Thread: Screen saver software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screen saver software

My question is what is good software to create screen savers with. Free or pay for. I am not fussed. If it works and is good (ie lots of people have positive raves) i am interested.

I have been playing with 'Power screensaver builder' which does the job Ok. It has many transitions and options but limits the image size to 1024 *768.

I am wondering what others use.

Software like capture one have a 'slide show' option, but that is reliant on having CO installed on the PC.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont use screensavers and have instigated that at my workplace we don't use them either. It is much better to have your system set to power off your screen after several minutes of non-use. Screen savers mean the screen is running and consuming power, shutting it down means a lot less power is used and cost savings result.

In fact I do not know anyone who uses a screen saved these days.

So having said that, I do not know of any sofrware to do them, but if you are hoping to generate some for sales, you probably need to consider that the screen saver market is both saturated and reducing in size as people look at every way possible to reduce their bills.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ACDSee does the job.
    Last edited by Warbler; 01-05-2013 at 7:59pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses. My interest is purely self indulgent. I will not buy a digital photo frame as I do not like the resolution and power usage. Yes Rick you are correct. There are very few companies who allow the use of screen savers. The company I work with have 40k desktops and power saving is a key corporate goal.

I like the idea of having my photos on my PC/laptop for my gratification. My background is my photo and a personal screensaver is just something to have on my screen during phone calls and coffee breaks.

Shall have a look at ACDSee this evening.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me know if you have problems with the trial version of ACDSee Pro 6. I tried to instal that later version myself and it won't run on my machine. Have no idea why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Picasa 3 at work to power the screensaver.

It lets you choose the photos you want by putting them into a screensaver folder, and has lovely pan/zoom transitions too.

I only use this on my work pc, as it's in a prominent place and I often get positive remarks about it from potential clients.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wallmaster...

but better off with what rick says.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ACDSee allows you to save your screensaver as a *.scr file, and makes it portable. Double-clicking on that file will instal it on the host PC it it is running Windows. If that is what you want, ACDSee will do it for you. It will allow you to save as a MPEG. You can use your music as well with the Screen saver or the MPEG. Once again, these files are portable. All the usual transitions and effects are available in both. In addition to the above, the program is a photo editor which includes RAW converter. At $100 for the Pro version, it is worth a look for those who aren't after all the bells and whistles, or the expense. The non-pro version costs half that and contains most of the features.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you use windows, it has a screen saver built in. You can put a heap of photos into a folder and use that folder as the stuff that comes up!
    Is free!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    If you use windows, it has a screen saver built in. You can put a heap of photos into a folder and use that folder as the stuff that comes up!
    Is free!!
    It also looks terrible.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    It also looks terrible.
    You need to re-size the photos to suit the screen!! If they are too big the saver compression is really bad.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff