Though this is not perfect, it serves a purpose to show how an uncalibrated monitor can affect how you see a photo.

The below are two photographs of monitors, the top one is my uncalibrated laptop monitor, and the bottom one is my calibrated desktop monitor

When we, photographers, talk about calibrating our screens/monitors, we are talking about setting our screens to a known standard, so that when we view someone else's photos we can be reasonably sure what we look at is VERY close to what the photographer intended. Uncalibrated monitors can result in something completely different.

I processed this photo with a warm black and white filter that gave it an almost sepia look, but the uncalibrated monitor shows none of that warmth, rather leaving the photo looking a cool blue.

As I said, the methods I used to capture these screen shots was not an exact science, but it serves the purpose of showing how dramatically differently the same photo can appear, when viewed between a calibrated and an un-calibrated monitor.

Do you calibrate your screen? Maybe it is something you should consider doing?

example.jpg