User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  21
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warning... Telstra has just adjusted your mobile phone time.....

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be a new - and improved - "service" T some users have had bestowed on them. On the bright side, you can set it back and say that you went an hour into the future (???)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    It must be a new - and improved - "service" T some users have had bestowed on them. On the bright side, you can set it back and say that you went an hour into the future (???)
    Then I could be like Yossarian in Catch 22 and say that 'I see everything twice"
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I guess An Elliot Ness Cafe would sell confiscated bootleg liquor out the back, but a Milo Minderbinder(???)... Well, just add yours to the list, Kevin.
    m.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post

The message I received said that Telstra has adjusted your time for daylight savings, and I'm assuming that Telstra would be the only entity that could make adjustments to my phone, so I'm thinking the adjustment had to come from them.
    I have been with Telstra for over 10 years and I have never received a message from them saying that they were adjusting the time on my phone, nor have I ever heard of anyone else getting a similar message. I was under the impression that mobiles received their time signals from the mobile towers. My phone automatically adjusts it's time whether it be the start/end of Daylight Saving, or I travel interstate (eg: SA, WA, QLD)
    I wonder if this 'message' is some kind of mobile phone 'virus'?
    Canon 550D/7D - Canon 24mm IS USM - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 15-85 IS USM - Sigma 28-300mm | RS60E3 cable remote | B&W ND110, Hoya CPL, ND2, ND8, Cokin P series H250A GND 'kit' | An embarrassingly cheap SLIK tripod.
    Software: PS CS5

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have never received a message re the time adjustment for daylight saving and I have been with telstra for the last 11 years (not by choice though). My phone automaticly changes time zones between Vic. and SA at least 4 times a week and has done so with the last 4 phones I have had.
    Cheers
    Keith.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice, should be very simple as well, if camera makers could enable such a thing.

Not just daylight savings, for travelling photographers passing through differing time zones either nationally or internationally, another thing less to think about.

GPS!!!

on the two GPS capable cameras I have, there is a setting to enable/disable the GPS connected to adjust the clock on the camera.

Not exactly what you describe with what you're after, but the problem is that to effect what you describe, the camera must know where it actually is for it to be able to make this adjustment.

DST adjustment is easy if the firmware is written correctly, and the manufacturer has this programming set up, but as various regions make changes to their local DST settings this then forces the manufacturer to issue new firmwares as those regions change their DST setups.

As for the camera to autmagically alter time on the device based on location/timezones, the only possible way to do this is to have an inbuilt GPS .. which of course needs to be on all the time, which then drains battery life in quick time.

I prefer the external GPS solution to an inbuilt one .. but this would be made much easier if the manufacturers added bluetooth to the device for easier connection to such external devices.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And thank you for your perceptiveness Allie. And back at ya........ (Hope 'Allie' is not short for Alec )
    I'm female - "not that there is anything wrong with that" if I wasn't .

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I'm female - "not that there is anything wrong with that" if I wasn't .
    Allie, maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, , but I'd much rather plant a kiss on a female cheek than a whiskery male one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kissed you first Kevin!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allie, maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, , but I'd much rather plant a kiss on a female cheek than a whiskery male one.
    Oh my ----- get a room will yas please.

This is a family oriented forum remember.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    GPS!!!

on the two GPS capable cameras I have, there is a setting to enable/disable the GPS connected to adjust the clock on the camera.

Not exactly what you describe with what you're after, but the problem is that to effect what you describe, the camera must know where it actually is for it to be able to make this adjustment.

DST adjustment is easy if the firmware is written correctly, and the manufacturer has this programming set up, but as various regions make changes to their local DST settings this then forces the manufacturer to issue new firmwares as those regions change their DST setups.

As for the camera to autmagically alter time on the device based on location/timezones, the only possible way to do this is to have an inbuilt GPS .. which of course needs to be on all the time, which then drains battery life in quick time.

I prefer the external GPS solution to an inbuilt one .. but this would be made much easier if the manufacturers added bluetooth to the device for easier connection to such external devices.
    I think you are thinking old fashioned thoughts Arthur, what I reckon is the true answer is ----- Most people have some form of mobile phone on them, especially when travelling. Now those phones are smart enough to change the time as they pick up signals from towers in their range ( my $120.00 dumb phone does ) so why can't we have a phone that is enabled to broadcast to a "paired" device such as your camera when it is on and in close proximity to the phone to tell the camera to update the time settings. That way there would be no need for excessive battery drain running a gps as the phone and camera would only have to talk to each other briefly every time the camera was turned on.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allie, I didn't think you were the sort of girl who would 'kiss 'n' tell'.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my ----- get a room will yas please.

This is a family oriented forum remember.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoilsport!

- - - Updated - - -

Now, getting back to the thread, I've just been on the phone to both Telstra and Motorola.

Telstra said yes, they do initiate the signal to change the time.

Motorola told me to turn off the DST updates and turn it back on again on Sunday.

In the four years I've had the phone not once has the DST update been done on time, usually about a month later.

There is possibly a gliche in my phones software, but that time wind-back I got yesterday had to have originated from somewhere.

As I said above, I've turned off the auto update and will just do it manually.

Thank you all for your mostly helpful (?) suggestions. Oh, and I also loved reading the less than helpful ones too. That's what makes this forum such a great one.
    Last edited by Cage; 03-04-2013 at 12:35pm.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the items we have to maintain on the AP server is the Timezone file (via an automatic patch).
    It controls all of the TZs.

The server is set on AEST/AEDT and your user profile can be set to your local TZ, the software adjusts all the posts to your TZ
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not just daylight savings, for travelling photographers passing through differing time zones either nationally or internationally, another thing less to think about.
    Would be nice. Would require a connection to a telco though. If you had a GPS chip or module your camera could receive GMT but it would still need to know what time zone it was in.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Granville View Post
    ...... If you had a GPS chip or module your camera could receive GMT but it would still need to know what time zone it was in.

It knows this because it's a GPS device ... which by default are all location based devices

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't it be nice, should be very simple as well, if camera makers could enable such a thing.

No you don't want to do that. I've just finished fixing a mate's photos so they could be synchronised to his GPS tracks. Put your camera in GMT if you want to geo-tag and leave it there.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    ....... Put your camera in GMT if you want to geo-tag and leave it there.
    LOL! Andrew has very little time for geotagging images.
    I'm pretty sure he neither cares for it, nor does he know of the term geo tag!

I, on the other hand .....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12