Thread: Bondi Rescue episode that aired Mar. 17, 2013

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktaduck View Post
    I found , somewhere in all the blogs and chatter regarding this OP a very good read.

Taking Photographs 'In Public': What's lawful and what's not?
    written by Professor Mark Davidson and Mr Tobias Gattineau

http://www.ccp.org.au/docs/Davison-Legal-Manual.pdf

Thanks for the link.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously, that LG was so full of himseff he thought a quick Bondi solution would fix the "problem". It probably didn't, and he may still be there.
    (Gsp!)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktaduck
    Taking Photographs 'In Public': What's lawful and what's not?
    written by Professor Mark Davidson and Mr Tobias Gattineau
    Just read Scenario 1f) as Lance suggested. Would it be the same if it was "John" not "Penny" taking the images? I do know that the law is the law. But is it same for men as it is for women? And could it be that men have less rights than females? That's why, in my age bracket (40 - 60) I'm very weary of taking people images.
    Last edited by geoffsta; 17-04-2013 at 8:15pm.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have written to SLSA regarding this. Lets see what happens!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that there are restrictions when taking photos at the beach (or any public place) where children are concerned but thats about it. I saw the episode and had the same thought at the time. Yes he walked right upto the girls and blantantly took a photo. Poor form? Yes, does the LS have the right tell him to leave the beach, not sure, take and destroy is memory card. Definitely not. What other images did the guy lose because of this?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
    My understanding is that there are restrictions when taking photos at the beach (or any public place) where children are concerned but thats about it. I saw the episode and had the same thought at the time. Yes he walked right upto the girls and blantantly took a photo. Poor form? Yes, does the LS have the right tell him to leave the beach, not sure, take and destroy is memory card. Definitely not. What other images did the guy lose because of this?
    No there are not. There are no laws in Australia that relate to age when photographing in public. If you are in public you should expect to be photographed. There is ZERO related to the age of the subject.

He walked up and was not trying to hide, or do it secretly.. I would be more worried about the person in the carpark behind a dark glass in a car with a telephoto, than someone who is open and up front about what they are doing.
    Last edited by ricktas; 17-04-2013 at 9:19pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    No there are not. There are no laws in Australia that relate to age when photographing in public. If you are in public you should expect to be photographed. There is ZERO related to the age of the subject.
    Interesting I thought I read something different. What you say makes sense though

He walked up and was not trying to hide, or do it secretly.. I would be more worried about the person in the carpark behind a dark glass in a car with a telephoto, than someone who is open and up front about what they are doing.
    I agree.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    Just read Scenario 1f) That's why, in my age bracket (40 - 60) I'm very weary of taking people images.
    You and me both.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be very interesting to read their reply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No response yet I suppose Rick?
    Hi I'm Mark - See me on Flikr or Google+
    Feel free to make comments or give me advice.. also to add me to your social network
    Using Canon 650D and Lenses: Canon EF 85mm 1.8, EF 50mm 1.8, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from the council website private photography ok only commercial need permits
    http://www.waverley.nsw.gov.au/thing...lic_open_space

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktaduck View Post
    No response yet I suppose Rick?
    Got an email saying my email would be forwarded to the appropriate person for a response..and nothing since.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just the views expressed on this thread shows the perceptions held by different people with a lot lacking on anything factual. Even the individual police officers with all their training interpret the "rules" in varying degrees of acuraccy. Little doubt the general public don't understand the letter of the law. Hence the gungho attitude of a few individuals. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you expect, Brian? We live more in a EWEtopia than Utopia. Facts? How do we know them? Media? The pub? Your best friend?
    Am(often wondering).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd bet if two women were breast feeding, they would be asked to cover up
    Aint that the truth!
    D800 Nikon 70-200 VR II, Nikon 105 2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4,
    Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be really interesting to see if Rick gets a reply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lifeguards on the show are Waverly council employees not SLSA staff so I'm not sure if the response will be correct even if you get one. I know Waverly council implemented a series of local laws restricting photography which caused a fuss a few years ago in response to the whole photographing of kids thing and I'm not sure if the lifeguards have the same powers as a council ranger in that regard.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks Warus, got this response from SLSA today, confirming what you have stated:

Please be advised that Bondi Rescue has nothing to do with Surf Life Saving Australia.

Our surf life savers are unpaid volunteers who patrol on weekends and public holidays. They wear the iconic red and yellow uniform.

Bondi Rescue lifeguards wear the blue uniform and are paid professional lifeguards. They are employees of Waverly Council. Their professional association is called the Australian Professional Ocean Lifeguard Association (APOLA).

It is a common mistake that a lot of people make as they assume we are one in the same however we are two separate organisations.

Your best bet to have your concerns addressed is to contact Waverly Council who employ the Bondi Rescue Lifeguards: http://www.waverley.nsw.gov.au/

Alternatively you could go to the lifeguards parent organisation: http://www.apola.asn.au/

Or if you want a statement aired then perhaps contact Channel 10 who are responsible for the broadcast: http://ten.com.au/tvshows/bondirescue.htm

Surf Life Saving Australia makes it very clear to our volunteer surf life savers that photography in a public place is perfectly legal and that they have no right to confiscate or attempt to confiscate a photographer’s camera or equipment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12