Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15

Thread: Forum friends.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forum friends.

From my rural outpost, have managed to personally meet four AP members. All seem like decent (relatively level headed ) people. Think some would be potential friends without the tyranny of distance.

I think I have many friends on AP. Though this week I got my first notice from someone asking to be my AP friend.

And the point is! Apart from forum community, which happens through our interaction in various threads, is there any reason to ask to make yourself someone else's friend?

Just wondering.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    not really, they appear with a little + sign next to their name on the who's online list on the homepage. They also have their own little section down the left hand side of the home page. Handy if you PM them regularly, cause they are there and easy to see if they are online etc.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Requests need to be handled carefully (not that I've had any) or it could end up like Facebook, a large list of "friends " that you never or rarely communicate with. As you say Mark, we all communicate via the forum so unless there is some extraneous personal or maybe professional connection whats the point?
    EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Port View Post
    Requests need to be handled carefully (not that I've had any) or it could end up like Facebook, a large list of "friends " that you never or rarely communicate with. As you say Mark, we all communicate via the forum so unless there is some extraneous personal or maybe professional connection whats the point?
    It's part of the site software and has been for a few years now. Certainly not something we use on AP that much, but it exists and members can choose to use it, or not. It doesn't give you access to any extra privileges or information about the other member. If AP was a bigger forum, say with 200,000 members, it might come in handy as a tool to help you keep up with friends threads and posts, cause trolling through new posts when there are 10s of thousands of them gets a bit tedious. Whereas we have around 1000 posts a day (40-50 per hour average: though these are not spread evenly throughout the 24 hours) so it is not that hard to watch new posts and see what is going on, here on AP.

We also tend to be a fairly open and diverse bunch in that we look at most forums and their photos. But say a family forum, people might stick to certain sections, like babies, teenagers, caring for elderly etc, depending on where their interest lie, and befriending people who are interested in the same issues on large forums like that can help keep track of things.

On AP though, for me, it really is not a critical or often-used feature. It is just something that the software has the ability to allow, so its there.
    Last edited by ricktas; 02-05-2013 at 7:13am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe if I was a nice person like Mark, I'd get friend requests too ...
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few friends listed on here. Some I actually have met. But over the years I consider most of the members on here as friends.

A friend is considered as one that stands by you when you stuff up (And I've done that a lot) One who freely helps out when you need a hand. One who thinks nothing of showing you how to do it right. One who doesn't care about the colour of you skin, your nationality, your religion or any handicaps you may have. And one who has similar interests, and enjoys the things that you both do.

I think that describes a fair few of the members on AP. So in fact you have heaps of friends, me included...

P.S. Rattus is one of those friends that you can only handle in short doses....
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Though this week I got my first notice from someone asking to be my AP friend.

It's not quite as popular here as it is on other photography forums.
    f o t o w o r x

People taking the time out to give me CC is always very much appreciated

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest I think it is a bit 'kiddie school-yard stuff'.

Not wishing to offend, I've accepted a couple of requests, but I won't in the future.
    Cheers
    Kev

D600 : D7200 and too much stuff to list

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another feature is that if you go to 'Your Activity" in your profile, posts my friends will be displayed as well. So, if you want to keep up with what friends might be posting on, without wading through many posts, then this is also a useful feature, cheers Deb

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post

A friend is considered as one that stands by you when you stuff up (And I've done that a lot) One who freely helps out when you need a hand. One who thinks nothing of showing you how to do it right. One who doesn't care about the colour of you skin, your nationality, your religion or any handicaps you may have. And one who has similar interests, and enjoys the things that you both do.

I think that describes a fair few of the members on AP. So in fact you have heaps of friends, me included...
    Very nicely said geoffsta

Must be something to do with the name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. Rattus is one of those friends that you can only handle in short doses....
    Thankfully for all you guys, I have a limited attention span and only bother typing for short periods.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've met around 40-50 APers on the last 5+ years, some are even in my local camera club
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With friends like
    who needs
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must have met at least 40 APer's , All are good people and I've had a great outing with them, We've been to photoshoots , Breakfast's and Drinkey's at local clubs , Even Mongo !! , Reminds me , We should start another SE qld meet up , One day I'll get to Tassie to meet Rick
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I must have met at least 40 APer's , All are good people and I've had a great outing with them, We've been to photoshoots , Breakfast's and Drinkey's at local clubs , Even Mongo !! , Reminds me , We should start another SE qld meet up , One day I'll get to Tassie to meet Rick
    Good Idea, Bout time for another one!