Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google images.

Thought this site was safe to protect our images... Not according to google

Copyright.jpg
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So AP is the only place you've posted this image on the w.w.w.?

- - - Updated - - -

Looked again. Dumb, irrelevant question!!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geoff. I tried "couldn't sleep" and "pelican". How did you find it?
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only if the image is posted to the Member Photos forums, not other forums, and it is uploaded to AP. We cannot protect images linked from elsewhere, like flickr, photobucket etc. If you link them in, then the image being hosted elsewhere is outside the control of our server and software.
    Last edited by ricktas; 29-04-2013 at 9:58pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True... Has been posted on flickr, and on Facebook. I typed in "Geoff Stanton" "Pelican" into google images. I would have thought the image would have come from facebook or flickr. Not my thread title, and from here..

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    True... Has been posted on flickr, and on Facebook. I typed in "Geoff Stanton" "Pelican" into google images. I would have thought the image would have come from facebook or flickr. Not my thread title, and from here..
    As I said we cannot stop google scanning AP for linked images. We have no control over them. We control our server and what is on it, not what is on Flickr etc. We cannot stop google finding linked images, cause all they are is a web address, the same as any other website address. We can stop them accessing the AP server and where the photos are stored on this site only!

What happens is you upload your photo to AP, we block google from accessing that part of our server. So their bots can see the thread, but not the photo, so it is of no use to them cause they have not got access to an image to catalogue. When you link from Flickr etc, all we get on AP is a website address link to the photo, which is wrapped in a code so the AP software displays it as an image. A web link could be a photo, a file, a website, a website page, an email address and more. We cannot block google from seeing those.
    Last edited by ricktas; 30-04-2013 at 6:18am.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So a quick question .... I post my photos straight from my computer by the way of the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the page and then just follow the instructions. So being a tech dinosaur my is question " Is google able to access my photos via the same process you mentioned above "
    Cargo

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    So a quick question .... I post my photos straight from my computer by the way of the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the page and then just follow the instructions. So being a tech dinosaur my is question " Is google able to access my photos via the same process you mentioned above "
    Cargo
    If you upload them direct to the AP site..NO. Google cannot access your photos.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AP Security in a nutshell...
    • Images uploaded as attachments are private to logged in members of AP
    • Images uploaded to the AP Gallery are externally linkable/viewable
    • Images linked into AP from external sites - security depends on the external site

These settings have not changed since 2008
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick and Kym... I'm not arguing the point at all. Completely understandable.
    Thing is.. Even logged into Flickr, I cannot right mouse click an image and go "Save As" as you can on google.
    Try typing in "Ricki Kean" "Tasmania" into Google images. and you will be amazed at how many images from this site come up... Absolutely scary....

Now imagine if all members loaded their files direct to this site, to protect their copyright... How much server space would be required.

Now I don't really give a fig about my images. Not really worth pinching. But what I have seen from the above search results, all uploadable by the way. some might worry.

Is it a breach of copyright? For if I was to go to anyones Flickr site. There is no way I can download them. But If I was to do a search for someones images on google, I can get them there...

Just asking the question....

EDIT:.....
    I suppose it would be the same for any image forum...
    Last edited by geoffsta; 30-04-2013 at 5:30pm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No it is not a breach of copyright. A breach of copyright involves someone taking your photo and using it without your permission, not the display of it on a search engine webpage.

The reason my images come up is that I post most of my photos from photobucket. The ones I upload to AP do not show up on google images.

The site currently takes up 16gb of space on the server (after being online for nearly 7 years) we host 50,262 images taking up 8.09 GB. This does not include the 14,000 competition entries stored on the site,which are locked down even more than the forums. So the site has plenty of server space available.

I can easily get a copy of your photos on flickr onto my computer. Flickr do not protect your photos, in fact they happily even give me a link to get them..and I was not even logged into flickr:

PS - nice dandelion flower Geoff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ricktas; 30-04-2013 at 6:08pm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In the end there is not perfect system, unless you do not put any photos on the net. We do all we can to protect your copyright, but if we did more, then none of us would be able to even see each others photos to provide CC etc. It is a balancing act.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take it as a compliment , If your images get stolen It's hard to sell them anyway There not getting the full res version , So IMO , Who cares , Cop it sweet , It's the way the world is these days
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters