Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adobe to abandon Photoshop! CS6 is the last one

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Adobe to abandon Photoshop! CS6 is the last one

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/06/ado...wrapped-boxes/

Adobe have announced that CS6 will be the last.

From here forward it will be a cloud based service @ $50.00 per month. I reckon Adobe knows very well that PS is one of the most pirated software packages and using the cloud gives them control back as the only way to get access to it, will be to pay for it.

Not sure if Elements is included in this of if Elements will continue as a purchasable disk based package.
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-05-2013 at 8:15am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting......
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been very obvious for some time that that is what they are moving towards. Some of their comments about the time of the investigation into their of Australian product pricing suggested as much, Whether they think Lightroom and elements can go that way time alone will tell.
    I had already made the decision that the next version of Photoshop would be the last I would ever buy. Some people still get along fine with earlier versions so far as just working on photographs is concerned.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is going to make them a lot of friends. I currently update every two versions at around $300 a time. Paying $600 every year is not something I'd be all that pleased about. A bigger bunch of thieves it would be harder to find. Australian customers won't benefit from the bells and whistles of the on-line options, and given Adobe's price-gouging of Aussie customers, I can't see things getting better under Cloud Computing - not using Adobe's model of it anyway. The management group at Adobe would not be out of place running one of our four major banks.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    It's been very obvious for some time that that is what they are moving towards. Some of their comments about the time of the investigation into their of Australian product pricing suggested as much, Whether they think Lightroom and elements can go that way time alone will tell.
    I had already made the decision that the next version of Photoshop would be the last I would ever buy. Some people still get along fine with earlier versions so far as just working on photographs is concerned.
    Until you get a new camera..and shoot RAW. If Adobe are no longer supporting it, then there will be no upgraded to ACR and thus newer cameras will not be able to open RAW files within PS. Will be interesting to see what they do with their DNG converter..and Lightroom. Lightroom will offer the 'work around' for RAW files in future if they maintain it as a computer based application and not move it to the cloud as well.
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-05-2013 at 9:24am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I will be using DPP going to tiff going to photoshop. I have DPP++ and can use that,Or using a different raw converter, say raw therapee, or Aftershop pro. Lightroom is still going to be around so they say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adobe aren't abandoning Photoshop or Creative Suite, it's just going to a subscription model. It'll be cheaper for some (those who subscribe the the whole package) and more expensive for others (those who just subscribe to Photoshop) but Adobe aren't abandoning anything.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    Adobe aren't abandoning Photoshop or Creative Suite.... but Adobe aren't abandoning anything.
    yes they are, no more shrink wrapped disks...and they have said the CS name will no longer be used. They are abandoning the product as we know it today.
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-05-2013 at 10:19am.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a big mistake by Adobe.

It will open the door for competing products.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone explain to me what this cloud computing they are talking about really is. It does appear that in reality all they are doing is having a monthly subscription which enables the program, installed on your computer, to keep running.
    Answer to faq do you need to be connected to the internet to run the program.

No. Your Creative Cloud desktop applications (such as Photoshop and Illustrator) are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.

You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you'll be able to use products for 180 days even if you're offline.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post

Lets hope so.
    I already have Raw therapee, DPP++ and Gimp that I play with occasionally , though I do my main work on Lighroom and CS5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bugger i get my CS6 for $82 (TAFE staff) i wonder what will happen with educational pricing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    yes they are, no more shrink wrapped disks...and they have said the CS name will no longer be used. They are abandoning the product as we know it today.
    They're clearly not abandoning Photoshop. Sure, they're abandoning the Creative Suite name - but Creative Cloud is in all but name, Creative Suite - just that you download it rather than get a cardboard box full of disks.

- - - Updated - - -

Such as? Acorn? Pixelmator? GIMP? Paint Shop Pro All those products have a LONG way to go before they can be considered competitors. And besides, it would be amazing to have something as powerful as Photoshop as a competitor. It'll give us a bit of choice, finally.
    Last edited by welly; 07-05-2013 at 11:02am.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @welly - the mistake is the business model (subscription) not the product

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huge mistake. Simply, I and thousands upon thosands of customers like me will not, repeat NOT, sign on to the subscription model. Not now. Not ever.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like Lightroom and Elements are continuing as stand-alone products for now (at least one more version). After that ... who knows? I don't want to be paying $600/year for something that currently costs me about $150/year.
    -- Mister Q

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Huge mistake. Simply, I and thousands upon thosands of customers like me will not, repeat NOT, sign on to the subscription model. Not now. Not ever.
    Agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @welly - the mistake is the business model (subscription) not the product
    Fair enough. For me, signing up to Creative Cloud was * removed - do not post about illegal activity on the site, read the site rules* . I simply couldn't afford to spend over $2000 on the entire bundle as I need more than just Photoshop for my work. Now I can, and likewise to thousands upon thousands of others who couldn't afford Creative Suite.

Obviously this payment model isn't going to be for everyone - for me it's perfect - and it'll give the others (Acorn, Pixelmator etc.) a fighting chance but for those who need Photoshop, I guess you'll either have to go with it or stick with your older, and clearly very capable, versions. Although in 2 or 3 years time when the older versions of Photoshop are no longer supported and your new cameras don't work with the older versions, what are you going to do? I assume that there might be a alternative by then. Anyway, will be interesting to see what happens.
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-05-2013 at 12:33pm.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll never pay Adobe a subscription.

I'll just use CS6 until it's a dinosaur and by then there might be some competitive products around.

It's moves like this by Adobe that give products like Gimp a much needed shot in the arm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I'll never pay Adobe a subscription.

I'll just use CS6 until it's a dinosaur and by then there might be some competitive products around.

It's moves like this by Adobe that give products like Gimp a much needed shot in the arm.
    I'm with you on this one!
    Not in a million years will I pay a monthly subscription fee for software, especially not when it works out quite a bit more expensive per year then the existing upgrade path that has been offered!
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with those who refuse to rent vapourware. I spend $1500 to buy my first full copy of Photoshop 6, ten or twelve years ago. Since then I have upgraded on a number of occasions. All those previous versions still work. I currently have CS6 and it will continue to work except for new model cameras' RAW files. Adobe will not get another cent from me in future.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast