Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Camera Body Update

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera Body Update

Hey All

This is my first post beside my introduction post. So forgive me for being so slack.
    I am currently enrolled in Tafe doing a Cert IV in Digital Imaging so I am adjusting being at school again lol

So my questions are: I am about to upgrade my camera body. I have a 20D but feel like my photos are lacking the "Show Factor" they need, against my class mates. Maybe it is just me.
    I have the following lenses
    EF-S 17-85mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM and EF 50mmf/1.8II. I also have a Zoom Lens EF 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 DO IS USM.

I have looked at the Canon, 60D, 6D, 7D, 5D Mark II and 5D Mark III AND Nikon D800

If I stay with the Canon I have the lenses. But as my interest is Pet/Equine Sport Photography I probably do not have the right lens.
    I also like Portrait, Old Buildings, and Wildlife as I have abundance in my yard.

If I went Nikon I would have to restart.

Of course money is a issue. As I don't have it laying around to just buy the lot again.

A little advice will go a long way if you could steer me in the right direction. Any Thoughts...P.S I do love the full frame sensors :P
    Cheers Shaz

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest posting some pics here and explaining where you think you are "lacking". I wouldn't go out and needlessly spend money if either just a little more education can do the same, after all - the camera is only doing what you tell it to. If you want that "show factor" really get to know your camera's capabilities and you'll probably be surprised - people have been taking great shots for a looong time on less camera!
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    agree with the above. Most issues with the results out of a camera are the photographer. If you think you do not have the right lenses, I would be upgrading lenses first, keeping the camera and using better glass. Good glass will last you a lifetime, a camera body is a disposable item.
    Last edited by ricktas; 12-04-2013 at 8:08am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys. You are both very right. I have had 3 cameras in my lifetime. And still own them. A old Kodak box camera, Canon film AE1 Program and the 20D. As I love to photograph horses, dogs and wildlife I know I probably need new lenses. But on the other hand I will only own one more camera in my lifetime and one that makes it easier with more functions would be nice. I will post some photos. Not sure where. I forget already the beginner tips lol

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a point when posting Shaz - I have nothing to add to the above advice - keep an eye on your font colour. The bottom half of your post above is in grey text and almost invisible on the grey background. I had to highlight it to read.

Hope we can help you resolve your camera issues.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i love and still use my 20d check out my site for some examples, show factor is simply practice power
    I've done so many things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting. ~Moe, The Simpsons

http://Grae-and-co-images.com/

canon 5dmk 2, some lenses, a couple of sticks to hold them up, a thing that make sun at night, and a sense of adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still use the first Digital SLR I purchased when they were first released, as a spare or 2nd body, a Canon 300D and it operates ok... Not the same specs as good as a 20D, and not a patch on my Canon 7D, but it still takes good shots if I stick to 100 ISO..
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also got still my 20d and if I do everythink right I still get good pics out of it!
    But having said that, I also to plan to upgrade to the 7d but mainly because I got not so good eyside and I reckon that VF will help me to improve on details espacily if I do macros and offcourse it is a good camera for sports shooting!