Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weddings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weddings

Hi All, It has been a while but work has prohibited me from the joys of photography. Although I have a question(s). My sister in-law has asked me to photograph her wedding in 12 months time.
    Big step from a beginner. I have a canon 60D with twin lens kit plus a 50mm. I would appreciate any information on how to approach this challenge, which gear I should look at buying. It will be a June Beach Wedding in Queensland. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dare say a flash will be essential.
    Canon 60D - 24-105 F4 L - Sigma 10-20 - Kit lenses - 50mm F:1.8 - Tamron 90mm F:2.8 Macro - 430 exII _ Extension Tube Set

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    & Welcome Back
    - lets see some photos in the main CC forums maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Staying active is easy and fun, just post an image for CC once a fortnight and
    post 2 or 3 CC comments to other images in the same fortnight.

For that wedding - lots of practice, get a 2nd shooter, and planning!
    Last edited by Kym; 07-06-2012 at 9:58am.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Regular Visitor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back
    Regards
    Wayne

CC Always welcome as its a great way of Learning

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'm just after which accessories would benefit me eg. lens type/filters,flash.
    Which brands are preferable.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    another camera body (in case yours dies), extra memory cards, insurance (even a family wedding photographer could be sued if a guest falls over your camera bag and breaks an arm/leg etc).
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Patto View Post
    Big step from a beginner. I have a canon 60D with twin lens kit plus a 50mm. I would appreciate any information on how to approach this challenge,
    If your sister in law ( presumably FUTURE sis in law ) wants professional results, back out now and advise her to hire someone that has a ton of gear and more importantly, experience.
    If she doesn't aspire to out of this world shots then take the job on, devote 23 hours a day until then researching the best way to do it and get a fatter credit card.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are aware i've never done it before, so its not going to be treated as professional quality shots. I won't be treating it like a professional photo shoot. I'm not expecting money for it and I don't believe there will be posing shots. Although I may push for some.
    Any ideas on which quality lens(s) I should look at getting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much are you willing to spend?

Got a lazy $10K laying around to buy lenses, flashes, reflectors etc etc?
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet but I can work on it over 6 months, just need to know where to start. Don't want to buy anything thats not neccessary.
    Got the memory cards and spare batteries, whats next?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    specify what your budget is, hard to help when we don't know what your price range is.
    professional wedding photographers gear exceeds tens of thousands of dollars, so no point in simply suggesting the best.

A quality zoom lens would most likely be useful to you, something like the canon 15-55 F 2.8 IS, or since it's on the beach so there will be an abundance of light and little tight enclosed spaces a 24-105 F4L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about assisting another photographer at one or several weddings before? Weddings are one of the most demanding types of photography, I'm not sure anyone can get it right on the first attempt.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a great idea, i'll look into that possibility.
    Budget allows around $2000 - $3000 for lenses right now, but could increase over the next 2-3 months.
    Thanks
    Last edited by John Patto; 08-06-2012 at 7:28am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    10-22
    24-70 f2.8
    70-200 f2.8
    speedlight and diffuser
    extra camera body
    insurance

and between now and wedding, as much portraiture practice as you can get. Also not knowing your post processing abililty, as much learning on processing techniques as you can.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thank you, Hopefully I'll get some photos up soon for critique

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a good brand of tripod?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manfrotto is a decent tripod. But there's the tripod and there's the head (separate purchases unless they are bundled together). However it depends on your need. If it's ONLY for the wedding and not much use thereafter, you probably don't have to fork out for the expensive tripod. There are other brands of course. You should get down to a camera shop and experience them all first hand to see what suits you. PS. Don't buy the tripod until you have the lenses, as you want to know how much weight your tripod is going to have to carry!

- - - Updated - - -

John, I can appreciate you wanting to know what the best gear to buy is, and as a once off, you probably want to keep it fairly minimal. Rick's lens suggestions above are probably what you should think about. If you get a lens like the 24-70 or 24-105mm f/4L with IS, you'll probably use it for 90% of shots. Apart from that, you may want a wider angle lens (say 10-22mm) and/or a zoom (70-200 or even more if you can afford it). You most certainly need a quality flash as well (and at least 3 sets of new batteries). Anything after that are a bonus. I include a 50mm f1.8 because it is cheap, lightweight, and can come in handy when it the light gets low or I really want some short DOF.

The thing with weddings is that too many lenses can make it very cumbersome for you, especially as a beginner. You don't want to be halfway between the vows and the kiss and trying to change lenses (better option is having 2 bodies so that you can switch between the two quickly). So obviously there is a lot more to think about then the equipment, such as where you want to position yourself at each and every point during the day, what you actually want to photograph, and whether you want to capture everything that is going on around you (one of the parents will shed a tear during the day which can make for a gorgeous photo). Shooting the couple is obvious, but you may also want photos of the family and crowd, the rings, the marriage certificates, the flower girl sitting in the corner picking flowers off her bouquet, the church, etc etc. It can be frantic and a bit daunting. So think long and hard about a detailed plan, check out heaps of other photographer websites for inspiration and try to get some experience if you can - especially using your camera settings and knowing how to adjust for different conditions. Aperture, fill-flash, composition, are just some things to always keep in mind. Visit the location the day before at the same time of day so that you can take some practice shots and get a feel for the lighting conditions. If you can, maybe get someone to be your assistant to carry your extra gear and just help out with organising people and yourself. It really helps to have someone with good people skills doing the thinking for you while you concentrate on the camera.

The equipment won't give you better photographs if you are unprepared for using them. Keep it simple and learn to use what you have. And have lots of spare batteries, memory cards (I'd say minimum 4 x 8Gb if shooting in RAW), and a spare body if you can. Buy, borrow or hire.

As for insurance, since you are not being paid, think about if you are the "official" photographer or just another member of the crowd who is taking photos (a lot more photos, and standing in the way a lot).

Even the couple are relaxed about expectations, they will still be hopeful for some fantastic shots, so the more you can do beforehand to be prepared, the better.

Hope that wasn't too long-winded.
    http://bit.ly/dnc5cT

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, Thats awesome input, i'll have to read it a few times to absorb it. The tripod info was very helpful as I was probably gonna get it next, now i'll wait.

Hopefully if the rain holds off this weekend I have my sons soccer game and a friends 40th B'day. Fingers crossed will get some good photos.

Thanks again

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A tripod is not something to use at a wedding, in my opinion. You need to be able to move around freely, change from crouching to standing on chairs to get angles etc. A good tripod weighs a bit too, you will have enough to cart around. A tripod is also a great thing for guests to trip over ( you are getting public liability insurance?). If you want something to stabilise you while shooting at this wedding, consider a monopod, not a tripod. But my recommendation for weddings is to hand-hold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if you want my 2 cents worth, but I was reading an old Australian Photography mag (Jan 2012) this morning over breaky and in the APS Focus part, a photographer was talking about the Program setting on the camera.

"Some wedding photographers use this setting regularly as often they have little time to keep checking the settings to make sure things are going according to their carefully thought-out plan".

I thought that was interesting and it made sense, esp for a beginner who is probably so caught up with what is happening around them, the settings on the camera get forgotten about .... or vice versa, and you miss important stages and quick catches of memorable things happening. One thing she did say was to watch the angle of the camera and keep it level. Get down on a knee or get up high for low or high shots BUT KEEP IT LEVEL. Angling the camera throws the cameras capacity to judge distance into chaos and you will get distortion.

Just a thought.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast