User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  39
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Australians very good photographers on a whole?

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Australians very good photographers on a whole?

Ok this is not to get anyone's nose out of joint (are noses even actually jointed? anyways I digress) but after spending an inordinate amount of time on U.S and more international based photography sites......the level of work that people are producing is pretty mind blowing. Like I mean out of the park good!

Now while we do see work posted up on Ausph and other Aussie sites that is great (often very much so) it 'seems' and I say this with an open mind and willing to be shot down in inglorious flames that par for par we're behind the eight ball when it comes to the quality of what I'm seeing posted internationally.

Anyone else ever had the same thoughts?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably a sampling error on your part. I also spend some time on 2 other OS sites and their stuff is no better/worse (richer/poorer) than here.
    But that might just be a sampling error on my part.
    m.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's easier to make a quid as a "Fine Art" photographer in a market the size of the USA or Europe. That may drive the perception to a degree. That said, I don't think our photographers are better or worse in any other category. How would you tell anyway? It's only where the scope broadens to Art categories, because we don't have the markets to support photographer's who are doing that regularly. JMHO of course.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to spend quite a bit of time on this site http://1x.com/photos . It has some very good photos on it and if you like the style it is well worth while. It would be rare that a competition winner here would get accepted on 1x. That's not to say that Oz photographers aren't any good. It just says that there are a lot of other photographers in the world and that this site isn't really designed to produce the best possible comp winners.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Australia has 25 million people. the US has 250 million.

We also tend to see photos of things like the Sydney Harbour Bridge as cliched but show a damn good bridge shot to an American and see what the reaction is. We may be perhaps a little blase about Australian images, after all it is what we see every day.

The other thing I notice, more so in wedding photography but it happens in other genre as well, is that there is a tendency to follow the latest 'it' style. A few years back that was selective colour, then we got trash the dress, recently it is the low contrast stuff and a bleach bypass type effect. We seem to be driven by what trends are happening elsewhere and follow along. Australian wedding photographers do not seem to me to be very innovative. But then again are they being driven by the market demand? "provide what the client wants".

I don't really think we are not good photographers and certainly Australians produce some amazing work, but maybe we are not innovative in some genre.
    Last edited by ricktas; 20-04-2013 at 7:01pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australian photographers/amateurs/hobbyists compared to friends and colleagues I have seen in Asia, Europe, US

fashion = behind

commercial = behind

wedding = far behind

travel/documentary = on par

portraiture = on par
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The other aspect is the instant world we live in. Go back 50 years and it would take months for the 'latest fashions' to even make it to our shores. The internet and satellite access to TV has meant for the first time in human history we are seeing what is happening on the other side of the planet, as it happens. Maybe Australians are just used to being behind.

I sometimes am grateful we take our time cause some of the so called fashion and photography of it, is not good! Commercial photography has taken a hit in Australia as more and more of what we used to produce is now made overseas, and the manufacturer uses an overseas photographer and then those image files are sent around the world for use, where in the past they were taken here.

Copying everyone else does not necessarily mean advancing, being better, improving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general i agree with the op.

JM your wedding = far behind comment intrigues me. In recent times a fair share of the worlds top 10/top 20/top 100 wedding photographers as rated by various photographic 'authorities' are from Australia. Do you have any more specifics as to where we are behind?

I tend to agree with a previous poster that many if not most photos posted here and other oz forums would not make it onto a curated site like 1x. Personally I feel that is because Europe is a way ahead in regards to acceptance of photography as an art, and also it must be said, their use of image manipulation.

Which brings me to my last point, in general, in my opinion, Australian photographers are a country mile behind their acceptance, skills and use of photoshop, etc. in fact, I struggle to think of many Australian photographers who are highly regarded in their use of, and skill in post processing, beyond really what are the basics.
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I suppose the other question that needs to be asked, if we are way behind the rest of the world, do we care?

As long as we, our clients, the people that view our photos, look a them, critique them, find what we are doing as good, then who cares if the rest of the world thinks it is better, more advanced than Australian photographers.

Following along blindly with the rest of the world really doesn't mean it is the right direction.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what "behind" means. You could "turn around" and become a leader. (Just like everybody else does.)
    Trends! Yeah, g'day mate! (Like in a recent ad - with that sardonic tone.)
    Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you earn your living from it, already you would care.
    And imo, if it stifles creativity by not caring, that is not good either

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollo View Post

I tend to agree with a previous poster that many if not most photos posted here and other oz forums would not make it onto a curated site like 1x.
    Is that because nearly anyone can post nearly anything here. Many photos are posted in an attempt to learn, not in presenting excellence.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you earn your living from it, already you would care.
    And imo, if it stifles creativity by not caring, that is not good either
    But is copying what is done in the US and Europe being creative..or just copying?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be either, couldn't it?
    I could learn from them and apply it locally but I kinda fail to see how ignoring it will help me improve at all.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could be either, couldn't it?
    I could learn from them and apply it locally but I kinda fail to see how ignoring it will help me improve at all.
    Cause ignoring this season's trend and going on your own path could well mean you are a leader in next season's trend, instead of a follower. I see it all to often, especially in wedding photography how Australians follow whatever is trendy OS, rather than try and be the creator of a trend. My comment about ignoring it was that if we want to lead, we have to learn not to follow, and to do so would mean ignoring the OS trends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Is that because nearly anyone can post nearly anything here. Many photos are posted in an attempt to learn, not in presenting excellence.
    Yeah absolutely, although I do see a lot of what is posted here is also on people's websites and portfolios.

Not a big deal, but I personally like to try and push myself quite hard.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah absolutely, although I do see a lot of what is posted here is also on people's websites and portfolios.

Not a big deal, but I personally like to try and push myself quite hard.
    I agree, and this thread was about 'are Australian photographers good enough on a whole'. I think we are, but we need to get out from under the umbrella and get more creative in our own distinct and unique way, and then the world will sit up and take more notice. I think in some genre we tend to let the rest of the world lead..and we follow. We need to get away from that if we want to impress on the world stage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Cause ignoring this season's trend and going on your own path could well mean you are a leader in next season's trend, instead of a follower. I see it all to often, especially in wedding photography how Australians follow whatever is trendy OS, rather than try and be the creator of a trend. My comment about ignoring it was that if we want to lead, we have to learn not to follow, and to do so would mean ignoring the OS trends.
    I agree, following trends is not really ideal. But some of what is happening overseas is not a trend, but more a shift at the core of photography. That's what I like to keep an eye on.

I'll use HDR as an example, when it took off, many dismissed it, as an ugly trend, but its a technique that is definitely legitimate, camera makers are incorporating it into cameras and can be used for good or evil😄

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general i agree with the op.

JM your wedding = far behind comment intrigues me. In recent times a fair share of the worlds top 10/top 20/top 100 wedding photographers as rated by various photographic 'authorities' are from Australia. Do you have any more specifics as to where we are behind?

I tend to agree with a previous poster that many if not most photos posted here and other oz forums would not make it onto a curated site like 1x. Personally I feel that is because Europe is a way ahead in regards to acceptance of photography as an art, and also it must be said, their use of image manipulation.

Which brings me to my last point, in general, in my opinion, Australian photographers are a country mile behind their acceptance, skills and use of photoshop, etc. in fact, I struggle to think of many Australian photographers who are highly regarded in their use of, and skill in post processing, beyond really what are the basics.
    Well the thing is, a few individuals who make it into these so called TOP 20 rankings dont necessarily represent the norm of Australian wedding photographers, so it can be misleading to say just because 4 or 5 etc as an example is in the 'top 20', does not automatically make Australia a world leader in wedding photography.

We, or the people I know or see, are sticking to the damn faux-vintage look which has become a big trend in wedding photography here and one would find it hard to see an individual photorgrapher's own style and separate them from the rest.

Compared to the creative stuff I constantly see from Asia from colleagues and strangers, and on other continents. We are currently emulating and not innovating.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    Well the thing is, a few individuals who make it into these so called TOP 20 rankings dont necessarily represent the norm of Australian wedding photographers, so it can be misleading to say just because 4 or 5 etc as an example is in the 'top 20', does not automatically make Australia a world leader in wedding photography.
    It's not bad though, considering how many wedding photographers there are (in the world).
    World leaders, who cares anyway.
    Last edited by Mark L; 20-04-2013 at 11:51pm. Reason: edit site double post!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast