Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reliable grey market sellers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reliable grey market sellers

More for my future reference, which grey market vendors are reliable?

I think I saw somewhere that DWI and eglobal

*Admin: removed your negative comments about DWI, refer to the site rules, in particular rules 3-7*
    Last edited by ricktas; 15-04-2013 at 7:34am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used DWI on many occasions and have nothing but praise for them.delivery to newcastle within 3 days
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DWI and eGlobal are essentially the same people.

I have spent significant amounts with both, paying by card and have had zero issues, they are great to deal, speedy delivery and very helpful when importing high end items.

I personally can recommend as a customer, the following grey sellers;

DWI
    eGlobal
    DigitalRev
    B&H Photo Video - They have the widest variety in stock, and very efficient. Just watch shipping costs, they are not helpful with importing pricey goods. I use a broker instead for all USA freight.
    Adorama
    DD Photographics - Have a bricks & Mortar store in Sydney selling their self imported goods. They can be slow to source out of stock items, but they are reliable.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wayne is correct. DWI and eGlobal are owned by the same parent company.

Also remember that grey just means an overseas retailer that is not aligned with the official delivery channels in your country. So depending on where someone lives, even the Australian stores could be called grey. It is just a matter of geolocation.
    Last edited by ricktas; 15-04-2013 at 7:45am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mycamerafocus also sells a combination of grey and local gear. He is based in WA and is a fellow photographer. I have bought all my gear from him on the back of feedback in a forum on Whirlpool and have had nothing but excellent service.
    D800 Nikon 70-200 VR II, Nikon 105 2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4,
    Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I've heard only good things about MCF... I'd certainly go with John than another mob in Hong Kong..
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can also reccommend both eglobal and DWi ..............have bought several items from both and no complaints at all!
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also used DWI and they are great.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got some gear from eglobal, paid extra for 2-3 day delivery. Technically it was 3 days but this was after 4 days of processing my order! Not complaining still saved serious $$ but worth noting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought from both DWI and eglobal and have had no problems with either one. I think that DWI are a little bit quicker with their delivery, but eglobal are slightly cheaper (well they were on the lens I bought anyway....about $30 inc delivery).
    So, six of one, half a dozen of the other as the saying goes. Either way they are both reliable and you will save $$. Oh, and if you go through AP (as I did), then Rick gets commission. So it is a win/win for all.
    Last edited by wanderer51; 19-04-2013 at 12:31am.
    Canon 550D/7D - Canon 24mm IS USM - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 15-85 IS USM - Sigma 28-300mm | RS60E3 cable remote | B&W ND110, Hoya CPL, ND2, ND8, Cokin P series H250A GND 'kit' | An embarrassingly cheap SLIK tripod.
    Software: PS CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *please read the site rules - in particular 3-7*
    Last edited by ricktas; 19-04-2013 at 6:56pm.
    Nikon D90, 18-200VR II, Tokina 100mm Macro, Sigma 150-500, Nikkor 35mm, Giotto Rocket Air Blower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When u guys bought from DWI did you incur any import costs? I'm exploring options to getaway 300 f2.8

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
    When u guys bought from DWI did you incur any import costs? I'm exploring options to getaway 300 f2.8
    If you purchase something worth over AUD $1000, then there is the chance you will have to pay an import duty and GST. These are calculated not on the price you paid, but on what the customs database has the item listed for at retail price. So you might say pay $2000.00 but customs has the item listed at $3500.00, you pay duty and tax on $3500.00. There is no way of knowing if your particular article is going to be checked and have this applied or not, so you would need to consider it, in your budget.
    Last edited by ricktas; 19-04-2013 at 10:41pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does any duty come into it? Thought it was just the potential of 10% GST added.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Im 99% sure lenses are duty free so it's only GST
    Last edited by Iscariot; 20-04-2013 at 12:02am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    There used to be a customs charge as well, maybe they are removed that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cameraparadise guarantee no tax charges so they might be worth a look if you are concerned.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwhc View Post
    Cameraparadise guarantee no tax charges so they might be worth a look if you are concerned.
    They cannot do that. It is illegal.. tax evasion! They get away with their 'guarantee' cause they are outside Australia, but once your gear arrives, they have no control over our Customs service and if tax is charged in this country or not. Cameraparadise have repeatedly asked to advertise on AP and I have refused them cause of their stance on this matter.

What they do is place a value on the customs declaration that is nothing like what you paid, or the real value of the contents of the parcel, and in some cases the item description on the customs declaration is completely wrong. I have seen one on a parcel, described as 'shoes and accessories', which was nothing of the sort. Again illegal!
    Last edited by ricktas; 20-04-2013 at 10:21am.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A word of warning (for the positive), when I was looking at purchasing my setup, I looked at a number of grey stores. I saw negative feedback about a couple of places (DWI, eGlobal etc) but when I looked carefully, the one thing I noticed was that 99% of the negative feedback on the forums came from first time posters. That always makes me extremely suspicious. People don't register on random forums to post negative feedback about companies. That smacks of something more sinister like an annoyed local company trying to badmouth grey markets that are impacting their bottom line. I've subsequently purchased from a couple of a variety of places like DWI and have had no issues whatsoever. I would highly recommend them. Oddly enough I actually purchased my body and lenses locally because I managed to negotiate the guy down and with GST, the prices weren't much different, but my 1.4x converter was less than half the price and my SB700 also half. Also remember negotiating is an option. I've tended to only purchase the items which are less likely to be warranty impacted or only where there is a marked difference. I.e. on my 1.4x converter, even if it goes faulty, I could buy another and still be in the same price range.
    Last edited by MissionMan; 20-04-2013 at 10:06am.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    A word of warning (for the positive), when I was looking at purchasing my setup, I looked at a number of grey stores. I saw negative feedback about a couple of places (DWI, eGlobal etc) but when I looked carefully, the one thing I noticed was that 99% of the negative feedback on the forums came from first time posters. That always makes me extremely suspicious. People don't register on random forums to post negative feedback about companies. That smacks of something more sinister like an annoyed local company trying to badmouth grey markets that are impacting their bottom line. I've subsequently purchased from a couple of a variety of places like DWI and have had no issues whatsoever. I would highly recommend them. Oddly enough I actually purchased my body and lenses locally because I managed to negotiate the guy down and with GST, the prices weren't much different, but my 1.4x converter was less than half the price and my SB700 also half. Also remember negotiating is an option. I've tended to only purchase the items which are less likely to be warranty impacted or only where there is a marked difference. I.e. on my 1.4x converter, even if it goes faulty, I could buy another and still be in the same price range.
    Which is why we have the following rule on AP:

Members with Under 30 day’s membership and/or 50 posts:

[3] Are not allowed to promote or complain! Promotion or complaints about services/people/organisations/products/businesses by new members is not allowed anywhere on Ausphotography. New members are also not allowed to seek/advertise employment (either paid or unpaid) anywhere on the site.

We have experienced this on AP, Where a couple of people joined up and bagged out a business in one of Australia's bigger cities. Turned out these people were employed by the other business in the same block that competed with the named one, for trade.
    Last edited by ricktas; 20-04-2013 at 10:25am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast