User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please talk me out of doing it, it's a LOT of money.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post

Have we/they made up your mind yet?
    m.

I think this was a foregone conclusion before the thread appeared anyhow.

Like Adam said, as a hobbyist, this is more of an emotional aspiration, rather than a scientific/calculated/business decision.

Nothing wrong with the emotional/hobbyist aspect of a decision like this .. LOL mine was! ... but it also has to be said, my decision had nothing to do with any advantage for landscapes .. more so for shallower DOF with full frame capable lenses(oh! and the ability to shoot some quality video too).

As long as you can understand why you're doing something, and how it offers advantages over your current setup, it's almost certain to be money well spent.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife may have found a way to say 'no' without actually saying it. She has never said no to any financial decision, she normally leaves those to me (like I said, so she can blame me if it goes wrong). But she just dropped the biggest bombshell ever. She has been a nurse at our hospital for 30 years. She came home the other night and said she'd been offered a job with one of the surgeons in his private practice, because he needs her skills with casts and plastering. I didn't think much about it because he could only give her permanent part-time, and she knows he can't begin to match what she gets from the hospital.
    I guess I was wrong - at very least wrong about how much she hates her current job - she went and had a look at the surgeon's practice today, loves the people working there, has been offered a few extra incentives including one of the corporate carparking places, and a rate of pay way higher than she's supposed to get for her qualification, and she's decided she has no choice but to take the bull by the horns and go for it. The extra work she'll need to find, in order to make up the lost income being part time, will come in the form of extra work for another surgeon who is some relative of one of the people in this practice but has his own separate one elsewhere, who will apparently give her work for the afternoons she isn't working. but that has yet to be finalised. So until it is, we're likely to be down a chunk of her pay. However, that said, with 10 weeks annual leave, plus 3 months long service leave now having to be paid out in a lump sum to her, which should more than clear the money owing on her car, and with one of my loans paying out next week, we may actually end up better off. So it's probable that there will only be a short delay while we see how the dust settles with these changes, and probably be better off in many ways - not the least will be a happier wife now in a job she likes.

So the plan is still on, but I now have to take a few extra weeks to follow through, but that's just extra time for research. My intention is to go in and hold both a 6D and a 5DIII and see if either of them have that "it's an extension of me" feel to them, and maybe use that in making the decision, and I'll also take a look at the various lens alternatives you've come up with. So this WILL happen, it just will happen a little more slowly with even more research put in than I'd already started to put in.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    ... - at very least wrong about how much she hates her current job - .... , and probably be better off in many ways - not the least will be a happier wife now in a job she likes.
    You're way better off, and you still have a camera that takes photos.
    Good luck Mrs Ez.. You won't regret it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1
    (to what Mark said).

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hobbies cost money. It really depends on how much you are willing / can afford to spend on your hobby. The canon gear you mention in your opening post is top gear, and you will only have yourself to blame if your hobby does not improve in quality.

If you are like me and compromise, it is a short term and eventually you succumb to the temptation. My opinion is if you can afford the gear then why not buy it. Masserati does not make you a better driver but hell if I could afford one I would buy it.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just do it! Money comes and goes no matter how hard you try and hang onto it. If you don't spend the 10k on camera gear, you will probably get hit with a 10k phone bill or some crazy karma sheet like that.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ don't I know it.
    Any time we've had any kind of money put aside for something special, it gets used on everyday boring stuff anyway. But we always find the money for the everyday boring stuff anyway, so it's not like using this will send me bankrupt.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    ^ don't I know it.
    ...it gets used on everyday boring stuff anyway...
    Same here, and even the other day I went out looking into Li-ion drills!
    m.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am!

the drills themselves aren't Li-Ion. The batteries are

And as per the advice given to EZ in this thread .. just do it!

- - - Updated - - -

Am!

the drills themselves aren't Li-Ion. The batteries are

And as per the advice given to EZ in this thread .. just do it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Epic thread is EPIC!

D800 + some fast glass??
    Cartel Imagery
    Flickr

Nikon D7000
    Sony a65
    Canon 5D MKII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as previously stated...
    get the best glass to do the job - then the best camera you can afford. second-hand FF if you have to. I always choose the glass first and then find a camera to support it.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny6teen View Post
    as previously stated...
    get the best glass to do the job - then the best camera you can afford. second-hand FF if you have to. I always choose the glass first and then find a camera to support it.
    So do you now spend more on the glass if you already have the camera to support it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123