User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please talk me out of doing it, it's a LOT of money.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ezookiel, Have you spoken to William? as he and Joel (JSP) purchased the 6D, might be worth seeking his opinion, as Will shot predominantly APS-C.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a 5DIII and the 2 'L' lenses you mentioned are costing $10k, you need to shop elsewhere. They can be had with more than $3k change from that $10k.
    I'm a gear head, I won't try and talk you out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at a school ball send off the other day...everyone there had a camera of some description...when all the group..about 30 young people lined up in front of two stretch hummers end to end ..i heard a few people echoing each other that they couldn't fit the whole scene in ..I thought smugly to myself that I could with my full frame beast..that sense of one upmanship was worth every cent of the $10,000 investment....

( truth) if you want to quantify expenditure over need..you will be on a hiding to nothing as far as photography is concerned ....( a sage reply ) "if the want...gets the better of the need or afford..then you will have your 5dIII and lenses young grasshopper"

anyway buy a Nikon..you will be much happier...nikon come with a money back gurantee that you will never concern yourself with the cost ever again...Just ask Wayne ....
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 28-04-2013 at 10:16am.
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $10k was a big ballpark figure.
    I expected a lot of change. I got the figure by putting the items in a basket at Teds Cameras website, knowing that walking in gets a much better deal, and shopping around an even better one again.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    .. ..i heard a few people echoing each other that they couldn't fit the whole scene in ..I thought smugly to myself that I could with my full frame beast..that sense of one upmanship was worth every cent of the $10,000 investment....

Yeah, but what exactly is it about a full frame camera that gets the entire scene in one shot that you can't achieve with an APS-C camera?
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Yeah, but what exactly is it about a full frame camera that gets the entire scene in one shot that you can't achieve with an APS-C camera?
    The Nikon 14-24. and before you say Sigma 8-16 or sum thin, they play in a different iq league, which is important in landscapeography.
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In theory, the same lens on an APS-C and on a FF camera, SHOULD get more of the scene in on the FF, as there's more of the sensor on all sides, but I'm only going by what I've read and heard, not personal experience. But if I do buy either of these, I'll be more than happy to take the shot with both the 60D and the new 6D/5DIII and compare the two for you all.
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 28-04-2013 at 6:06pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it will. For the same (compatible) lens you'll get a larger field of view on a FF camera then on an APS cam.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just entered a comp (not a photography one) with the 5DIII as a prize - drawn end of May. With my luck I'll win it just after I buy one
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 28-04-2013 at 6:54pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollo View Post
    The Nikon 14-24. and before you say Sigma 8-16 or sum thin, they play in a different iq league, which is important in landscapeography.
    Not sure a 14-24 fits on a 5D Mk III
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Not sure a 14-24 fits on a 5D Mk III
    100 MPH Tape, although , the AF may be affected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon users wish the Nikkor 14-24 would fit on their bodies.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    There are adapters that allows you to use it on Canon bodies with aperture control.

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/fot...50d-1000d.html

http://www.16-9.net/nikon_g/
    Last edited by jjphoto; 28-04-2013 at 11:06pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats wrong with the canon 16-35 II f/2.8L lens?, and Canon users don't have to worry about the 14-24 the 16-35 pretty much covers the 14-24 and gives you a bit extra too, unless I'm missing something.

Also Ezookiel, don't buy the Canon 24-70 save some $$ and buy the Tamron 24-70, I was looking at buying the canon until I read a lot of different reviews on the net, then decided to go with the Tamron 24-70
    so far it has been a great lens.

- - - Updated - - -

Whats wrong with the cannon 16-35 II f/2.8L lens?, and Cannon don't have to worry about the 14-24 the 16-35 pretty much covers the 14-24 and gives you a bit extra too, unless I'm missing something.

Also Ezookiel, don't buy the Canon 24-70 save some $$ and buy the Tamron 24-70, I was looking at buying the canon until I read a lot of different reviews on the net, then decided to go with the Tamron 24-70
    so far it has been a great lens.
    Last edited by Gonk0; 28-04-2013 at 11:49pm. Reason: fixed spelling

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lenses you mention are not exclusive to ff cameras and work perfectly well on a crop body. Get the lenses then after you use them for a while look at updating the body if you still want to. I seem to be one of the few that doesn't believe that ff body's are a must have item, for my use a crop body is an advantage.
    Cheers
    Keith.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went crop to full frame and am now back to crop. Much of a muchness to me. Some lenses I will agree suit full frame more. Like your short fast primes. Some lenses suit crop. Anything over 85mm I love on crop. 180mm macro = almost a 300mm macro. Love it. Either way.

In regards to your situation and the two discussed lenses. I would rather a 17-55mm 2.8 with IS anyways and then id prefer the 70-200 on crop. So to me, no brainer, 7d or 60d would be perfect.
    Using a 7d or a s95
    Advice and Edits welcome
    http://adamrose.wordpress.com/ [/CENTER]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a 5D mk iii only last week (upgrade from 7D) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! The high Iso capability blows me away!! Do it I say, you only live once
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's be realistic here. You're saying "Please talk me out of this" but what you really mean is "Please tell me I'm making the right purchase and give me a justification to help me convince my partner this is really in the interests of world peace, international freedom, saving the poor, helping feed the third world etc".

You're forgetting that there are two things at hand:

1. You're a professional photographer, in which case this decision is a no brainer, buy the best you can afford and forget the justification.

2. You're a hobby photographer, in which case, you don't really need this but you want it. Photography, like any hobby, is an emotional sell. If you don't buy it, you'll regret not doing it. If you do buy it, you'll feel guilty about the money you've spent on yourself.

I tend to look at it like this:

When I bought my gear, I figured it was a long term investment in our future. I did the sums on my gear and at $10K all up, it equated to about $2000/year (maybe more if I upgrade my body at some time but the lenses should last at least that long) or about $5 per day. I spend $5 per day on coffee without flinching so why should producing amazing family photos which last a lifetime be worth any less than that? I have photos of my daughters that are mind blowing (by my standards). These I couldn't replace or certainly couldn't have achieved with my previous rig.

So yes, I didn't need the gear, but looking back, there isn't a family photo I can look at and say, I would have accepted something worse.

Sure it's not a real justification, but if our politicians can justify some of the crap they spend our tax money on, then this flies for me.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Missionman, you're a mind-reader.
    Pretty much sums it all up for me.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zook. This thread has become worse than Norse saga. Can you tell me in just a few words what we're (speaking for yourself) doing?
    Do we buy, or not?

Have we/they made up your mind yet?
    m.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast