-doesnt seem like such a bad deal, maybe if it goes way beyond that after 12 months then that might suck.
    Can you give a link to that, I have searched the adobe website and I cannot find anything less than $19.99p/m

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread.

The one question in my mind is.

What is a dobe?

Is it the opposite of a don'tbe?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a current CC customer i might just dispell a few things here.

during the sign up process it asks if you want to sign up for a year or 1 month the difference is around $15 between the 2 but if you leave the annual plan then you need to pay the rest of the years fees much like a mobile phone plan. The software calls home every now and then to check to see if your still subscribed, im signed up with the annual plan and i intentionally skipped 1 months payment to see what would happen. All i go was a warning telling me that i had 15 days to pay my bill or i would loose access to the software. On my other computer im also using photoshop but again as a test its not connected to the internet. 90 days on and its still letting me run the software.

From that you dont need to be connected to the net to make the software work, unlike what was originally reported when it was released the software is not browser based...you download the full version of photoshop, lightroom, dreamweaver etc and run it as you would the packaged software.

There is a pretty good write up here that answers alot more questions and has links to adobe pages for people who have paid for CS6 and lower to upgrade (or downgrade however you may see it).

So far ive found CC to be a great package with some non advertised additions that i did not expect (domain name, photo portfolio web hosting, tutorials)
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced