User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: apologies for the delay with comps tonight

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

apologies for the delay with comps tonight

my apologies to all for the slow competition change over this evening.

I am without Internet access except via my tablet and a 3g connection, so it took a bit longer than I usually take using a laptop.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries, I'm sure most of us have suffered that inconvenience at some point

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    at present I am running an old Win ME laptop with 512gb ram to get online, just started a windows fresh install on my usually used laptop as I try and get it running. Looks like I have had some sort of virus attack, but scanning with a variety of tools finds nothing. Slowly the system files on my computers are disappearing..mainly DLL files.

I scanned the system with microsoft security essential, malware bytes and glary utilities and they found nothing untoward, but something is going on.

I do weekly backups so have decided to format the HDD and do a fresh install, then check the files in my backup and copy them back in batches to monitor it as it gets restored. If that resolves my laptop, then I will repeat the whole thing on my desktop. Hopefully catching whatever little bug it is, along the way. But it certainly concerns me that even with all the protection I have, that something has gotten through, and appears to be undetectable (or it was yesterday).

The first thing I noticed was that my internet went down, and try as I might, I could not get it running. Then suddenly my home network, became a public network, and I could not change it back. Then I started getting services errors related to the network connection, which is when I realised DLL files were going missing.

At least I am fairly PC confident and happy (ish) to be able to fix this myself. I feel for the people who have no idea, and get stuck with a destructive virus.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another free scan to try http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispyware.html
    Probably better than malware bytes, though they pick up different things.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks Mark. I am up and running again. Was a lovely little trojan that is 'very new'. Apparently most anti-virus software did not include definitions for it, till today.

Nasty little fellow, he slowly deleted DLL files and other system files that firstly destroyed me access to the net by compromising the network settings in my computer, followed by printer access and then all the bookmarks etc stored in browsers. So if I had left it, eventually he would have chewed his way through all manner of files.

But I am back up and running..and he is GONE!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that would be the main reason that I shifted from being an avid Windows user to a Mac user in 2001. Life is way to short to be wasting time dealing with all of the idiots who want to spend their time bringing down Windows computers/and or servers. Blessed has the peace been since I shifted to Mac OSX

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathy View Post
    And that would be the main reason that I shifted from being an avid Windows user to a Mac user in 2001. Life is way to short to be wasting time dealing with all of the idiots who want to spend their time bringing down Windows computers/and or servers. Blessed has the peace been since I shifted to Mac OSX
    am glad you are happy, but no way I am ever owning another apple product. I refuse to support a company that goes to Court and sues anyone who tries to be inventive in the tech world today.