User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First review I've seen for the Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di VC USD in Nikon mount

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First review I've seen for the Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di VC USD in Nikon mount

And unfortunately, not one to inspire a lot of confidence.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ta...2-8_Di_VC_USD/

Perhaps this was just a bad copy, but then that doesn't say a lot about Tamron's quality control.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen others that are even less flattering.

But something of note with respect to the perfomance of the Tammy v the Nikon VRII ... the Tammy images all look better at f/2.8but excluding the 200mm shot)

I reckon there's an issue with this copy of the Tammy at 200mm.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am now having a serious look at the Nikon 70-200mm f4.

It reviews very well, is a grand cheaper, has the latest incarnation of VR, and is lighter.

OK, I lose one 'f' stop and it doesn't have the 'Pro' build, but the Sigma 150mm f2.8 I have sits in the middle of it's range and should cover that need on most occasions.

One of my main requirements from this lens was the VR, and the f4 alternative will fill that requirement nicely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    I am now having a serious look at the Nikon 70-200mm f4.

It reviews very well, is a grand cheaper, has the latest incarnation of VR, and is lighter.

OK, I lose one 'f' stop and it doesn't have the 'Pro' build, but the Sigma 150mm f2.8 I have sits in the middle of it's range and should cover that need on most occasions.

One of my main requirements from this lens was the VR, and the f4 alternative will fill that requirement nicely.
    I like mine. It has decent build quality and great VR and takes a nice photo. It's also half the size and weight of its 2.8 cousin which means I tend to put it in the camera bag without having to think about it.
    -- Mister Q

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrQ View Post
    I like mine. It has decent build quality and great VR and takes a nice photo. It's also half the size and weight of its 2.8 cousin which means I tend to put it in the camera bag without having to think about it.
    Cheers MrQ.

The size and the VR are most appealing.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    And unfortunately, not one to inspire a lot of confidence.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ta...2-8_Di_VC_USD/

Perhaps this was just a bad copy, but then that doesn't say a lot about Tamron's quality control.
    Kevin, I would pay much if any attention to that "review" as the individual that did it is a bit of a gear head, self proclaimed "expert" who in reality has rather little photographic experience and even less lens technical knowledge.

On another forum where he was trying to present his "findings" on a new Nikon lens, a man who does happen to know a thing or two about Nikon lenses answered him directly with the words "of course, anyone can claim to being a lens reviewer"

I also wouldn't be worried about Tamrons quality control, no worse or no better overall than anyone else really when all is said and done.
    Mind you, your ideals with the Nikon F/4 version are to be admired as it does seem to be a very handy lens.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I reckon there's an issue with this copy of the Tammy at 200mm.
    I'm with you.
    The reality is that the "reviewer" is probably too busy measurebating over something else and forgot that minor triviality with that lens.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Andrew.

Firstly, the 70-200 f4 is no cheap alternative. At around $1257, grey market, (DWI) and without a tripod collar ($200) it is, I think, pretty expensive, and dearer than the Tamron and Sigma offerings. DWI have the Nikon f2.8 @ $1975.

The big attraction for me is the latest VR and 850gms, as opposed to around 1500gms for the f2.8's.

I can see it being a useful portrait lens, and also fulfilling my need for a walk-around lens as well.

I've had three Sigma lens (105/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 for Pentax, and now the 150/2.8) and all were excellent for my uses. I'm just trying to cut down the weight a bit, although @ $939 the Siggy 2.8 would leave me heaps of change for a set of dumbbells.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While for the most part, I agree with Andrew on this particular reviewer(his name is Tom on another forum) .. I still think his results may be true and correct for this particular lens .. and hence why I mentioned that this is almost certain to be a defect for his lens.

My older cheaper and supposedly less inferior T 70-200/2.8 definitely has better contrast and resolution than this test shows for this lens, and I highly doubt that Tamron would risk losing an increasingly strengthening reputation with such a lens too.

These things happen, and hopefully this one is an exception rather than a rule.

At the moment, I'm also thinking that at just under $2K the VRII appears to be the best value for money lens in this range .. even better than the currently too expensive 70-200/4.
    When the 70-200/4 comes down to 1K without collar and about $1100-1200 with, then I reckon it'll present better value for money.

That extra stop of light gathering power shouldn't be underestimated(I reckon).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need the tripod collar for the f4.

If you NEED f2.8 then the Tamron seems a good option, otherwise you should take a closer look at the Nikon f4. The convenience factor was what sold me on it.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need the tripod collar for the f4.
    Sorry MrQ but, if you intend to photograph other than hand held, think a landscape at 3 second exposure, then a tripod and a collar are something that you will definitely appreciate, if not NEED.

Perhaps you should think beyond purely what floats your boat the most and towards what others may do with their gear.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, I guess it is important to know that if I'm forking out around $1500 for a lens, the Tamron, I need to be assured that it doesn't have any problems, inherent or perceived.

And the more I look at the equation, the more I feel that the Nikon f4 is grossly overpriced in comparison to the f2.8 version.

My main requirement for this lens is to fill a gap in my line-up, specifically for a lens with VR, OS or whatever, in the 70-200mm range, with a tripod mount included.

I keep looking at the Sigma, under $1000, and the main gripe I've come across is that it is a little softer at the edges and corners than the two Nikons. Possibly won't be a problem with what I will use it for. It certainly doesn't seem to lose anything in comparison with the Tamron, and it's a lot less $'s.

So, we have these choices:

Nikon 70-200 f2.8 Around $2000..................... Undisputed as the best of the bunch
    Nikon 70-200 f4 Around $1600 with collar....... Cant justify the asking price, lose 1 'f' stop
    Tamron 70-200 f2.8 Around $1450 .................... Unknown quality
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Around $1000 .................. Can't find a lot of criticism other than it's not OEM (?)

I'm no rocket scientist, but the decision is starting to look like a 'no-brainer'.
    Last edited by Cage; 29-04-2013 at 10:59pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe some of us are a bit old fashioned, but a 180mm lens weighing nearly a kilo .... I reckon Nikon allowed the option of a tripod collar for a pretty good reason.

Maybe some folks don't need (or want) it .. but others do.

And on that topic, I doubt that Nikon's overpriced tripod collar would be as good as the high quality aftermarket versions that I'm sure will abound soon enough.

So on reflection Nikon's decision not to include one may even be a good thing.

I still reckon this lens is too expensive tho. Compare it to Canon's 70-200/4 pricing which is usually about $200 (or more) cheaper.

I think because this lens is still quite new, it probably has about $200 worth of discounting yet to come in the coming months or year.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Maybe some of us are a bit old fashioned, but a 180mm lens weighing nearly a kilo .... I reckon Nikon allowed the option of a tripod collar for a pretty good reason.

Maybe some folks don't need (or want) it .. but others do.

And on that topic, I doubt that Nikon's overpriced tripod collar would be as good as the high quality aftermarket versions that I'm sure will abound soon enough.

So on reflection Nikon's decision not to include one may even be a good thing.

I still reckon this lens is too expensive tho. Compare it to Canon's 70-200/4 pricing which is usually about $200 (or more) cheaper.

I think because this lens is still quite new, it probably has about $200 worth of discounting yet to come in the coming months or year.
    I agree totally Arthur.

I am one who does need a tripod collar. I use my tripod most of the time, my hands not being as steady as they were.

Dollar-wise, the Nikon f4 just doesn't add up. And I agree that it's price will probably drop, but then I'm not getting any younger either.

While it would be nice to have all the OEM gear, as an enthusiastic amateur I don't think I'll see any appreciable difference in my shots 95% of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigma 70-200/2.8 OS in my garage. Love it for what I do. Great value for money. It's a keeper for me until I win enough lotto
    Last edited by Epoc; 30-04-2013 at 12:07am.
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoc View Post
    ..... It's a keeper for me until I win enough lotto

Hey! Ian.
    You need to promise that if you do win lotto, one of your priorities in about 8 years time is to get the newly released(for when it comes)..... D7!
    (it'll complete your sig perfectly)
    Last edited by arthurking83; 30-04-2013 at 12:11am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done Arthur! Actually, I'm saving now for it

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoc View Post
    Sigma 70-200/2.8 OS in my garage. Love it for what I do. Great value for money. It's a keeper for me until I win enough lotto
    Cheers Ian.

And the operative words in your post being
    Love it for what I do
    My sentiments exactly.
    Last edited by Cage; 30-04-2013 at 12:20am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Sorry MrQ but, if you intend to photograph other than hand held, think a landscape at 3 second exposure, then a tripod and a collar are something that you will definitely appreciate, if not NEED.
    Do you not have a tripod mount on the bottom of your camera?

The 70-200 f/4 is the same length and weight as my 28-300mm lens - and I'm sure nobody would suggest you NEED a tripod collar for that one. It's also about the same weight as most of the DSLRs it's likely being attached to, so you're not preventing any stress on the lens mount by attaching the tripod to the lens instead of the camera body.

If you WANT a tripod collar for the f4 that's fine, but there really is no need to add it to the lens price when you're comparing it.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 70-200 f/4 is the same length and weight as my 28-300mm lens - and I'm sure nobody would suggest you NEED a tripod collar for that one. It's also about the same weight as most of the DSLRs it's likely being attached to, so you're not preventing any stress on the lens mount by attaching the tripod to the lens instead of the camera body.

If you WANT a tripod collar for the f4 that's fine, but there really is no need to add it to the lens price when you're comparing it.
    MrQ, that's what I love about this forum.

When you are having trouble seeing the forest for the trees, someone invariably gives you a nudge to wake you up.

What you say makes perfect sense. Hanging an 850gm lens off a camera and grip combo weighing around 1kg seems a smarter option than doing it the other way around.

I really do like the sound of the Nikon 70-200 f4 and it is back in the fray.

Cheers

Kevin
    Last edited by Cage; 30-04-2013 at 2:34pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. And they are there on each body we own for a good reason and that is to attach the body to a tripod (usually with a dedicated mounting plate ) when using shortish focal length lenses.

Actually stress points being aggravated by having a telephoto lens totally unsupported by anything other than the camera / lens mount wasn't in my mind when I typed about the need for a tripod collar on a long lens under certain scenarios but seeing as you brought it up ----

The lens in question has a ( manufacturers figures ) weight of 850g and the body we are considering mounting it to in this thread has a weight of approx 850g. That to me is a very similar weight for both unless I am very much mistaken.
    Now, when we go back a few years, in my case about 100 or so, since we were supposedly educated at school I distinctly remember the theory of leverage and the effects that the phenomenon has on the ability of reasonably short lengths of material to exert quite large forces upon other material depending on a thing called a fulcrum point.
    Strangely enough, when Nikon design their lenses and tripod collars ( sometimes better than others, sometimes much worse ) they manage to get the tripod foot / tripod matching point somewhere near a point of balance with an average body that would be used with that lens attached. That is, they design the whole shebang so that neither the body hanging off the lens or the lens hanging of the body will exert undue stress on the matching bit due to the leverage exerted by a fulcrum point that allows such leverage to be applied.

The first thing that Nikon service check when they have camera bodies with suspect focus issues is the lens mounting plate as it is the greatest cause of focus errors with Nikon bodies. The reason that it is so? Because people have mounted lenses on bodies and exerted too much pressure on the lens mount by either mounting the camera to a tripod with a long lens hanging off it, picking the camera up by the body when they have a long lens hanging off it or by otherwise stressing the mounting point.

It is not the actual weight of the lens alone that is the issue, it is how that weight is distributed when attached to a camera that causes damage.

See leverage and fulcrum points and the forces that can be multiplied when levering an object.
    See also how Nikon recommend that you handle and mount lenses and cameras.
    See also the writings of one guy who happens to know a little about lenses, cameras and science in general on the subject.

But I digress, my original recommendation for a dedicated tripod collar on a long lens was in relation to long to extreme length exposures and the effect that vibration can have on IQ. Vibration is a funny thing in that it can be both exaggerated and diminished by mounting points, leverage and the materials used in the construction of all parts of the equation, ie, camera body, lens, tripod mount collar, tripod head and the tripod itself.
    Common wisdom suggests that overall vibration is kept at bay best with cameras and long lenses when an appropriate mounting system is used that does not allow leverage to influence the results.

That is one very good reason that camera and lens manufacturers as well as dedicated mounting specialists such as Kirk and RRS produce tripod collars.

I wasn't adding it to the lens price and I am the last person that would be recommending that anyone should purchase the Nikon tripod foot for that lens when it can almost be guaranteed that the speciality mounting manufacturers will have a better option at a cheaper price on the market in good time.
    Last edited by I @ M; 30-04-2013 at 3:38pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast