User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: New member retention

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New member retention

Now that I don't have the loading and posting problems with the site that I did (thanks Kym and Rick) and I can really enjoy what the site and the members have to offer, I have noticed that there's a lot of new members join up, make the trouble of posting an introduction post and that's about it......we never hear from the majority again.

I'm sure the mods must have discussed this, but is there anything that can be done to increase the % rate of retaining new members who sign up long enough that they can see what the site has to offer and therefore become longer standing and more fruitful members not only for themselves, but for the forum community as a whole?
    f o t o w o r x

People taking the time out to give me CC is always very much appreciated

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some, I'd say, Jim. I dunno about the majority. It would be interesting if the mods have any figures on this.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Sunrise Chaser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ricks got figures , Pretty sure I've seen them previously , A lot just want to lurk
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    happens on all forums. People join up to 'get' some information, but are not really wanting to 'give' back. They search the net, find we have what they want, join, get it, move on.

No different to real life. How many kids go to the local school, and how many parents are on the P&F? Then how many of those on the P&F turn up to everything, put their hand up to be Secretary etc.

I send out a member newsletter (which I need to do again soon) and watch the online numbers jump back up.
    Last edited by ricktas; 18-04-2013 at 5:29pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick is right, not only photography forums, I run 2 motorcycling and i aviavtion forum, and it is the same there.

What probably makes AP standout is the requirement for participation or you end up inactive. I think that it turns alot of people off once it happens to them once or twice, but I think it isn't a bad thing. those who are always inactive are not contributing anything anyway, so there is no real loss to the rest of the community.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But active new (and old) users take heart. Your contributions are appreciated.
    Ultimately there are two camps: 1. you do what/and when you can, and 2. you don't give much of a hoot.
    (The latter are not of the owl family.)
    Me, I like reading new users' intro posts. I can't always answer them, but...
    Am(persisting).

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post

I'm sure the mods must have discussed this, but is there anything that can be done to increase the % rate of retaining new members who sign up long enough that they can see what the site has to offer and therefore become longer standing and more fruitful members not only for themselves, but for the forum community as a whole?
    The other side of the coin is the loss of members that have been active and then just stop.
    Doubt there's a solution to making people become active and if they do, not eventually becoming inactive.
    Such is life and how it changes.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S, Sigma 120-400, a speedlite, a tripod, a monopod, a remote release and a padded bag to carry things in.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    The other side of the coin is the loss of members that have been active and then just stop.
    Doubt there's a solution to making people become active and if they do, not eventually becoming inactive.
    Such is life and how it changes.
    For many, photography is a hobby and sometimes life gets in the way, people come and go all the time. I used to have concern when someone who had been active on the site faded away, but after years of doing this, I see people come and go all the time, just as they change jobs, towns, houses. I focus on those that are active now.

We never close a member's account unless they specifically ask us to. Any member who has ever joined AP is quite able to use their account, even if they have not done so for 5 years or more. The account is still sitting there. (unless they have been banned as a spammer, or for site rule breaches)

The inactive status is there for several reasons, the main ones being:

1. only active members can enter/vote on our competitions and win any prizes on offer. I would much rather give prizes to active contributors than to those who don't participate, except to enter comps.

2. only active members can access the Constructive Critique forums. One of the main reasons behind this is to ensure only those truly interested in photography and improving their own skills can see other members photos. Theft of images over the web is rampant and if we can ensure only active site members can see the AP members photos, hopefully we are providing as much peace of mind and protection of your photos as we can.

The inactive system is not perfect, but it does ensure we reward active site members.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very interesting discussion, unfortunately there is no one size fits all answer. This site can be though of as a town or city, where the people are diverse yet have a fundamental interest in photography. What they photograph is very different, some focus on the technical other on the art and other on the hardware. People drift in and out others stay a while and contribute, form friendships go to meets learn new things get encouragement to try different genera document, create and interact. On this site there is a lot of material different strands or forums and good sponsors. What I like most is it is engaging. There may be some ideas on keeping new members especially beginners by having something like an on line structured course where they can submit photos as part of assignments or challenges. As they get better and more skilled they can be encouraged to help others. This keeps the site active.

Kind Regards
    Livio

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts were more along the new members that sign up, go to the bother of writing a few paragraphs for an intro and you check their user status in a few weeks or a month and they are at post count 1.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    My thoughts were more along the new members that sign up, go to the bother of writing a few paragraphs for an intro and you check their user status in a few weeks or a month and they are at post count 1.
    At the 30 day mark, they get a reminder if they have not posted again.It is emailed to them:

Dear {username}.

You have not posted anything on http://AusPhotography.net.au for {reminder} days - we miss you!

Please note your account will become inactive after {inactive} days of not interacting
    and then have reduced privileges.

The inactive accounts cannot access to the following sections:
    member photos, competitions, poll voting, classifieds and the Gallery.

To keep privileges active for your account please login and post to one of the forums
    (excluding Out of Focus, Site Matters, and the Test Zone)
    Last edited by ricktas; 19-04-2013 at 10:33am.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People join have a look and decide its not for them. No problem with that.
    AP is provided free of charge and is heavy on rewarding participation; which is good.

Most forums have a large number of non contributing browse users and a few active users.
    This is normal, we just reward the active ones moreso.

Personally, I'd rather a smaller active positive community than a bigger one with infrequent problem children; as happens elsewhere.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a couple of members who said "WOW" first time they joined up. Thought, this is great. Participated for a short time. Then family, work, and other time commitments eventually took over.
    The site is not broken, nor is it boring. You can't even blame Rick's hard arsed rules. It's just a fact that people are either committed or not.

I've been involved in many volunteer groups. And the same applies. You look at some companies, and their retention rate, and it wouldn't be much different. I work at a place that has over 400 employees, and you can see it happening there. Although it's a great place to work, and the amount of employees that leave is quiet low. It still happens, no matter what carrot is dangled in front of them.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For myself, I have enjoyed the site even though in the time I've been a member I have only posted 3 photos because I was to slack to sit down and learn how to do it and when I did I had my son helping. I'm also not happy with the quality of my secondhand HP L1706 Monitors. I still have to learn to PP more photos for posting which I now have to relearn. On top of that I have not even been able to get to my Camera club or get out to take photos due to new family issues that are not going to be resolved quickly. Considering all the commitments and expectations placed on individuals lives these days I can sympathize with those who would love to spend more time here. Evan while typing this post I am being called for tea. So take heart everyone don't be discouraged just keep doing what you can to encourage others to get back on. Think this makes sense? please excuse the lack of punctuations, one finger typing oh tea time Bye

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well put, good post
    I should not matter how much or how little we post we are ALL united in the love of a hobby called Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by ROA44 View Post
    For myself, I have enjoyed the site even though in the time I've been a member I have only posted 3 photos because I was to slack to sit down and learn how to do it and when I did I had my son helping. I'm also not happy with the quality of my secondhand HP L1706 Monitors. I still have to learn to PP more photos for posting which I now have to relearn. On top of that I have not even been able to get to my Camera club or get out to take photos due to new family issues that are not going to be resolved quickly. Considering all the commitments and expectations placed on individuals lives these days I can sympathize with those who would love to spend more time here. Evan while typing this post I am being called for tea. So take heart everyone don't be discouraged just keep doing what you can to encourage others to get back on. Think this makes sense? please excuse the lack of punctuations, one finger typing oh tea time Bye
    My adventures with and