Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Nebo/Glorious are like that !

The ROO I hit was out 3pm !

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    Tots agree on that!
    I did a midnight run over Mt Nebo, & Mt Glorious with a mate a few months ago, Between not knowing the roads well (it's soo freaking scary when the road just seems to disappear in front of you sometimes) and seeing multiple Roos, Bandicoots & Snakes along the way only makes it scarier!
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post

My other lenses are a 50,, 1.8 I never used due to no af on the 3000, a tanmron 17-50 2.8, and a nikon 70-200 vr ii i got for my 21st .....
    I think it's a no brainer then, you have capable enough lenses for Fx now .. and the Tammy is probably good enough to 'get you by' until you either want to upgrade to a proper 24-70/2.8 type lens, or you could forgo that for a while longer and get an UWA lens if you think you need one too.

Now the question is ..... D700 + $600 for another lens, or D600 without an extra lens.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im pretty sure roos sit in the hedge.. looking left and right..then right and left..wait a while and sit tight..only to hop out as a vehicle approaches...and often in twos and threes..dumb critters for sure..

you are a lucky rider..to go down at 100 kms all bets are off....hope the recovery is speedy..and the insurance payout for the bike .

as for the pick of the new camera....the D7000 looks great at $790..or the new D7100...I haven't tried a D600 but Kev loves his so Id reckon they are the goods too...ive had a D700 and loved it..now I have a D800 and love that more...its a hard choice mate....but go with your gut and what the budget allows...Id always try and spend as much as I could ..plus a tad more... i've a feeling the D800 will be with me for a long while.. particularly after the recent FW update..its made the camera perfect for me now
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is your budget

So much depends on how much you want to spend.
    I have had a d7000 since they came out and have loved it.
    Recently I have started doing quite a lot of video, and so have been admiring the D800, and bought one.
    But in a moment of madness I bought another d7000 for $740, brand new body only...could not resist at the price.
    I have plenty of glass to go around.
    There has been so much bad press around on the D600, and but regardless I ordered one 5 weeks ago, they were saying that it was going to be another 4 weeks, so I got my money back and put it into the D800. So be careful about the delivery time if you do go D600.

For motor sports you want to get in close, so the crop factor and faster continuous shooting of the D7000 would be great. It is a rock solid piece of gear and at $740 is a steal.
    Nikon D800 D7000 D3200 D200 D40 / iPhone 5 / 28-300mm / 10-24 DX / AF-S DX 18-55mm II / 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR IF-ED / AF-S 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR ED / 10.5mm f/2.8G ED AF DX / AF 50mm f/1.4D / 85mm f/1.8D / 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR Micro / Samyang 14/24/35/85 Cine lenses / Speedlight SB-800

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I think it's a no brainer then, you have capable enough lenses for Fx now .. and the Tammy is probably good enough to 'get you by' until you either want to upgrade to a proper 24-70/2.8 type lens, or you could forgo that for a while longer and get an UWA lens if you think you need one too.

Now the question is ..... D700 + $600 for another lens, or D600 without an extra lens.
    Haha. My question exactly! 700 + $600, or the d600! If I wait i Could maybe affird the 800, but that is a lot more than I would like to spend, especially as I would like to upgrade my lenses and buy a few new ones!

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Thanks for all the other advice guys, lots of research happening today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure where the $600 for a lens is coming from if you buy a D700 instead of a D600.

eglobal have the D600 for AUD$1739 Grey of course, and that means buying a D700 for $1100, which would be a piece of shit one at that price and getting one in Aus for that may not be easy. eglobal also have the D800 for AUD$2395, only $600 more than the D600.

if you are thinking of Customs slapping you with GST upon import from eglobal, I encourage you to talk to them about it, they are very helpful.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I'm not sure where the $600 for a lens is coming from if you buy a D700 instead of a D600.

eglobal have the D600 for AUD$1739 Grey of course, and that means buying a D700 for $1100, which would be a piece of shit one at that price and getting one in Aus for that may not be easy. eglobal also have the D800 for AUD$2395, only $600 more than the D600.

if you are thinking of Customs slapping you with GST upon import from eglobal, I encourage you to talk to them about it, they are very helpful.
    Thanks for the advice! I wasn't sure what kind of d700 price would be considered a decent one!

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my D600 from Ryda with 2 years Nikon warranty. http://www.ryda.com.au/Nikon-D600-DS...p/d600body.htm

They are in the country, and for an extra couple of hundred bucks you have peace of mind with a factory warranty.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say that $1100 is at the high end for a good D700 now(now that the D800 is much lower in price than initially and that the D600 is where it is).

Some idiots seem to think that a brand new D700 is going to sell for close to $2400(nowadays!!) when a D800 can be had for a few hundred dollars more
    (which is going to hold it's S/H value better in the coming three years!!)

D800 and D600 pricing really puts a brand new D700 in the $2K range maximum, and I'd even say that because the camera is now such old tech(ie. no video, etc) ... it really should be at D600 pricing levels.

1/2 that for a used version ... = $1000 as a real price level. $1100 for a good one, and maybe $1200-1300 max for a hardly used version.

A good point to keep in mind is that a D700 in about three years may only be worth about $500-600, as more and more S/H D800's and D600's appear on the market too.

The question you need to ask yourself Ash is: How much money do you think you can justify in the next 6 months to 1 year for new lens purchases.
    I can almost guarantee you that the 17-50 in Dx mode on an Fx camera will be useful to you only in the very short term .. so this if this FOV range was important to you in Dx, it may be one that you might want to update quickly. But you may also want other looks to your images too(eg. wide angle, or wider/longer prime lens shallow DOF rendering too).

If those sorts of things are elements that you may find appealing or interesting to explore, they can be done on the cheap with manual lenses.

Think about where you main usage lies .. eg. if you mainly use the longer end of the 70-200 lens, you may want to look into a good quality teleconverter as a priority.
    If you think you may want to explore more widescapes, then obviously a wider lens is going to be a priority.

But the real question is, no matter what you get now, how much do you think you can afford/justify in the next year or so .. during which time you will develop more GAS!!

if this helps you to make a longer term decision and I haven't really checked, but I reckon the Tammy 17-50/2.8(non VC) may sell for about $200-$150 on ebay if you're lucky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt worry too much about loads of lenses...ive just bought a 1.8 50m afs.and love it ....
    leaving the heavy 24-70 in the camera case for now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number on ebay Australia right now that range from cheapest at $1075 with 3 days to go and has 17 bids, under warranty through to one with 1500 shutter count at $1389 with almost 4 days to go and 14 bids so far, others all very close to $1100 or already in excess of that.

Looking at past recent sales (that actually sold) on eBay Aus, there are;

1) $1281; Description below-
    This item is used and has light cosmetic wear. The camera is in perfect working order, and has been very well looked after. Selling as I am changing camera platforms and selling all my Nikon gear.

Included in this auction;

D700 body
    body cap
    2x EN-EL3a batteries
    Battery charger
    Shoulder strap
    cables

Does not include box or manual however a PDF manual can be found here http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D700_en.pdf
    Shutter count is 59489

2) $990: Description below-

Nikon D700 Body
    Used camera body in perfect working order
    Bundled with the following:
    Screen protector
    Hot shoe protector
    2 batteries + charger
    Neck strap (unused)
    User Manual and Quick Guide
    4x CF memory cards: 2gb, 8gb + 2x 16GB
    All original packaging
    113000 shutter actuations

Please note: The rubber hand grip is starting to come loose (please see images).
    There are some minor dust spots on the sensor

This is a great camera and takes fantastic photos. I'm selling because I've upgraded to the D600

3) $1450.02: With 34 bids Description below-

Hi Folks!
    I'm selling my beloved Nikon D700 which was used as my backup body for 3 years, I've barely used it and has only approx 11K actuations.

- Perfect condition, No Dents / Scratches...See for yourself in the photos! It's basically been babied since i bought it.

- Comes in original Box with all accessories! + Extra battery + Nikon DK-19 Eye Cup! (Original Eye cup is in the box)

Let me know if you've got any questions.

Happy Bidding!

(International Bidders message me for Shipping Costs)

4) $1525: With 15 bids Description below-
    BODY ONLY
    SHUTTER COUNT 6551
    AS NEW CONDITION
    STRAP
    BATTERY
    FIELD GUIDE
    MANUAL
    CHARGER

So it seems very clear that there is still high demand for a D700, particularly a good used one, and more importantly as I noted, it's very hard to come by an excellent one for $1100 in Aus. It also seems that most are being sold via auction and running their course, only 1 or 2 using "buy now"
    Based on what I have shown above, the current average price for a D700 on eBay Aus is about $1311, almost 20% more than the quoted $1100, and that should tell you it is hardly worth buying one over a D600.
    Hope that helps...

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ash
    Firstly you survived
    If your way is FF I was in the boat of going to the D600,with the mega files and initially the oil sensor issue (Now Resolved) I went with the D700
    almost a D300s with FF sensor so controls and excreta being the same and MP the same I was hooked.Dont get me wrong i like the D600 but I live better with the D700

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... that camera probably won't be taking any pictures anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided on the D600 over the D800 and took delivery of it about 3 weeks ago. Very happy with it. It is a definite improvement over my D5000.

The criticisms of the D600 have been published all over the web. The one that was of most concern to me was the central clustering of the AF points, but so far, this has not been an impediment. Depending on your preferred subject matter, this may or may not be an issue (or reason to go for the D800). I haven't seen any of the reported dust spots so far either.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I'd say that $1100 is at the high end for a good D700 now(now that the D800 is much lower in price than initially and that the D600 is where it is).

Some idiots seem to think that a brand new D700 is going to sell for close to $2400(nowadays!!) when a D800 can be had for a few hundred dollars more
    (which is going to hold it's S/H value better in the coming three years!!)

D800 and D600 pricing really puts a brand new D700 in the $2K range maximum, and I'd even say that because the camera is now such old tech(ie. no video, etc) ... it really should be at D600 pricing levels.

1/2 that for a used version ... = $1000 as a real price level. $1100 for a good one, and maybe $1200-1300 max for a hardly used version.

A good point to keep in mind is that a D700 in about three years may only be worth about $500-600, as more and more S/H D800's and D600's appear on the market too.

The question you need to ask yourself Ash is: How much money do you think you can justify in the next 6 months to 1 year for new lens purchases.
    I can almost guarantee you that the 17-50 in Dx mode on an Fx camera will be useful to you only in the very short term .. so this if this FOV range was important to you in Dx, it may be one that you might want to update quickly. But you may also want other looks to your images too(eg. wide angle, or wider/longer prime lens shallow DOF rendering too).

If those sorts of things are elements that you may find appealing or interesting to explore, they can be done on the cheap with manual lenses.

Think about where you main usage lies .. eg. if you mainly use the longer end of the 70-200 lens, you may want to look into a good quality teleconverter as a priority.
    If you think you may want to explore more widescapes, then obviously a wider lens is going to be a priority.

But the real question is, no matter what you get now, how much do you think you can afford/justify in the next year or so .. during which time you will develop more GAS!!

if this helps you to make a longer term decision and I haven't really checked, but I reckon the Tammy 17-50/2.8(non VC) may sell for about $200-$150 on ebay if you're lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    I wouldnt worry too much about loads of lenses...ive just bought a 1.8 50m afs.and love it ....
    leaving the heavy 24-70 in the camera case for now
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    There are a number on ebay Australia right now that range from cheapest at $1075 with 3 days to go and has 17 bids, under warranty through to one with 1500 shutter count at $1389 with almost 4 days to go and 14 bids so far, others all very close to $1100 or already in excess of that.

Looking at past recent sales (that actually sold) on eBay Aus, there are;

1) $1281; Description below-
    This item is used and has light cosmetic wear. The camera is in perfect working order, and has been very well looked after. Selling as I am changing camera platforms and selling all my Nikon gear.

Included in this auction;

D700 body
    body cap
    2x EN-EL3a batteries
    Battery charger
    Shoulder strap
    cables

Does not include box or manual however a PDF manual can be found here http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D700_en.pdf
    Shutter count is 59489

2) $990: Description below-

Nikon D700 Body
    Used camera body in perfect working order
    Bundled with the following:
    Screen protector
    Hot shoe protector
    2 batteries + charger
    Neck strap (unused)
    User Manual and Quick Guide
    4x CF memory cards: 2gb, 8gb + 2x 16GB
    All original packaging
    113000 shutter actuations

Please note: The rubber hand grip is starting to come loose (please see images).
    There are some minor dust spots on the sensor

This is a great camera and takes fantastic photos. I'm selling because I've upgraded to the D600

3) $1450.02: With 34 bids Description below-

Hi Folks!
    I'm selling my beloved Nikon D700 which was used as my backup body for 3 years, I've barely used it and has only approx 11K actuations.

- Perfect condition, No Dents / Scratches...See for yourself in the photos! It's basically been babied since i bought it.

- Comes in original Box with all accessories! + Extra battery + Nikon DK-19 Eye Cup! (Original Eye cup is in the box)

Let me know if you've got any questions.

Happy Bidding!

(International Bidders message me for Shipping Costs)

4) $1525: With 15 bids Description below-
    BODY ONLY
    SHUTTER COUNT 6551
    AS NEW CONDITION
    STRAP
    BATTERY
    FIELD GUIDE
    MANUAL
    CHARGER

So it seems very clear that there is still high demand for a D700, particularly a good used one, and more importantly as I noted, it's very hard to come by an excellent one for $1100 in Aus. It also seems that most are being sold via auction and running their course, only 1 or 2 using "buy now"
    Based on what I have shown above, the current average price for a D700 on eBay Aus is about $1311, almost 20% more than the quoted $1100, and that should tell you it is hardly worth buying one over a D600.
    Hope that helps...
    Thanks you three - you've sopld me on a d600 and maybe a 50mm 1.4. ! The 700 seems very overpriced 2nd hand and I have found 600s in Aus with a warranty for ~$1800

Quote Originally Posted by CarlR View Post
    I decided on the D600 over the D800 and took delivery of it about 3 weeks ago. Very happy with it. It is a definite improvement over my D5000.

The criticisms of the D600 have been published all over the web. The one that was of most concern to me was the central clustering of the AF points, but so far, this has not been an impediment. Depending on your preferred subject matter, this may or may not be an issue (or reason to go for the D800). I haven't seen any of the reported dust spots so far either.
    Thanks, good to hear. I keep reading aboyt dust spots!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get the need for 51 focus points. I only use 1. The center one.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, good to hear. I keep reading aboyt dust spots!!
    The dust spots come and go. I wonder how many of those that have them have their camera set-up to auto clean?

I have one that's persisting, and as it's only apparent at about f16 and smaller, I haven't worried too much about it. Nikon have told me to take my camera in for a free sensor clean if it becomes a concern.

PS: My shutter count is close to 2,500.
    Last edited by Cage; 13-04-2013 at 4:40pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    I don't get the need for 51 focus points. I only use 1. The center one.
    It means you can move that single focus point around the frame to a choice of 51 locations, which helps with composition because you don't have to frame with that 1 centre point and then re-compose, which when shooting very shallow DOF often results in missed focus.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been shopping around for the best deal.... Man the price varies!

$1700 from DWI, around 2k from JB at a supposed staff discount... 2.4 at michaels.... Sheesh!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JB's price sounds OK .. remembering that this price includes GST .. which the DWI price doesn't!

Something to note as well: Tax department doesn't take too kindly to GST tax avoidance. If you get caught the penalty is quite severe(so I'm told).

Also, JB has to honour the warranty there and then on the spot. If you get the dreaded dust/oil spotting issue, warranty on an import is going to cost more(postage) and will probably take longer to finalise due to the postage.

$300 sounds like a lot of $$$ but it's your choice on how much peace of mind is worth(not to mention the fact that a JB purchase helps to keep one more person employed, where they may not if the sale goes directly to a grey market retailer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast