Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Protog light stand kits

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protog light stand kits

I was looking at the website protog and was wondering if anyone has brought lightstands from them before? I don't want something that's cheaply built and flimsy. It has to stand up to outdoor use and a bit of wind. Has anyone had any experience with these models? http://protog.com.au/22m-light-stand...kit-p-673.html
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    why not email Jeff at Protog and ask him about the sturdiness of them, with details of what you want and he might be able to recommend a very suitable stand for your needs?
    Last edited by ricktas; 03-04-2013 at 2:57pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought from the on a number of occasions. They are great guys to deal with. I bought some of my first light stands from them and they were cheap, nasty, Chinese junk but they were not the same ones mentioned above. When I look at the specs of what you have posted, it is a lightweight light duty stand, and it will not stand up to wind with an umbrella on it.

indoor use it will be fine.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    why not email Jeff at Protog and ask him about the sturdiness of them, with details of what you want and he might be able to recommend a very suitable stand for your needs?
    Thanks, I was also wanting to see if other members had experiences with them first hand.
    Last edited by wideangle; 03-04-2013 at 4:15pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have a pair of these same light stands. They seem to be a quality item, well built, nice and light. However I would agree they are not really built to take umbrellas and large soft boxes. When I am using them with my soft boxes I like to throw a few sandbags on the legs to keep them sturdier. Even still, it gets a bit scary when the wind comes along.

So I would recommend them if you are working with direct flash or small soft boxes/umbrellas. For anything large or if you think you might use them in windy situations a lot then go for something bigger.

Alex

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input. Might have to look into some more sturdy ones, any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent medium duty stands, built to last, tall and can take most modifiers with little to no sandbagging unless quite windy.

Avenger A0040B, I have 4 of them in the studio and they work very well on location. Don't try and buy them in Australia though, you will pay double. Just import them yourself from the USA.