Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15

Thread: 50D

Regular Visitor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50D

I presently use a 450D and have the opportunatey to get a 50D for a couple of hundred, what I really need to know is the 50D a good step up from the 450D or not?
    Regards
    Wayne

CC Always welcome as its a great way of Learning

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Both cameras were announced in 2008. 5 years ago. The 50D is a great bit of kit, but there has been a lot of improvement in tech since then. Your 450D is a quite capable camera and can do most of what the 50D can. So if you are considering upgrading, why not keep saving and get something newer. I would!

http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...s=canon_eos50d
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-04-2013 at 10:28pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Regular Visitor
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Both cameras were announced in 2008. 5 years ago. The 50D is a great bit of kit, but there has been a lot of improvement in tech since then. Your 450D is a quite capable camera and can do most of what the 50D can. So if you are considering upgrading, why not keep saving and get something newer. I would!

http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...s=canon_eos50d
    Thanks Rick for your reply, I didn't think it would be a big difference and the link shows that. I really like my 450D with only wishing it had a bit more iso at times. Keep on saving for a while thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a couple of hundred for a 50D! I owned one of these cameras, was very nice set up from my 1000D to 50D. The back wheel and top lcd gives much control. I shot some really nice images with it, alot of birds and action. I also had a 7D which is also an upgrade on the 50D, its also more expensive. The 50D is very capable, and depending on your budget is a good choice. It always the thing, how much you want to spend. Theres always more expensive gear, and if its worth it is another question. If you want to use it alot for action, maybe spending the extra on a 7D or 1D body is worth it.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used to use one quite a bit as a back up camera, good MP and details in low to base ISO, sucked very hard at 1600 and above, even 800 was showing quite a bit of noise.

Overall its ok from me, I preferred the high ISO performance of the older 30D and even the 40D to an extent, but that was with a lower MP sensor so cant compare.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's only $200 and it's in great condition.....that's not much for a nice camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting my 50D fixed , Dropped it and broke the shutter , But for a replacement shutter , A clean / Blowout, And sensor clean and fix a Battery grip problem $380 , Still a good cam and only really one model old
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 50D, whoch for me was an upgrade from a 400D. The biggest reason for a move from a 450D to a 50D, in my opinion, is the control set. It's much nicer and user friendly. The top LCD was a winner for me also. If the price is cheap, Then I'd go for it as an interim upgrade. As mentioned above the 7D is also a nice move, but a more expensive one.

My 2 cents

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have a 50D gathering dust. I agree that it is a good camera but ISO over 1600 is not great. Since they are not worth much now I am keeping mine as a museum piece

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stepped up from a 1000D to the 50D - as an interim as I couldn't afford the 7D. I now have enough for the 7D but am wondering if I wouldn't be better off getting a 5DIII - by the time I can get on of those it will be old school
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Regular Visitor
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your replies as they are very much appreciated. It was a mates father that had the camera and I let him know yesterday morning that I would give it a miss, and he had sold it by lunch time which at the price was to be expected. Now kicking myself a bit

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah don't kick yourself. It is a nice camera but if you are going to upgrade make it a leap rather than a step if you can.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FallingHorse View Post
    I stepped up from a 1000D to the 50D - as an interim as I couldn't afford the 7D. I now have enough for the 7D but am wondering if I wouldn't be better off getting a 5DIII - by the time I can get on of those it will be old school
    From somone who went from a 1000D to a 50D to a 5DII to a 1DIV and now a 1DX - - - - Get what you want otherwise you end up doing what I do and step up a little each time and waste an incredible amount of money. If I were you, I would do what I could to secure a 5DIII. Of course that is if it suits your needs. Probably needs a new thread rather than hijack this one but consider what you need and whether the 7D or 5DIII matches the need. Then decide and act.
    Last edited by fess67; 09-04-2013 at 10:54pm.

Regular Visitor
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    Nah don't kick yourself. It is a nice camera but if you are going to upgrade make it a leap rather than a step if you can.

- - - Updated - - -

From somone who went from a 1000D to a 50D to a 5DII to a 1DIV and now a 1DX - - - - Get what you want otherwise you end up doing what I do and step up a little each time and waste an incredible amount of money. If I were you, I would do what I could to secure a 5DIII. Of course that is if it suits your needs. Probably needs a new thread rather than hijack this one but consider what you need and whether the 7D or 5DIII matches the need. Then decide and act.
    I think ultimately a 7D would be what i aim for as I only own 3 lenses but 2 of them won't suit FF camera.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Canon has a couple of new models out in the entry level category that would shade the older 50D anyway. Haven't gone over the specs in detail or seen any reviews yet, but there is a 700D and a 100D. Both show that they are rated to ISO 12800 without expansion and the 700D is a 5FPS 18MP model. Both would be a leap over the 450D. Not as attractive as some of the more expensive models, but we can't all afford a 1Dx.

That ISO rating is higher than my 1D3 which I wouldn't shoot at over ISO3200 anyway. Even the top of the range cameras still become obsolete fairly quickly. 5-7 years will see even the now mighty 1Dx a couple of models behind the times. Maybe the replacements will be cheaper though. The 1DsMkIII retailed for almost $13,600 at Camerahouse when it first appeared. I see the 1Dx is now under $6000 grey.

Here's a review:

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/20...el-t5i-review/
    Last edited by Warbler; 10-04-2013 at 9:24am.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I paid around $1800.00 for my 50D when it first came out

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I think I paid around $1800.00 for my 50D when it first came out
    Don't feel too bad about that JimD. I paid $2,000 for my first digital camera and it wasn't an SLR, had 2MP, and I still loved it.

Here's a Canon Youtube on the two cameras I mentioned above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3UhDkZMWL8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may also want to wait because the 7d was released back in 2009. The baseline 60d was released in 2010. If you are willing to wait, the next versions will probably come out in 1-2 years