User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double Yellow Lines or Double White Lines?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well before I had a licence I have vague recollections of yellow lines here in Vic. In the last 40 years i've only seen 'em in backward places like NSW & USA.
    Graham.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geecee View Post
    Well before I had a licence I have vague recollections of yellow lines here in Vic. In the last 40 years i've only seen 'em in backward places like NSW & USA.
    So you're saying that when you put your car in reverse, the lines turn yellow?
    Hmm!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why they went from double yellow lines to white yellow lines. On a rainy day the white ones aren't all that visible.

It's not uncommon to still hear an older person say "I was coming home last night and some idiot overtook me over double yellow lines".

- - - Updated - - -

Just another titbit of information.

I do remember in the late 60's a concerted effort and campaign to change school children's raincoats from black to yellow.

My first yellow raincoat was in primary school and it was a very thick yellow vinyl that had black felt around the collar to try and assuage how deep the collar cut into your skin!

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's a worry ! Mongo had not even noticed the change of colour. To him , the lines mean the same thing if they are white or yellow. Perhaps one colour is better than the other in different weather conditions but, in some states of Australia, the weather conditions do not change significantly enough such that there is any difference to whether white or yellow is used. However, if there are places in Australia where the weather conditions do make a difference in the visibility depending on colour used, then, for the sake of those places and for the sake of CONSISTENCY anywhere in Australia for drivers, they should pick the colours that work best in those affected areas and use them throughout Australia.

It would be probably a lot quicker to make the roads safer by just getting Mongo and his tricycle off the roads.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Geoff, you're a powet and you don't knowet!

- - - Updated - - -

Yep AM and two more legs and I'd be a goat.

Stole that one from my Dad's repertoire of bad jokes.

Join the club, Rick. I think we've been hit with (a) mace.
    Geoff Portbury owns,

EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon the yellow lines were easier to see at night, and especially in the rain.

Why don't they put some reflective stuff in their paint?
    Then it wouldn't matter what colour they were.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NEWS FLASH:
    Due to overwhelming demand, the "govverment" is going to roll out YELLOW BRICK ROADS all over OZ.
    (The funds have suddenly materialised through some fiscal wizardry on the part of the treasurer.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to Mt Hotham today.. Here is the start of the snow line..

DSC_3687.jpg
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the yellow lines are used in the NSW snowys... As a side note, what about a change in colour for school zones? That way you will know when they start and when they end and if they apply to the side streets you turn into. I know there are signs at the start and end but what if they are obstructed or stolen? There are croc teeth at the start but not at the end. If the lines are a different colour then you will know for the whole zone. There are broken yelow on the side for clearways.
    Mat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] K-x, Sigma 18 - 125, Vivitar 100 - 300, RICOH KR10Super & KR10M (film), Filters, Tubes
    Flickr, RedBubble, Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my memory serves me correctly, my Brother-in-law, an engineer for the RTA at the time. Had told me the switch to white paint was due to cost. The yellow paint was frightfully expensive, but it was to be kept in those areas mentioned previously. Around the Central Tablelands on NSW we get fog and snow during winter/spring but we don't have yellow-lines any-more. Even around Canberra I think they have white lines.

I suppose the road authority(s) have gone to white lines, ...... but how did we ever drive & survive with-out the "cat-eyes" to enhance the centre line and road edges?
    5D Mk II, 500D, 17-40mm L, 24-105mm L , Benro Tripod and selection of ND & Grad LEE Filters

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth getting to."
    - Annon

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
    Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12