Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bondi Rescue episode that aired Mar. 17, 2013

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bondi Rescue episode that aired Mar. 17, 2013

Anyone else watch this and remember the lifeguard cutting up the guys Compact flash disc?

I only watched it last night, my wife taped it last month.

This is what happened. An Asian guy with a Canon dSLR took some photos of some topless girls sunbaking in the middle of the sand. The lifeguard saw this happen, demanded the guys camera and then verbally went off at him, took the CF card out and walked to his dune buggy lifeguard thingo and took out a pair of shears and proceeded to cut the CF card in half.

Now I'm not condoning the 'tog, but the girls were in a public space.....but I wouldn't have thought the lifeguard had the right to do what he did either.

Interested to see what others thought who watched it.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I didn't watch it. Just as well, I think. I might have boiled!
    Talk of being an upstart! Why doesn't he stick to more traditional duties?
    (Lifeguards of AP, there's no malice here.)

What happened to the unsuspecting tourist?
    I had a parallel incident with some ticket inspectors - actually, just one of the two - on a train a 2ple of years ago.
    This, instead of duly checking validity of tickets, took to commenting on the age suitability of the ticketholder.
    Really left field!!!

Upshot: letter of apology and loss of job.
    Am.
    PS: I don't think I would particularly condone what the tourist did - nor decry it much either.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    he doesnt have the right to do it. It is vandalism to someone's private property. My guess is that no-one has decided to take these sorts of things further and take them to court.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did'nt see it either , Not condoning what the tourist did , But it would have been easier to delete the images from the card , In camera if it was a problem, Or wrong , I think there are some rules about taking photo's between the red and yellow flags , Which gives them some powers, Again I think, I'm open as well to anybody that has knowledge on this , I would'nt have taken the shot , But I'll take a heap of Bikini shots
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good way to get TV ratings. The Lifegurad seems to have let his life saving expertise extend beyond the realms of his duties and now he thinks he has the right to inflict his beliefs on all aspects of life. A case of a little authority going too far and trying to big note himself on TV, the sort of white knight hero if you like. I don't condone what the tourist has done, but the lifeguard way overstepped his mark. The fact of the matter is, it is a public place and these women have decided to put their breasts on view, so they can't be too concerned with people seeing them let alone taking photographs of them. Quite bizarre really. Was the tourist actually tking photos of them in close up to get his jollies, which is probably not the best thing to do, or were they taken from a distance in a wider angle shot with the beach as context in an effort to depict to his fellow countrymen back home that there are topless bathers on some Aussie beaches. Big difference and in the latter it seems that the women's rights to bare breasts outweigh a photographer's rights to take photos. A little topsy turvey in my books.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did a Google search to see if I could find a clip of it. I did find a thread on Redbubble about the same episode -

http://www.redbubble.com/groups/redb...-gets-it-wrong

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a link to a YouTube video of the incident.

The part with the 'tog starts at 4.06 minutes in -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfP5HcHYRSM

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The other issue with these sort of events being screened, is that your 'average' viewer, now thinks it is OK to grab someone's camera and destroy their memory card.

I wonder if a film crew of this tv show had their gear destroyed for filming in public, if the reaction would be far swifter and harsher. Our commercial media is pathetic.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    The other issue with these sort of events being screened, is that your 'average' viewer, now thinks it is OK to grab someone's camera and destroy their memory card.

I wonder if a film crew of this tv show had their gear destroyed for filming in public, if the reaction would be far swifter and harsher. Our commercial media is pathetic.
    Exactly. Vigilantism will run amok.

As one respondent states on one of the links above, "The irony of the TV crew filming half naked women whilst filming a confrontation involving a photographer shooting half naked women seems to have escaped the Lifesaver and I daresay most viewers of the program." Dopes that not show up how ridiculous the whole episode is.
    Last edited by Lance B; 16-04-2013 at 6:41pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mental roughage! - That's the fare dished up daily to the many indignants who swallow it wholesale.
    Well, I am glad we took action in the case referred to earlier. It had an effect - although beyond what I had expected.
    A bit of standing up for yourself (the common you) doesn't go astray sometimes.

"Fuggery" comes in many guises. I suppose it always has.
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 16-04-2013 at 8:25pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cynic in me says its a setup for t.v, an actor paid to be a tourist, it is "reality" t.v after all. I don't believe "reality" t.v in case your wondering

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bondi has photo restrictions I think. But still badly handled by the LG
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to say the same as Kym. I thought places like Bondi you needed a permit to take photos. A DSLR could be mistaken as someone taking images commercially. I wonder how many P&S and phone cameras took the same images. Lots of questions that need to be answered.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    Exactly. Vigilantism will run amok.

As one respondent states on one of the links above, "The irony of the TV crew filming half naked women whilst filming a confrontation involving a photographer shooting half naked women seems to have escaped the Lifesaver and I daresay most viewers of the program." Dopes that not show up how ridiculous the whole episode is.
    Lance, I didn't pick that up myself, but now it's posted how obvious is that!

I just hate the message that it portrayed that photographers are creeps and it's ok to accost them and you have the right to demand to look at their cameras and even destroy their memory cards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    I thought places like Bondi you needed a permit to take photos. A DSLR could be mistaken as someone taking images commercially. I wonder how many P&S and phone cameras took the same images. Lots of questions that need to be answered.
    There's no rules forbidding photography on Bondi beach that I know of.

Bus loads of tourists pull up there all day everyday and they disgorge hundreds of tourists with cameras for their 1 hour on Bondi beach before they're bundled off to the next destination on their canned packaged oz holiday.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Lance, I didn't pick that up myself, but now it's posted how obvious is that!

I just hate the message that it portrayed that photographers are creeps and it's ok to accost them and you have the right to demand to look at their cameras and even destroy their memory cards.

- - - Updated - - -
    Exactly. It really send the wrong message to people out there.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    There's no rules forbidding photography on Bondi beach that I know of.
    There are no rules forbidding photography on Bondi Beach except if it is for commercial reasons. Anyone can photograph there if the photos are not for profit purposes.

The thing that really burns me up is that if a photographer innocently takes photos of the beach but there happens to be topless women in the photograph and these women object to themselves being in the photo, then why is it that their rights to go topless outweigh the photographers rights to take photos? The problem is, you have to be seen to be trying to avoid taking their photo and this just shouldn't need to be the case. Shows like this really don't help, because now any person that pulls out a long lens at Bondi, or any beach for that matter, is deemed some sort of pervert. This sort of hysteria is so prevalent nowadays, that if I have my camera with me and I have to walk past a childrens' playground, I will put the camera in my backpack so as not even giving anyone the least opportunity to accuse me of anything.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you don't want your tits photographed, don't expose them in public...simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the women lay topless in front of thousands of people, but only felt "violated" when some guy took her photo. Give me a break.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The girls didn't look to distraught when the production crew were filming them topless and they were waving to the camera.

As Lance said and I agree, it just really burns me up that because I own a 'big camera with a lens' I can be judged. And the attitude of that lifeguard destroying that guys compact flash card with the shears and miming to him that he would be put in handcuffs, arrested and put in a police cell.......really burns me up!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were the two girls arrested for indecent exposure. I'd bet if two women were breast feeding, they would be asked to cover up. Would a bloke in a G-String or Mankini be laughed at and ridiculed by the lifegaurds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found , somewhere in all the blogs and chatter regarding this OP a very good read.

Taking Photographs 'In Public': What's lawful and what's not?
    written by Professor Mark Davidson and Mr Tobias Gattineau

http://www.ccp.org.au/docs/Davison-Legal-Manual.pdf
    Hi I'm Mark - See me on Flikr or Google+
    Feel free to make comments or give me advice.. also to add me to your social network
    Using Canon 650D and Lenses: Canon EF 85mm 1.8, EF 50mm 1.8, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktaduck View Post
    I found , somewhere in all the blogs and chatter regarding this OP a very good read.

Taking Photographs 'In Public': What's lawful and what's not?
    written by Professor Mark Davidson and Mr Tobias Gattineau

http://www.ccp.org.au/docs/Davison-Legal-Manual.pdf
    I have seen this before and forgot about it, so thank you for the link.

The interesting part is on page 33 "Scenario 1f"

Where it states that: "There is no authority for the SLSA to confiscate cameras on the beach". So, the tourist would have a good case to sue the SLSA for the cost of a CF card from his camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast