User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Hitech V Lee ND Filter system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Hitech V Lee ND Filter system

Hi Guys, A friend has invested in the Lee Big stopper and other filters and has produced some amazing landscape shots!

I now have filter envy and am looking to buy one. However, very $$$$.

The Hitech system seems to be very similar and cheaper.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these systems before I do some damage on my plastic!

Thanks

Ann
    See more at www.annpinnockphotography.com.au
    Sony A7R, Zeiss FE55 1.8, Zeiss FE16-35mm 4.0, Sony 28-70mm, Metabones Nikon convertor, Nikkor ED 70-300mm, Tamron 90mm Macro, Tripod, Lee Seven5 Filters, PS, LR,

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need any filter system that takes 100mm filters, so you can get the Cokin Z-Pro system, and then buy Lee filters to fit it.

I use the Cokin Z holder and a mix of Cokin and Lee filters
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lee filters are better than the hitechs, the hitechs have a fairly strong colour cast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lee = expensive, but buy once buy right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive always been happy with my Hoya ND100
    Using a 7d or a s95
    Advice and Edits welcome
    http://adamrose.wordpress.com/ [/CENTER]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a couple of landscape togs that have gotten hi-tech filters, and have reported a magenta cast, but never once for Lee filters.

That said, some of AP's better photographers use Cokin filters exclusively. (William and myself included in that list)

Colour casting isn't really that much of an issue with todays software. It's really quite a simple process to remove a cast.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    I know a couple of landscape togs that have gotten hi-tech filters, and have reported a magenta cast, but never once for Lee filters.

That said, some of AP's better photographers use Cokin filters exclusively. (William and myself included in that list)

Colour casting isn't really that much of an issue with todays software. It's really quite a simple process to remove a cast.
    A bit of investigation some time back by AP members had us thinking the colour cast is a white balance issue rather than an actual problem with the filters. The colour cast did not exist all the time, and if it was the filters, it should. What we ended up surmising was that under certain light conditions the camera made a mistake in choosing the WB setting, which resulted in a colour cast. We also found that Canon cameras tended to me more prone to it. So yes, the colour cast could be instigated by something about the filter manufacturing process, but it was only an issue under a set series of conditions that all had to align to result in the magenta cast that is sometimes seen. We believe it is a combination of filter, light conditions and camera white balance calculation methods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    A bit of investigation some time back by AP members had us thinking the colour cast is a white balance issue rather than an actual problem with the filters. The colour cast did not exist all the time, and if it was the filters, it should. What we ended up surmising was that under certain light conditions the camera made a mistake in choosing the WB setting, which resulted in a colour cast. We also found that Canon cameras tended to me more prone to it. So yes, the colour cast could be instigated by something about the filter manufacturing process, but it was only an issue under a set series of conditions that all had to align to result in the magenta cast that is sometimes seen. We believe it is a combination of filter, light conditions and camera white balance calculation methods.
    Interesting.

I never really thought about it like that. Personally, I only use 1 whitebalance setting - Daylight. Any changes to that I do in post. (unless I'm shooting in a theater for the duration of a show)

I've found that my Cokins' don't cast so badly if I don't stack them. These days I only use the ND8 grad and/or Singh-ray Vari-ND

The Vari ND will throw a magenta cast with the cokin ND8

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lee are about 5 times the price as apposed to the Hitech. Having said that, you do in some way have to expect the Lee to outweigh the image quality of the Hitech

As mentioned above, "Buy once. buy right" probably a good policy to stand by in this instance.

Are you looking at buying online or from an Aussie retail store?

Eitherway, i'm sure you will get to the right decision. Hopefully for the right price that suits your needs.
    Daniel Thompson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Canon 7D & 5D Mark II : 24-70mm f2.8L : 70-200mm f2.8L IS II : 17-40mm f4L : CANON EF 100MM F2.8 MACRO L IS USM: 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM : 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS : 50mm f1.8 : 430EX II & 580EX II External Speedlites : Manfrotto 190X PROB + 804RC2 head : Lee CPL, ND and GND filter system : Lee Big Stopper : CS6 Photoshop : PS Elements 11 : PS Lightroom 5 Tightly packed into a Lowepro Pro Runner 450

Follow me on FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/GreenOrchardPhotography